• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Name John Tortorella Head Coach

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Torts benched Hayes in their game before playing NYR, then healthy scratched him. So I think a combination of what Pete said happening in the third period of whatever game that was and Torts’ desire to set an example to the locker room: “It doesn’t matter if you’re the team’s top scorer. You’re sitting if you don’t play in all three zones,” or something like that. 

5 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

So why doesn't Torts like Kevin Hayes? Is it the goofy smile? Arrogant attitude? What gives?

This happened in the game before last night. It was late in the second period. He sat the whole third and was scratched last night.  Just the straw that broke Tort's back, again. Hayes was a healthy scratch earlier this season as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not seeing how they can.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/kevin-hayes

Almost $5M on dead cap for 2 years? 

Certainly would be a bit rough at first but considering how far they are from contending, it would line them up with only a 1.6m penalty for the last three years which lines up with when I’d assume the cap ceiling really opens up and assume they have high draft picks during the three years. 

20 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Certainly would be a bit rough at first but considering how far they are from contending, it would line them up with only a 1.6m penalty for the last three years which lines up with when I’d assume the cap ceiling really opens up and assume they have high draft picks during the three years. 

They still can't get past the $5M for 2 yrs IMO. 

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Kevin Hayes was pacing almost a PPG this year, 20g 75p. In general he's a 15-20g 50p guy. Some team will want him at 3 yrs 7m per, especially if there's a mediocre contract going back. 

I don't agree at all. Especially not with cap not rising at all next year. 

Just now, Pete said:

They still can't get past the $5M for 2 yrs IMO. 

Yeah, according to This article 

This would be a significant burden off the Flyers' shoulders, who would have a cap penalty of $2.25 million in the first year, followed by $4.75 million in each of the next two years, and $1.6 million for the three final years.

51 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah, according to This article 

I don't know, seems like a fluff piece. They say removing the total salary would be a burden off of the Flyers shoulders but they don't talk about how they manage the dead cap...

I'll have to look more at their cap situation tomorrow.

To be honest I'm not sure there's anybody in the NHL who can afford that much dead cap 2 years in a row. And I can't imagine why anybody would want to, to be honest.

Hayes was a pretty good defensive player for the rangers, to the point where he was penalty killing. He's not a Selke nominee but he's responsible. 

I kind of think they're stuck with him unless they're committed to being this kind of bad for the next three seasons after this one. That's quite some time to be abjectly terrible. 

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know, seems like a fluff piece. They say removing the total salary would be a burden off of the Flyers shoulders but they don't talk about how they manage the dead cap...

I'll have to look more at their cap situation tomorrow.

To be honest I'm not sure there's anybody in the NHL who can afford that much dead cap 2 years in a row. And I can't imagine why anybody would want to, to be honest.

Hayes was a pretty good defensive player for the rangers, to the point where he was penalty killing. He's not a Selke nominee but he's responsible. 

I kind of think they're stuck with him unless they're committed to being this kind of bad for the next three seasons after this one. That's quite some time to be abjectly terrible. 

That’s fair. I think what supports your argument is that Torts really isn’t the type that would do well with a full tear down and long term rebuild either. He does well with getting lesser teams to overachieve but I’m not sure a whole tear down. 

• Cheers 1