• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Panarin's Contract a Detriment to the Team?

Capt
Message added by Phil,

This conversation is being broken out from the "What Happens at Center?" thread because it's better to be had in its own dedicated thread than to continue to bump a now fairly useless thread about center depth. Please keep Panarin contract talk here.

Just now, The Dude said:

96. In what you consider a down year. Seriously. 

When did I write he had down season? I think his $11.5 could be better spent.  He's not t the level with those who get $ like him.  Post after post refers to him 100 pt guy.  He's never hit 100 points in one yr, ever.  PPG yes of course.  I write the sky is blue & I'm goofy & disingenuous.  Some here won't even give me the facts in this discussion.  Yet I'm disingenuous?

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

its the collective overpayment for players as maybe Panarin by a $1M or so, Trouba, Reeves, probably Goodrow, and even probably Fox is what getting us in cap trouble.  Shave off a Mill here and there and we're talking about $4-$5M in additional cap

For me, I think they paid Trouba 1.5–2 too much, Goodrow about $600K too much. Panarin I'm fine at his number. Same with Fox. They're too high profile at their respective positions to buy an argument they're hurting the team.

So I'm looking at more like $2–2.5M in extra room.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

For me, I think they paid Trouba 1.5–2 too much, Goodrow about $600K too much. Panarin I'm fine at his number. Same with Fox. They're too high profile at their respective positions to buy an argument they're hurting the team.

So I'm looking at more like $2–2.5M in extra room.

I think Fox is little overpaid but i guess that’s today’s NHL. He basically had one awesome season and got paid for it. I think if he was getting $7 or 7.5 or something that looks remotely like a bridge deal, we’d be in a better shape. 

7 minutes ago, Capt said:

When did I write he had down season? I think his $11.5 could be better spent.  He's not t the level with those who get $ like him.  Post after post refers to him 100 pt guy.  He's never hit 100 points in one yr, ever.  PPG yes of course.  I write the sky is blue & I'm goofy & disingenuous.  Some here won't even give me the facts in this discussion.  Yet I'm disingenuous?

So is he overpaid or is the money better spent elsewhere? Because you keep flip flopping.

Just now, Pete said:

So is he overpaid or is the money better spent elsewhere? Because you keep flip flopping.

Both.  I agree with others here he's overpaid by bout $2M. I further believe that his production my deem him $9.5M guy but I don't want him on my team even then.  I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.   He's too perimeter for me & his playoff performance to me is not some fluke but harbinger of things to come.  The Wilson incident shook him up.  Frankly over his tenure here tough teams that employ tight checking gives him fits. I'm not tying my hopes in him being the guy.  I'm moving on right now while my kids careers re in front of them.  Igor is in his prime, I'm not wasting it tying it to  guy who won't compete when things get tough.  Maybe I'm too caught up in the playoff performance.  However combine it with the Wilson thing & strungles with the Isles, Bruins, etc nd I'm moving on.  

I never implied that he's awful, ever.  I just don't think one dimensional wingers should be $ like he is.  I don't think it's. recipe to  cup.     

3 minutes ago, Capt said:

I never implied that he's awful, ever.  I just don't think one dimensional wingers should be $ like he is.  I don't think it's. recipe to  cup.     

This is actually the fairest argument to be made. But I'm not letting one bad playoffs make that call. Not yet. Two is a pattern. If he's a shrinking violet for another one, I would imagine they'd actually look into moving him.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

This is actually the fairest argument to be made. But I'm not letting one bad playoffs make that call. Not yet. Two is a pattern. If he's a shrinking violet for another one, I would imagine they'd actually look into moving him.

Drury seems the type of a GM who does not appreciate soft play, especially in the playoffs. I would assume he’d start looking for a trading partner for Panarin if Panarin keeps running away from any physical contact in the playoffs 

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Drury seems the type of a GM who does not appreciate soft play, especially in the playoffs. I would assume he’d start looking for a trading partner for Panarin if Panarin keeps running away from any physical contact in the playoffs 

It makes sense, since he already started offering Kakko around at the draft....and Kakko runs from physical contact too.

14 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Exactly. That's why I think another shrinking violet performance is gonna be a death sentence. You can tolerate it while he gets you there in the regular season, but guys like that get paid the big bucks to perform when it matters most. I know he had like 14 points and that game-winner in the Pens series, but the characterizations of his play from most are accurate. Entirely predictable and small.

• Bullseye 1

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It makes sense, since he already started offering Kakko around at the draft....and Kakko runs from physical contact too.

I don't know that he runs from physical contact, I just think he's kind of a big softie for a player his size. Kinda like the guy he plays like — old age Rick Nash. Maybe a little less "wow, it's a nice city," and a little more "I'll murder your fuckin' family?" Just a suggestion.

7 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Why would anyone think that ll of sudden he's going into traffic?  Some point through 4 rounds of playoffs the perimeter game is going to be taken from him.  He's shown nothing in terms of battling through when things get tough.  I'm sorry but someone making $11.5M should not have those questions surrounding his game, ever.  To me  guys like him should be the complementary player, not the go to guy.  His money means the second, his play the first.  It doesn't matchup.  To me JT Miller overpaid @ $9M is better.  He fills  need & will play the game anyway you need.  He's got edge combined with skill that should show up during the playoffs.  He's proven to produce during the regular season too.  Is he s talented?  No, but he's wht they need

1 minute ago, Capt said:

Why would anyone think that ll of sudden he's going into traffic?  Some point through 4 rounds of playoffs the perimeter game is going to be taken from him.  He's shown nothing in terms of battling through when things get tough.  I'm sorry but someone making $11.5M should not have those questions surrounding his game, ever.  To me  guys like him should be the complementary player, not the go to guy.  His money means the second, his play the first.  It doesn't matchup.  To me JT Miller overpaid @ $9M is better.  He fills  need & will play the game anyway you need.  He's got edge combined with skill that should show up during the playoffs.  He's proven to produce during the regular season too.  Is he s talented?  No, but he's wht they need

No way Panarin is a complimentary guy, he definitely is a go to superstar. He just has to stop running away

Just now, Phil said:

Tkachuk is what they needed. Same position. Same-ish production. Mean as fuck.

100%.  Couldn't happen unless P@nri@n went to the Flames.  Detriment to the team, exactly my point.