• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brennan Othmann, Will Cuylle Knocking on the Door

jsm7302

Brennan Othmann is right at the top of that list. The 2021 first-round pick was named as the first-team left winger after finishing second in the league with 50 goals and accumulating 97 points across 66 games. He added 24 points (nine goals and 15 assists) in 19 playoff games while captaining the Flint Firebirds to the Western Conference Final. Five of his postseason goals registered as game-winners.

His left-handed shot, which Rangers director of player development Jed Ortmeyer called "elite," is a signature trait. He used it frequently, averaging 4.39 shots on goal per game, but scouts also rave about his offensive IQ and competitiveness. The Rangers believe they have a middle-six winger who will bring scoring punch and some snarl.

Othmann has seemingly proven all there is to prove in the OHL, but is he ready for the jump to the NHL? That's the question that team president Chris Drury, head coach Gerard Gallant and the rest of the staff will be debating this fall.

A logical next step would be the American Hockey League, but Othmann won't be eligible to play for the Rangers' Hartford affiliate next season. Because he's only 19 (and won't turn 20 until Jan. 5), they'd be required to send him back to the OHL if he doesn't make the NHL roster.

That won't be the case for Will Cuylle, a 2020 second-round pick who came in behind Othmann as the OHL's second-team left winger.

He turned 20 on Feb. 5 and would be eligible to play for AHL Hartford next season if the Rangers choose to go that route. But he impressed them during last year's development camp and could push for an NHL spot out right out of the gate.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder can't match the skill level of Othmann, but his left-handed shot is considered more powerful and almost as effective. Plus, there are no concerns about whether he's physically ready to handle the NHL. Cuylle's size, strength and mean streak fuel belief that he's built to be an effective bottom-sixer who can use his muscle to get to the greasy areas on the ice.

Skating will be his biggest question mark, with Gallant wanting his third and fourth lines to play an in-your-face forechecking style. But Cuylle took on more defensive responsibility this season and became a go-to penalty killer, as evidenced by his three shorthanded goals during Windsor's playoff run.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/06/23/ny-rangers-prospect-report-brennan-othmann-cuylle-next-line/7710963001/

--

Good article evaluating the talent knocking on the door. Unfortunately a majority of them are not holes in the lineup but instead a logjam for already filled positions.

Most interesting takeaways IMO:

3rd line LW options: Othmann, Cuylle 

3rd pair D options: Robertson or Jones

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

• Phil changed the title to Brennan Othmann, Will Cuylle Knocking on the Door

Based on everything I've read to this point, the three players I think are closest to the NHL are Othman, Cuylle — both as soon as next season — and to a lesser extent, Robertson, who still feels a year or two away.

Garand is showing promise, but this crop of prospects really does feel like most would dramatically benefit (as would the organization) from extended stints in Hartford. I get that due to the cap, there's always a pressure on teams to backfill with ELC deals while their value can be leveraged, but not every player is capable of handling those responsibilities. Hell, Lafreniere and Kakko probably boths hould have begun in the AHL. They figured it out, but not without a fuck load of growing pains.

• VINNY! 1

Othmann is in the wierd position to come up here or go back to where he has already proven domination. Id say, let him cut his teeth up here, even if he is cycled in and out of the lineup regularly. Can he be returned to the AHL when he turns 20 in January if needed?

Cuylle on the fourth LW could be good and he is eligible to go to the AHL if he isnt ready. Cuylle would be a much larger and cheaper 4th liner for this coming year then say.....Motte.

Real talk, would Othmann get more benefit playing in Switzerland or another professional league next season like he did during 2020-21? I don't see why we don't loan him to a European team if we're able to. He doesn't need to do anything else in Juniors, that's for sure. 

I'd love Cuylle in a bottom-6 role next season. We need the ELC benefits and he's coming off a great year. I also wouldn't mind him in Hartford for a season to get acclimated if we fill out the roster somehow. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

Send Othmann back. It’s not about proving more statistically in the OHL. It’s about allowing him to keep maturing both physically and emotionally, delaying the ELC timer another season, and having more clarity at the NHL-level in terms of roster makeup and where he might fit. All that stuff is more important than him getting at most 10-12 minutes on the 3rd line a year early.

I’m not sure if it works like this, but do the Rangers have any pull to request Othmann’s OHL team to try him out at RW? “We’ll send him back to the O if you do xyz or we’ll keep him up here in NY”. I don’t really know how these relationships work.

• Keeps it 100 1

I think that list needs to be cut down to Laffy or Othmann.

Cuylle doesn't have the ceiling to fill that role in the top 6 (we shall see). The others are in the mid to later stage of their careers and I dont think it is reasonable to tell them to be something they aren't.

Key switched from Offense to Defense in the later stage of his pre-pro career so Othmann may be the best option. Maybe? Good point though!

