• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keep the Kid Line Together Next Season?

Phil

4. Not at all sure that Gallant is going to see it this way, but I’d be fine with reuniting Alexis Lafreniere, Filip Chytil and Kaapo Kakko to start the season as the third line. 

The kids are comfortable and confident with each other. They bring out each individual’s best. It is important that each gets off to a strong start. 

I wouldn’t get hung up on the “top six” label as it either would or would not apply.

So if Lafreniere does not flip to right wing (and I’m not sure why that became such an enduring issue last season), the Blueshirts’ right side lineup of Kakko, Sammy Blais, Julien (Still Here) Gauthier and Vitali Kravtsov combined for 10 NHL goals in 106 games last season and have produced an aggregate 50 career goals in 406 games. 

https://nypost.com/2022/07/21/matthew-tkachuk-trade-is-merely-just-a-dream-for-rangers/

Ehhh, I can go either way with this.  I'm not so enamored with the "Kid Line" so much as to keep it in tact through "hell or high blood pressure".  If it works, sure what the fuck?  Why not?

I think as these guys mature, their games may mesh better with guys like Trochek or Zibby, or maybe even become better special teams players that prosper in the bottom 6 (Kakko).

From the perspective that they're comfortable together, I'm mostly OK with the idea. My worry is that if you do this, it puts Kravtsov very much in a boom or bust scenario in which he's competing pretty directly with someone like Dryden Hunt to play on the Panarin line. That could be a dangerous proposition given what happened the last time around.

But assuming this is the case, I don't think this is very bad at all:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Blais

Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko

Goodrow-Carpenter-Hunt/Reaves

Reaves/Hunt

Gauthier can get waived for all I care.

• Like 1

I’m sure we will see them together a bit, but I think there is a missing element, and I don’t think Kakko is a fit there. 

I’d put them together if they had the icetime and could be a kid “pizza” line. 

i think I’d rather see Goodrow- Chytil - Kakko as a third line. I think Lafreniere needs a shit-stirrer on his line, and Kakko needs to be the go-to guy on his line.

Lafreniere with Zibanejad and Kreiders speed and size, they all create room for each other. Trocheck with Blais or Kravtsov. Eventually Lafreniere is going to be feeding a RW named Kravtsov, Cuylle or Othmann some juicy one timers.
Kakko didn’t fit with Panarin, he didn’t fit with Zibanejad- he was trying to adjust his game. He plays his best when he wants to go out there and take over. With Goodrow and Chytil, he can do that. 

• Like 2

I really don't want to keep the kid line together next season.  I guess I am ok with trying it out for a few games but we need top 6 production out of some of the guys on that line. Based on what we've seen so far that seems unlikely to happen with them playing together again.

I really want Chytil out of the picture.  I think both of the other guys are more important and both of them need a proven C to support their growth.

Kakko seems like a good fit with either Zibanejad or Trocheck.  Lafreniere should be playing with one of those guys also, even if it means he has to go to RW.

Edited by Br4d

Just now, Long live the King said:

Fully on board with the kid line.

Cuylle (20) - Chytil (22) - Krav (22)

That'd be a good 3rd line however you're still watching Chytil like a hawk because the guys on either side of him need support also if they're going to turn into what they should be.

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

This. At this point we need our 1OA and 2OA to assume top 6 roles if we're going to be successful. We can keep the kid line together if we're planning on that being our first or second line, but we're not. We can't have Laf and Kakko playing 10m a night and wondering when they'll break out. If they don't we're back to the drawing board as a franchise - we need them to. Give them the time to start the season, they earned it in the playoffs this year and see what happens. For both of them the approach needs to be the same at this point - get serious about performance in your careers or it's time for a trade. 

Edited by Valriera

11 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Cuylle can’t skate, Chytil can’t defend, Kravtsov doesn’t try. They getting lit up. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

Cuylle can’t skate, Chytil can’t defend, Kravtsov doesn’t try. They getting lit up. 

Why do you say Krav doesn't try?

Krav on a wing with Panarin is what I want to see this year. And Laf on his off wing on the top line.

Othmann- Chytil- Kakko is what I wanna see.

Cuylle Goodrow- Blais

I seem to always forget someone.....

