• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brennan Othmann, Will Cuylle Knocking on the Door

jsm7302

I think we should leave our 50 goal scorer and 96 point player exactly where they are, and maybe let a young player who still getting his feet wet and it hasn't had much success as a left wing break in on the right wing... So, Lafreniere. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, rmc51 said:

Send Othmann back. It’s not about proving more statistically in the OHL. It’s about allowing him to keep maturing both physically and emotionally, delaying the ELC timer another season, and having more clarity at the NHL-level in terms of roster makeup and where he might fit. All that stuff is more important than him getting at most 10-12 minutes on the 3rd line a year early.

I’m not sure if it works like this, but do the Rangers have any pull to request Othmann’s OHL team to try him out at RW? “We’ll send him back to the O if you do xyz or we’ll keep him up here in NY”. I don’t really know how these relationships work.

How about center? 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I think we should leave our 50 goal scorer and 96 point player exactly where they are, and maybe let a young player who still getting his feet wet and it hasn't had much success as a left wing break in on the right wing... So, Lafreniere. 

Kreider had 4 more goals at ES than Lafreniere. TOI wasn’t close. Neither were linemates. 

again, it’s about what makes the team better, not Kreider. He can still go to the net coming from the RW, where Lafreniere doesn’t have his set-up pass on the right. 

27 minutes ago, josh said:

Kreider had 4 more goals at ES than Lafreniere. TOI wasn’t close. Neither were linemates. 

again, it’s about what makes the team better, not Kreider. He can still go to the net coming from the RW, where Lafreniere doesn’t have his set-up pass on the right. 

He apparently doesn't have a setup pass on the left, not sure if you saw his assist totals. 

Ah yes, that's because all of his linemates don't know what they're doing. Forgot that. 

No assists doesn’t mean no set up pass… it probably is a sign that his top linemate has never put up more than 23 points in his career. That’s only 4 more points than Lafreniere had goals and he’s more of a setup guy than a scorer. 

1 minute ago, josh said:

No assists doesn’t mean no set up pass… it probably is a sign that his top linemate has never put up more than 23 points in his career. That’s only 4 more points than Lafreniere had goals and he’s more of a setup guy than a scorer. 

You'd think he'd be making the guys around him better. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

You'd think he'd be making the guys around him better. 

We saw the same underachieving Chytil with Strome and Zibanejad, too. 

but right concept. That’s why you move Kreider over because it allows Lafreniere to be a better, more impactful player with Kreider (after coming back to earth) still putting up the same points he has throughout his career from the RW. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

We saw the same underachieving Chytil with Strome and Zibanejad, too. 

but right concept. That’s why you move Kreider over because it allows Lafreniere to be a better, more impactful player with Kreider (after coming back to earth) still putting up the same points he has throughout his career from the RW. 

I think you're overthinking it and making alot of assumptions. You don't try and fix what isn't broken, and you have 3 LWs and only 2 are producing enough in their role, so one has to try something else. 

If Kreider was going to move, he'd have moved this year. He's not moving so Lafreniere should get ready to, of he's going to be in a top 6 role next year. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you're overthinking it and making alot of assumptions. You don't try and fix what isn't broken, and you have 3 LWs and only 2 are producing enough in their role, so one has to try something else. 

If Kreider was going to move, he'd have moved this year. He's not moving so Lafreniere should get ready to, of he's going to be in a top 6 role next year. 

If Lafreniere is moving positions, just have him start training at center. Mostly kidding with a hint of “what if” in there.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

5on5 scoring wasn’t an issue?

Lafreniere was scoring at a higher rate at ES than Kreider 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Pete said:

I would hope he turns out half of what they are, but important to remember who's making the comparison... An NYR blogger.

True but there is definitely credence to the cited playing style and examples documenting the findings. I'm on board! Bring on Brennan Tkachuk!

• Cheers 1

Awesome. 2 more LWs. Wish they would try to convert either of them to RW or center.

Is Cuyelle even playing good? He was pretty unimpressive in preseason. Not that that's the best gauge. Honestly asking. Lots of hype about the only hope for redemption from the horrible Buch trade. 

Laf - Mika - Kakko
Bread - Chytil - Krav
Othmann - Trocheck - Kreider
Cuylle - Goodrow - Gauthier

That's a deep ass team if the (new) kids are ready.

Laf - Mika - Kakko
Bread - Chytil - Gaut/Krav
Kreider - Trocheck - Gaut/Krav
Cuylle - Brodz - Goodrow

If Othmann isn't ready, plus I'm not sure he can be called up currently. Would rather see Krav on the 3rd line cause I think that line could use some skill, and the 2nd line could use a net crasher like Gauthier. Gauthier on the 3rd line makes that line pretty one dimensional but that could be a good thing too, just a speedy pucks to the net line that would hopefully up the physical game as well.

Edited by Tonybologna