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Real talk, would Othmann get more benefit playing in Switzerland or another professional league next season like he did during 2020-21? I don't see why we don't loan him to a European team if we're able to. He doesn't need to do anything else in Juniors, that's for sure. 

I'd love Cuylle in a bottom-6 role next season. We need the ELC benefits and he's coming off a great year. I also wouldn't mind him in Hartford for a season to get acclimated if we fill out the roster somehow. 

I believe so, yes. I'm not sure what benefit he'd have from another year in junior where he'll play predominantly against boys.

42 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Send Othmann back. It’s not about proving more statistically in the OHL. It’s about allowing him to keep maturing both physically and emotionally, delaying the ELC timer another season, and having more clarity at the NHL-level in terms of roster makeup and where he might fit. All that stuff is more important than him getting at most 10-12 minutes on the 3rd line a year early.

I’m not sure if it works like this, but do the Rangers have any pull to request Othmann’s OHL team to try him out at RW? “We’ll send him back to the O if you do xyz or we’ll keep him up here in NY”. I don’t really know how these relationships work.

I agree, which is why I think he's probably better served playing in Switzerland, than against boys.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Half of the playoffs Lafreniere broke out on the RW anyway even when he was playing LW. I think Laf is gonna get more looks there next season, especially alongside Mika and Kreider. 

I think Gallant pretty much said this. I dont remember where that came up but I remember that line of thinking being brought to light.

3 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Half of the playoffs Lafreniere broke out on the RW anyway even when he was playing LW. I think Laf is gonna get more looks there next season, especially alongside Mika and Kreider. 

I would imagine they actively work to fully transition him there. There are too many benefits to it. Stick to the middle of the ice, shows comfort on his "off" wing, and alleviates a left-wing log jam, and directly boosts the scarcity of high-end right-wings in the organization.

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

If Laf transfers and Krav pans out, then we have alleviated a big issue. Perfect way to bring Othmann and Cuylle in over the next couple of seasons.

Yup. They'll still have to address the 2C spot to ensure they don't get measurably worse, but they'll have their top-six wings effectively locked in, at least for a little while longer.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere

Panarin - ? - Kravtsov

To me for the benefit of the team Bread & CK20 need to cede playing time to ALF on LW. Can he play on his off wing, maybe but what was the point of drafting him when you knew you had a logjam at LW. And please don't tell me that WE HAD to draft him at 1. You could have traded the #1 pick and gotten a kings ransom for it. 

4 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I agree with this. Stop rushing and move these players to positions where they will benefit the organization much more in a setting where they are already dominant and would likely enjoy a lot of success. 

1 minute ago, Costa said:

To me for the benefit of the team Bread & CK20 need to cede playing time to ALF on LW. Can he play on his off wing, maybe but what was the point of drafting him when you knew you had a logjam at LW. And please don't tell me that WE HAD to draft him at 1. You could have traded the #1 pick and gotten a kings ransom for it. 

Please tell me the last time a team traded the number one pick and got better for it. 

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I agree with this. Stop rushing and move these players to positions where they will benefit the organization much more in a setting where they are already dominant and would likely enjoy a lot of success. 

Will they get better that way and take steps in development? Idk.... I feel like an uptick in competition will help development much more. I do get what you're saying. Allow them to garner that swagger from continuing to be dominant. At what point does a player say, F this, I've already proved myself here.

6 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Someone needs to learn to play RW out of Othmann, Cuylle, Kreider, Lafraniere and Panarin.

Kreider needs to move over this season to make room for Lafreniere. His game will be less affected than anyone else.

Both Othmann and Cuylle will play both wings in the NHL if they plan to be successful. There’s a chance one could make the team next season through the shoot-first mentality that’s currently missing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil said:

I believe so, yes. I'm not sure what benefit he'd have from another year in junior where he'll play predominantly against boys.

I agree, which is why I think he's probably better served playing in Switzerland, than against boys.

He needs to play against men, but if the only option is Switzerland, idk… 

31 minutes ago, josh said:

Kreider needs to move over this season to make room for Lafreniere. His game will be less affected than anyone else.

Both Othmann and Cuylle will play both wings in the NHL if they plan to be successful. There’s a chance one could make the team next season through the shoot-first mentality that’s currently missing. 

Yup. I keep seeing people shift Lafreniere to the right. I don’t understand it. He’s supposed to be our franchise player for the next, what, 15 years? He needs to play his position. Kreider is a vet and he should be able to take it in stride and realize that’s his role now.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:05 AM, RJWantsTheCup said:

Someone needs to learn to play RW out of Othmann, Cuylle, Kreider, Lafraniere and Panarin.

Panarin would make the most successful transition to RW imo. And we still havent found the right zuccarello/buchnevich replacement on Kreider-Zib RW. Panarin should be able to produce enough to make that work.