• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Panarin's Contract a Detriment to the Team?

Capt
Message added by Phil,

This conversation is being broken out from the "What Happens at Center?" thread because it's better to be had in its own dedicated thread than to continue to bump a now fairly useless thread about center depth. Please keep Panarin contract talk here.

30 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

How are you making this argument after spending multiple pages [rightfully] saying Panarin is worth his contract?

Devil’s advocate gonna devil’s advocate?

No, I'm actually playing Devil's advocate LOL. 

But I've also said this whole time that I'm not basing my argument on one poor playoff performance. 

Should he have another, well then that's a trend... 

Edited by Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

But I've also said this whole time that I'm not basing my argument on one poor playoff performance. 

Exactly this. One bad playoffs is one bad playoffs. Two is a trend. Reassess then.

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly this. One bad playoffs is one bad playoffs. Two is a trend. Reassess then.

It depends on how many games. I mean let's say the team pulls a Tampa vs Columbus circa 2019 when they got swept. Kucherov was a point/game playoff player previously, much like Panarin, but only had 2 points in 3 games in getting swept after he put up a 128 point season. There were major questions surrounded the team and Kucherov. Sometimes shit streaks just happen at an inconvenient time, that really have no bearing on whether a player can get it done. That's why I've said it before and I'll say it again. All teams, and players, kind of hope they are clicking at the right time. Grinding through when a team isn't clicking or hits a rough patch in play is so tough. I felt that way most of this last playoff run to be honest. Just finding ways to win was admirable, but they rarely looked like they were in control.

Kucherov is actually a great example. When they got swept by CBJ, there were rumors that the team were gonna dump him, just like how Capt is suggesting the Rangers do to Panarin over largely the same disappointment. Kuch flipped a switch and came back like a house on fire, so maybe Panarin does, too?

Just now, Phil said:

Kucherov is actually a great example. When they got swept by CBJ, there were rumors that the team were gonna dump him, just like how Capt is suggesting the Rangers do to Panarin over largely the same disappointment. Kuch flipped a switch and came back like a house on fire, so maybe Panarin does, too?

maybe but i doubt it.  Panarin is scared to be checked.  He runs away from contact. Kuch was never like that

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

It depends on how many games. I mean let's say the team pulls a Tampa vs Columbus circa 2019 when they got swept. Kucherov was a point/game playoff player previously, much like Panarin, but only had 2 points in 3 games in getting swept after he put up a 128 point season. There were major questions surrounded the team and Kucherov. Sometimes shit streaks just happen at an inconvenient time, that really have no bearing on whether a player can get it done. That's why I've said it before and I'll say it again. All teams, and players, kind of hope they are clicking at the right time. Grinding through when a team isn't clicking or hits a rough patch in play is so tough. I felt that way most of this last playoff run to be honest. Just finding ways to win was admirable, but they rarely looked like they were in control.

It's not even points, for me.

Is he getting the puck to the middle? (Not his body, the puck)

Is he driving the play or giving the puck up as soon as pressured?

Is he turning it over or making smart plays? If the plays not there, it's not there.

That's what I'm looking for.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

It's not even points, for me.

Is he getting the puck to the middle? (Not his body, the puck)

Is he driving the play or giving the puck up as soon as pressured?

Is he turning it over or making smart plays? If the plays not there, it's not there.

That's what I'm looking for.

100%, pts. aren't everything . Every one of those questions elicits  negative response.  

Kucherov is nothing like Panarin.  He had yrs of quality playoff performances before that yr.  Does nobody remember him when the Rangers were playing in the ECF?

Kucherov also has a nasty cheap streak in him.  He's a dirty player, kind of like Malkin.  I wish Panarin would show some of that

1 hour ago, Capt said:

Kucherov is nothing like Panarin.  He had yrs of quality playoff performances before that yr.  Does nobody remember him when the Rangers were playing in the ECF?

Kucherov also has a nasty cheap streak in him.  He's a dirty player, kind of like Malkin.  I wish Panarin would show some of that

Confused High Quality GIF

spacer.png

Edited by The Dude

3 hours ago, Capt said:

Fair.

But they knew who he was when they signed him.

You can’t expect him to be someone other than himself.

I’m trusting the translation is good.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/artemi-panarin-scoffs-at-rumors-rangers/

In a Russian interview posted on the YouTube channel for Sports-Express, Panarin was asked specifically about that criticism and subsequent trade rumors.

“Speculators,” Panarin shot back. “I haven’t heard of such a thing firsthand.”

Artemi Panarin scoffs at trade rumor

“I’m sure I could play better,” Panarin responded. “What did they write there? I really don’t know… I’m already used to not paying attention.”

Panarin expressed his displeasure with the rumors, not necessarily for himself but for his grandfather who read the reports. That prompted him to question where Artemi might get traded.

“I’m just shocked by this. Where are they trading me? They can’t trade me,” Panarin stated. “If these people understood at least a little, they would know that my contract [has a no-move clause] and a trade is impossible.”

9 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Art Ross trophy incoming.

the avengers hulk GIF

And this could even be true, and there will be a certain contingent of fans who will downplay it and say it only matters what he does in the playoffs... Said there will be 5 months of that. Which will get tired quick. 

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

And this could even be true, and there will be a certain contingent of fans who will downplay it and say it only matters what he does in the playoffs... Said there will be 5 months of that. Which will get tired quick. 

This whole conversation has been an exercise in absurdity from the outset.

Ridiculous.

apparently Panarin is in Russia with no fear of having any problems coming back.  

also, in the video they mentioned that the rangers were in talks to bring Radulov here at the trade deadline, which Panarin was somewhat excited about at the time.  i dont really remember there being any talk about Radulov being sought after by Drury but i wonder how would've done with Panarin instead of Copp. Radulov is more of a bull, albeit old

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

apparently Panarin is in Russia with no fear of having any problems coming back.  

also, in the video they mentioned that the rangers were in talks to bring Radulov here at the trade deadline, which Panarin was somewhat excited about at the time.  i dont really remember there being any talk about Radulov being sought after by Drury but i wonder how would've done with Panarin instead of Copp. Radulov is more of a bull, albeit old

That's interesting. I've wanted Radulov here for years but he looked absolutely cooked the last two years. I mean, he had four goals in 71 games last season. Four.

I've got some buyers remorse on Copp, but I don't think you can compare the two. Radulov would probably have been in place of Motte, on their fourth line. For the price, I'd rather Motte.