Edited by jsm7302
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Krav on a wing with Panarin is what I want to see this year. And Laf on his off wing on the top line.

Cuylle Goodrow- Blais

Carpenter, assuming you have Reaves as 13th.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Cuylle Goodrow- Blais

That’s why he got sent down last year. 

i love Kravtsov, he can be a hard worker in both ends, and other times - not so much. It was more of a joke

thats a nasty bottom 6 when Cuylle and Othmann are ready

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil said:

From the perspective that they're comfortable together, I'm mostly OK with the idea. My worry is that if you do this, it puts Kravtsov very much in a boom or bust scenario in which he's competing pretty directly with someone like Dryden Hunt to play on the Panarin line. That could be a dangerous proposition given what happened the last time around.

But assuming this is the case, I don't think this is very bad at all:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Blais

Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko

Goodrow-Carpenter-Hunt/Reaves

Reaves/Hunt

Gauthier can get waived for all I care.

Krav should have been on the First line last year.

Don't believe me?    Just ask him!

Kind of torn on this.

On the one hand, if that line stays together and continue where they left off they’ll be a great 3rd line and a real asset.

On the other hand, Laffy spending another year on the 3rd line playing 12 minutes-ish a night feels like we’re doing it wrong. I can’t shake the feeling that this is the year to elevate him to the position of a 1st OA/franchise type player. 
I’d opt for playing him with KZ. 

The ice time is the issue.

Im fine with playing them all together.

But if that means 12-13 minutes a night, it’s probably an issue.

The PP is not changing. You’re probably swapping out Trochek with Strome.

Maybe LaFreniere gets some looks up there, but that’s probably it.

If you want more ice time with the kids, you’re going to have to play them with Kreider and Zib, or Panarin and Trochek.

Thats where the minutes are going. 

You could obviously shuffle. 
Play them together and throughout the game give whichever a shift on the top-2 lines. But I don’t know that Gallant will do that.

In fact, I doubt it.

• Like 1

Laf needs more responsibility; he is on the cusp of breaking out. You can see it in his game through out the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs. Absolutely should be playing with CK and Zib.

Im also allowing Krav to step into that RW on the second line due to potential. We know Kakkos game and promoting someone who hasnt excelled would be the equivalent of making Chytil our second line center. Why?

Kakko and Chytil had some decent chemistry and we have a glut of LW prospects who can play on line 3 and have some offensive capable linemates with still sheltered minutes. So it is still the kid line....just with a different kid on the LW.

Having Goodrow and Blais on the fourth line makes our fourth line an instant upgrade over last year.

This seems pretty obvious to me. Am I missing something?

Edited by jsm7302
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Laf needs more responsibility; he is on the cusp of breaking out. You can see it in his game through out the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs. Absolutely should be playing with CK and Zib.

Im also allowing Krav to step into that RW on the second line due to potential. We know Kakkos game and promoting someone who hasnt excelled would be the equivalent of making Chytil our second line center. Why?

Kakko and Chytil had some decent chemistry and we have a glut of LW prospects who can play on line 3 and have some offensive capable linemates with still sheltered minutes. So it is still the kid line....just with a different kid on the LW.

Having Goodrow and Blais on the fourth line makes our fourth line an instant upgrade over last year.

This seems pretty obvious to me. Am I missing something?

I think that’s probably best scenario

You shift LaFreniere to RW with Kreider and Zib.

You start with Kravtsov on RW with Panarin and Trochek.

Chytil and Kakko and someone on line 3. 

Hopefully that works enough to where you can play a 4th line of Goodrow Blais and Carpenter 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think that’s probably best scenario

You shift LaFreniere to RW with Kreider and Zib.

You start with Kravtsov on RW with Panarin and Trochek.

Chytil and Kakko and someone on line 3. 

Hopefully that works enough to where you can play a 4th line of Goodrow Blais and Carpenter 

Carpenter/Reaves/Hunt

Pretty much any of em will work on a line with two upgraded commodities.

So for me....camp is about who can be an offensive threat and will develop best at 3rd line RW and who can fill the role on the 3rd D pair with Schneider. 2 open spots for kids to take over.

I'm really freaking excited for next season.