• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Doubtful' Strome Returns to Rangers

Phil

4 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I don't want Strome back and am 50/50 on Copp.

Who's on the Hurt Locker and RRR?

Goodrow - ? - Blais

Reaves - Rooney - ?

I think if the kids go cold or the top line disappears, you have a big problem scoring. 

Stastny.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:05 AM, josh said:

I think we’re seeing the second line emerge in these playoffs. 

panarin - Zibanejad - Kreider

Kid line

Hurt Locker

RRR

This makes more and more sense. We cant have both top 6 lines be soft pussies, so take the best 3 pussies that’s already signed (panarin, zib, kreids) and put them together and make 3 «playoff style» lines featuring Laf, Goodrow, Kakko, Blais, Motte, Chytil++

On 5/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, Pete said:

I keep hearing the same shpeil that's either (A) unquantifiable "defensive responsibility" says who? or (2) something that's plagues the entire team in faceoffs.

Folks just have axes to grind.

I’ll give you that statistically, yes, his defensive prowess is difficult to quantify. 
But then I’ll ask… What do you think he is defensively?

Ill say he’s below average. Couple that with nearly 20 minutes a night, and that’s hard to overcome. Especially vs good teams.

And while it’s true that they have all had issues with face offs, Strome is the biggest culprit. Below 45% in regular season, and he took over 800 face offs. 2nd most on the team. 

37 minutes ago, josh said:

If they are letting Strome/Copp walk, it’s due to cap issues. They can’t go out and spend more on a “better” player with their cap crunch. 

This.

If you think you are going to get a better player for less money, you're not. Any player at the $5M price tag will have other warts and people will undoubtedly whine about them all year long.

Might as well dance with the devil you know.

Strome has elevated his physical play a lot in the playoffs. I forgot who it was last game, I think Fast, Strome absolutely barreled over him. Fast got pissy about it. It’s good to see. 2.6 hits/game in the playoffs. .55 hits/game in the regular season this year. Has more than half his yearly total in 10 games. Wild. He’s not afraid anymore to get involved in scrums. He showed he was willing to answer the bell physically if required after the Tom Wilson shit. No doubt he plays a safer game in the regular season, but the fact he amps it up physically when it gets tougher means a lot moving forward.

He’s getting slammed all over Rangersland it seems. Some of it is deserved as he has never really improved at faceoffs, sometimes yips away gimmes (hey so do Kreider and Kakko apparently), etc., but hard to question the guy’s heart when the competition is raised.

• JIMMY! 2

He's a poor skater, who plays the pivot, can't win a draw, and is prone to taking a disproportionate amount if minor penalties. He provides secondary scoring at a very good clip, during the regular season, but has dried up in the playoffs, and I expect that will continue, as long as the other guy struggles. Just a hunch.

2 goals in his last 21 playoff games. If you look at the pedigree, he also shrank under the physicality and tighter spaces in major junior. Not a great track record in the playoffs at any level.

The increased physical play during these playoffs smells a little off, to me. I think he'd rather be producing than running over helpless Jesper Fast, but is probably frustrated, as his cash cow Panarin has gone to ground, and is nowhere to be found. 

At that price point, it's a tough call for me. I'd maybe look for a little different kind of player, but it'll be virtually impossible to get more regular season points/dollar. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Strome has elevated his physical play a lot in the playoffs. I forgot who it was last game, I think Fast, Strome absolutely barreled over him. Fast got pissy about it. It’s good to see. 2.6 hits/game in the playoffs. .55 hits/game in the regular season this year. Has more than half his yearly total in 10 games. Wild. He’s not afraid anymore to get involved in scrums. He showed he was willing to answer the bell physically if required after the Tom Wilson shit. No doubt he plays a safer game in the regular season, but the fact he amps it up physically when it gets tougher means a lot moving forward.

He’s getting slammed all over Rangersland it seems. Some of it is deserved as he has never really improved at faceoffs, sometimes yips away gimmes (hey so do Kreider and Kakko apparently), etc., but hard to question the guy’s heart when the competition is raised.

