• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Name John Tortorella Head Coach

Phil

Would fit the identity they've had/had tried to imitate for the past 40 years or so. But the Flyers are such a clusterfuck right now and probably rebuilding/retooling in a stacked East where they'll be on the outside looking in for a while. Not sure Torts is the right guy. If they need a different ex-Rangers head coach, how about Quinn?

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Would fit the identity they've had/had tried to imitate for the past 40 years or so. But the Flyers are such a clusterfuck right now and probably rebuilding/retooling in a stacked East where they'll be on the outside looking in for a while. Not sure Torts is the right guy. If they need a different ex-Rangers head coach, how about Quinn?

my thinking exactly. Unless he just wants a paycheck. 

I doubt Torts takes a team in this much of a shambles.  They are nowhere close to even competing right now.  I would think Torts is a guy you bring in to get a team over the hump to get to a Conference Final or a Cup Final....not this kinda crap they have in Philly.

1 minute ago, Morphinity said:

Torts has only taken a team past the 2nd round twice in his entire career. Maybe he's not that great. 

Probably not, Morph...but do you see him taking on that dumpster fire over there??  LOL

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Probably not, Morph...but do you see him taking on that dumpster fire over there??  LOL

I think Torts is the right coach to get more out of a team than the sum of its parts. There's no doubt he makes a team work hard and dumps any player who doesn't completely buy in.

So, in a sense, I think he's the perfect coach for the Flyers. They're limited in what they can do because they have some bad contracts, but he'll squeeze whatever he can out of them. Will it be enough to actually do anything meaningful? Probably not. But at least they likely won't be floundering at the bottom of the league. 

1 hour ago, Morphinity said:

I think Torts is the right coach to get more out of a team than the sum of its parts. There's no doubt he makes a team work hard and dumps any player who doesn't completely buy in.

So, in a sense, I think he's the perfect coach for the Flyers. They're limited in what they can do because they have some bad contracts, but he'll squeeze whatever he can out of them. Will it be enough to actually do anything meaningful? Probably not. But at least they likely won't be floundering at the bottom of the league. 

This is true, man.  I just don't see him signing up for that mess in Philly.  Stranger things have happened though.  We shall see....

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'd prefer they floundered at the bottom of the league and I don't want to have to root against Torts so I would prefer he went elsewhere haha.

It’s almost awkward how in denial they are that it’s time to rebuild 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Read a rumor on the Score that the goon city is interviewing Quinn for their HC vacancy. Hope it happens for the sake of our division; we need some bottom feeders! 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:39 PM, Cash or Czech said:

I'm officially as much of an insider as Adam Herman. 

• Like 1

It's almost like the teams that hire him are trying to punish the players. 

"Oh, you lazy fucks... Now block shots!" 

It's also kind of admission that you built a talentless roster I need somebody to get the most out of the meat bags. 

Edited by Pete