• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Name John Tortorella Head Coach

Phil

I'm not sure why they would have to buy him out.  He has a 12 team no trade list, and he probably wouldn't be too fussy in order to get out of there.  If Philly retained $2.5m, they'd be better off than with a buyout, and someone would look at him at $4.6 as a better second center than whatever they've got.  Philly might even get a decent return.

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I'm not sure why they would have to buy him out.  He has a 12 team no trade list, and he probably wouldn't be too fussy in order to get out of there.  If Philly retained $2.5m, they'd be better off than with a buyout, and someone would look at him at $4.6 as a better second center than whatever they've got.  Philly might even get a decent return.

I'm in agreement here. Just get him out of there. I felt Torts comments preseason about the locker room had something to do with Hayes. I imagine Torts came in and saw a light hearted, joking environment in the locker room and while you don't want the guys depressed in there; there certainly needs to be accountability and a serious vibe to right a sinking ship.

They send Hayes packing and they start to make progress imo. I don't know Kevin Hayes other than interviews and Chiclets appearances but I think the rift between him and Torts is insurmountable and a move must be made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Look at where this man has the Flyers after one year to weed out the lazy shit off his roster.

3rd in Metro. 7th in xGF% and HDCF% at 5v5. 4th PK%.

The only blemish is a horrific PP. Last in the league (10.6%). That's a talent problem. This is classic Torts, taking a roster that has no high end talent whatsoever and turning them into a high quality team.

I wanted him back 3 years ago instead of Gallant. I think the Rangers have a Stanley Cup if they didn't fuck that up.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Look at where this man has the Flyers after one year to weed out the lazy shit off his roster.

3rd in Metro. 7th in xGF% and HDCF% at 5v5. 4th PK%.

The only blemish is a horrific PP. Last in the league (10.6%). That's a talent problem. This is classic Torts, taking a roster that has no high end talent whatsoever and turning them into a high quality team.

I wanted him back 3 years ago instead of Gallant. I think the Rangers have a Stanley Cup if they didn't fuck that up.

Somewhere Kevin Hayes is disagreeing with this post....

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

He has the Flyers in a place they have no business being in, and I hate it. lol I'll always love Torts, though.

Say what you will about that guy, but he’s a good coach.

His teams are always well coached, they play very good team defense, play a physical and chippy style, and they’re typically pretty hard to play against.

Just as said though… no real high-end talent. 

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Say what you will about that guy, but he’s a good coach.

His teams are always well coached, they play very good team defense, play a physical and chippy style, and they’re typically pretty hard to play against.

Just as said though… no real high-end talent. 

Right. Laviolette isn't too far behind in that mentality either, really. His teams were usually astute defensively and blocked shots, as we are seeing now. The team is near the top of the league in that category, I believe. Trouba has been a shot-blocking machine all year. They've also had a good battle and compete level as a team. Yeah, it's just talent being the big difference. With the exception of Gaborik there were really no game-changers on offense. It was a steep drop off.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Right. Laviolette isn't too far behind in that mentality either, really. His teams were usually astute defensively and blocked shots, as we are seeing now. The team is near the top of the league in that category, I believe. Trouba has been a shot-blocking machine all year. They've also had a good battle and compete level as a team. Yeah, it's just talent being the big difference. With the exception of Gaborik there were really no game-changers on offense. It was a steep drop off.

Yeah. He had an elite scorer in Gabby and a great goalie and he played a style conducive to that. 

Tortorella is a fantastic coach. How anyone could think any differently is beyond me. This is a guy who has gone to not 1, not 2, not 3 but now 4 stops and has made a difference. Yes, the shelf life is almost always short. But he made a difference in Tampa. He mattered in New York with us. Ok, Vancouver was a mess the year he was there. But then he rebounded and was huge for Columbus. And again, now is showing his worth again in Philadelphia with a team that no one had being in the hunt this year. Love him, hate him. He does a good job. It likely won’t be a super long term marriage; it rarely ever is with him. But the guy does a good job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 1:18 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

Tortorella is a fantastic coach. How anyone could think any differently is beyond me. This is a guy who has gone to not 1, not 2, not 3 but now 4 stops and has made a difference. Yes, the shelf life is almost always short. But he made a difference in Tampa. He mattered in New York with us. Ok, Vancouver was a mess the year he was there. But then he rebounded and was huge for Columbus. And again, now is showing his worth again in Philadelphia with a team that no one had being in the hunt this year. Love him, hate him. He does a good job. It likely won’t be a super long term marriage; it rarely ever is with him. But the guy does a good job.

didnt he say he's going to retire after the Philthy gig?

On 12/27/2023 at 1:18 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

I think Vancouver was the only stint that wasn't long term. Tampa (7 seasons), New York (5), and Columbus (6), I would consider long term. He's also never been fired midseason, which is interesting. Laviolette has the same kind of track record. Never made 6 full seasons with a club, but fired midseason in 3 of his stints. Nobody ever talks about him as a short shelf life like Torts. I think it's just the nature of being a head coach. The ones who stick around one franchise for longer than what these guys have throughout their careers, seem to be an exception rather than the rule.

18 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think Vancouver was the only stint that wasn't long term. Tampa (7 seasons), New York (5), and Columbus (6), I would consider long term. He's also never been fired midseason, which is interesting. Laviolette has the same kind of track record. Never made 6 full seasons with a club, but fired midseason in 3 of his stints. Nobody ever talks about him as a short shelf life like Torts. I think it's just the nature of being a head coach. The ones who stick around one franchise for longer than what these guys have throughout their careers, seem to be an exception rather than the rule.

Honestly, five, six years is very long for an NHL head coach. The NHL seems to have the highest turnover rate of head coaches in all of sports. lol If we can get something like that with Laviolette here, then we should be so lucky. With the exception of Quinn, we've been pretty good at having coaches here for a bit. You could make an argument someone like AV was maybe here a year or two too long, but they still got some length from him.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Honestly, five, six years is very long for an NHL head coach. The NHL seems to have the highest turnover rate of head coaches in all of sports. lol If we can get something like that with Laviolette here, then we should be so lucky. With the exception of Quinn, we've been pretty good at having coaches here for a bit. You could make an argument someone like AV was maybe here a year or two too long, but they still got some length from him.

Plus, Quinn pretty much got fired because of a Dolan temper tantrum over Wilson-gate. 

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Plus, Quinn pretty much got fired because of a Dolan temper tantrum over Wilson-gate. 

Yeah that whole incident trigged one big cleanse of upper management and coaching and a letter to the league. That was definitely....something.