• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft LW Adam Sykora in 2nd Round (63rd Pick)

9 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He's a wing.

They have him listed as a LW who plays either.  You'd think that'd make him a candidate for conversion to RW but the Rangers won't have much say on that unless he is in North America.  Also he's probably far enough out that the current LW/RW situation just does not apply.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

They have him listed as a LW who plays either.  You'd think that'd make him a candidate for conversion to RW but the Rangers won't have much say on that unless he is in North America.  Also he's probably far enough out that the current LW/RW situation just does not apply.

I don't get the impression he's as far out as others think. Not on the team next year, but a possibility within the next 2-3 years. He's also not the type of player where side really matters.

11 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Can we stop whining about the LW thing? If everything goes perfectly, he's a third line wing - either side - debuting in three years. 

No.

He doesnt look too quick, either.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Draft LW Adam Sykora in 2nd Round (63rd Pick)

As long as they don't sign Motte to anything over 3-4 years, this kid will slide into the NHL on 4th line with 3rd line potential just as Krieder's deal expires and after Panarin's deal expires. There's going to be room.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

Several of the scouting reports I read say he plays both wings, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Reports also say he's one of the best defensive forwards in the draft meanin he's a tenacious backchecker. Based on the rankings this looks to be great value and definitely not a reach.

I don't think drafting for need makes any sense at all in the NHL. Aside from the first 5 picks or so these are tiny children years away from making the league with tons of developing and growing up to do. Rosters and needs change in 3-4 years time. You want to draft the best player available when it's your turn to pick, and worry about who plays where years down the line. Positional need can be a tie breaker, but you don't reach for a center in the 2nd round and you certainly don't leave a player you have graded higher on the board because of "need". Drafting is about getting good players. Not addressing issues with roster construction. IMO of course.

I have no problem with this pick. 

• Bullseye 2

1 hour ago, Gravesy said:

I don't think drafting for need makes any sense at all in the NHL. Aside from the first 5 picks or so these are tiny children years away from making the league with tons of developing and growing up to do. Rosters and needs change in 3-4 years time. You want to draft the best player available when it's your turn to pick, and worry about who plays where years down the line. Positional need can be a tie breaker, but you don't reach for a center in the 2nd round and you certainly don't leave a player you have graded higher on the board because of "need". Drafting is about getting good players. Not addressing issues with roster construction. IMO of course.

I have no problem with this pick. 

Yes & no.

If you look at some of the statistics(below) these draft picks literally become scratch lottery tickets after the third round. I agree with everything that you laid out above, up until the third round.

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

Starting with the 4th round you really are looking for projects and diamonds in the rough. The probability that they are going to turn into marginal NHL players(nevermind the next Henrik Lundqvist) is so slim that I don't see any issue with drafting for need, especially if your organization is deep on defense and wings, and you want to "stock the cuppard" with more centers.

That doesn't mean if a highly regarded player has slipped through the cracks into the 4th round that you ignore him if he is the best player available, it's just something that teams can adopt as a general strategy to drafting.  

57 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Yes & no.

If you look at some of the statistics(below) these draft picks literally become scratch lottery tickets after the third round. I agree with everything that you laid out above, up until the third round.

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

Starting with the 4th round you really are looking for projects and diamonds in the rough. The probability that they are going to turn into marginal NHL players(nevermind the next Henrik Lundqvist) is so slim that I don't see any issue with drafting for need, especially if your organization is deep on defense and wings, and you want to "stock the cuppard" with more centers.

That doesn't mean if a highly regarded player has slipped through the cracks into the 4th round that you ignore him if he is the best player available, it's just something that teams can adopt as a general strategy to drafting.  

The chances of the player even becoming NHL caliber after the third round drop significantly. These players are also more likely to take more time making it to your NHL team. I can't remember the last time a team had the same needs on draft day that they did 5 years later. 

Unless you're Philly and a goalie. Shit even Toronto pretty much address their situation on defense over a two to three year span. 

On 7/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, Pete said:

As long as they don't sign Motte to anything over 3-4 years, this kid will slide into the NHL on 4th line with 3rd line potential just as Krieder's deal expires and after Panarin's deal expires. There's going to be room.

People complaining like he’s going to make the team next season 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...