That hit on Fast should have been a penalty but I guess he’s trying to get shit going since he’s not scoring or winning draws. Trying to help the team win still in different ways.

We arent grabbing a 2C in their prime for our budget.

Namestnikov for a swan song would be a good option; plus some Russian connection with Panarin.

Or Calle Jarnkrok or Marcus Johansen could be options. 

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

That hit on Fast should have been a penalty but I guess he’s trying to get shit going since he’s not scoring or winning draws. Trying to help the team win still in different ways.

This made me go back and re-watch the hit. Not a chance. It was a clean hard hit in the middle of a puck battle.

It’s at 24 minutes on the ESPN+ replay of the game for those that have it.

Edited by rmc51
  • Applause 1

46 minutes ago, Kevin said:

No, it shouldn't have.

And isn't that what you want your players to do, stay involved when they're not scoring?

Honestly I think sometimes people look for the name on the back of the Jersey before they complain because it doesn't seem like y'all are complaining about "players", they're complaining about people. 

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, it shouldn't have.

And isn't that what you want your players to do, stay involved when they're not scoring?

Honestly I think sometimes people look for the name on the back of the Jersey before they complain because it doesn't seem like y'all are complaining about "players", they're complaining about people. 

That’s not true. We’ve been complaining about everyone this post-season, Panarin the most. You’re just too obsessed with Strome and defending him.

You need to chill with the «everyone hates Strome for no reason» attitude. We all wants what’s best for the team. The investments that will be made this off-sesson will be very important for this team the next 3-4 years.

It’s fair to question if Strome as the #2C the next 4 years is the right way to go.

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Me too and McDavid and Tkachuk but I'm being a realist with our cap situation and realize those are pipe dreams. 

Scheifle's cap hit is $6.125 vs. resigning Strome for what $5.5 minimum.  Not sure how McDavid's $12.5 or Tkachuk's likely over $10 cap hit are relevant here.  

I'd also have no issue trading Panarin and running Laf - Scheifle - Kakko as my 2nd line.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

No, it shouldn't have.

Yes! You don’t? Everyone goes through stretches where they don’t score or hit the scoresheet. I was applauding him for not disappearing the way some guys do. He is still trying to help his team win. 

Careful with that chip on your shoulder with strome. It’s making you read things that aren’t there. I’ve been one of his biggest supporters all along.

I still think the biggest upside Kakko has shown to date is he's cheap and young.  I don't think he helps out enough on a 2nd line of a team looking to do big things. There's literally no meaningful production till now in any way. Hopes and dreams of being a 2OA is what he's known for and being pointed at around the league as a guy who's come up empty so far. This year he's added in the question mark of being able to stay healthy.

If he were on one of our rivals we would be laughing daily at how he's played out so far. Thank god he played with men.

I think they've made it far enough into the playoffs already this season where there's no serious consideration to moving Panarin this off season.  He would get at least one for more shot if not more at proving he's not only the guy to get you there but he could possibly be a consistent game changer once you do get there. Plus, we're not done this season so he's got at least two more opportunities to try and level out his overall playoff performance imo.

58 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Scheifle's cap hit is $6.125 vs. resigning Strome for what $5.5 minimum.  Not sure how McDavid's $12.5 or Tkachuk's likely over $10 cap hit are relevant here.  

I'd also have no issue trading Panarin and running Laf - Scheifle - Kakko as my 2nd line.

I apologize, I was under the impression he was going UFA this year and believed he would command more than his current contract. So, to keep this convo productive.....who would you trade to bring him back this way? I doubt Panarin waives to go to Winnipeg. Chytil and Krav?

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Yes! You don’t? Everyone goes through stretches where they don’t score or hit the scoresheet. I was applauding him for not disappearing the way some guys do. He is still trying to help his team win. 

Careful with that chip on your shoulder with strome. It’s making you read things that aren’t there. I’ve been one of his biggest supporters all along.

It's hard to tell by just scanning posts sometimes, especially with all the avatar switching LOL.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

You only get Schiefele for 1 year at that cap hit then you're back at square 1.

This is a terrible idea and highly unlikely.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2