• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Doubtful' Strome Returns to Rangers

Phil

26 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I dunno man. Putting that much stock in the kid line, which still hasn’t produced dick, is probably a ticket for missing the playoffs.

At what point do the Rangers put trust in the kids and use them in roles they should be in?

We'll all talk about saving money to resign Kakko and Lafreniere (I'm assuming people like Chytil again),but for what? Nobody seems willing to take that next step. These kids can't remain in this limbo and be used sparingly as 3rd liners and mixed and matched all over the lineup. They need the icetime and not giving I to them (as 1 oa and 2 oa) is going to make for a bad relationship when it comes time for their next contract or in fighting off temptation of them listening for offer sheets.

Is the team that much better using some stop gap as the 2 C? If you're thinking of Scheifele, you're ending the rebuild because you're emptying the cupboard by giving up Chytil and Kakko+ to get him.  Would Sheifele put the Rangers over the top? Would he work well with Panarin? They'd only have 2 years to find out. He's awesome and more of what this team needs. I don't think I pull that trigger though. 

I wouldn't risk the potential savings of using the kids and riding the growth into the next stage of this teams future for 2 years of uncertainty and having no cupboard AGAIN. 

If you want Scheifele and you are offering Zibanejad.  I think I'm in on that. Dump a contract, take on what I feel is a better player, and use the savings to get another center that is borderline 2/3 (Gourde), so you can stand on the fence and pick where the kid line fits, without misplacing this 2/3 center. I'd think the kids would develop at a better pace with an open door. 

Drury has some scary hard decisions to make this summer. I'd understand if he took a step back.

We all knew this year was their only window to go for it and spend up to the cap, having as much depth and as many good players as possible due to the kid line players being at their price point and having Strome at his. 

You're not building off of this season moving forward. You have to expect a step back and to concentrate on the long haul. 

45 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Why? We made the playoffs easy, even without the deadline acquisitions.

Was one of the youngest teams in the league aswell, do you think taking Strome out of that team changes the outcome that much?

But they are on the brink of elimination and barely got by Pittsburgh and their 3rd string goalie.   

I guess the answer to this is best left for when the season is actually over. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But they are on the brink of elimination and barely got by Pittsburgh and their 3rd string goalie.   

I guess the answer to this is best left for when the season is actually over. 

I'm just really struggling to see which (atleast) 3 of the teams in Metro that will finish above Rangers. Flyers, Blue Jackets not a chance, Devils and Isles also very unlikely, Penguins and Caps are declining.

I'm pretty sure The Metro will be Carolina/Rangers 1-2 for a while.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'm just really struggling to see which (atleast) 3 of the teams in Metro that will finish above Rangers. Flyers, Blue Jackets not a chance, Devils and Isles also very unlikely, Penguins and Caps are declining.

What good is that though when Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Toronto and Boston are still the top teams in the east. 

I'd rather build and not just be a team that is a lock for a 1st or 2nd round exit every year. I'd rather be realistic and try to build to be among the best, not who the best constantly walk through. 

10 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I mean as it stands right now maybe but who knows what happens this off season. Isles get two offensive guys and a new coach and they could very well be a force again. Devils have been getting better every year and they have some good guys as well. Flyers I’ll give you that team is in complete denial that they need to rebuild. 

Just now, The Dude said:

What good is that though when Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Toronto and Boston are still the top teams in the east. 

I'd rather build and not just be a team that is a lock for a 1st or 2nd round exit every year. I'd rather be realistic and try to build to be among the best, not who the best constantly walk through. 

lol I agree on that. I was just answering the "We're not going to make the playoffs next year anyway [because we lose Strome]. That's just a ridicilous take.

Ofcourse we need to "continue to build". But a lot that is waiting for the kids to get older. 4 out of 6 D's are under 24, the others is 28 and a UFA that will be gone. We have more than three 20-22 y olds forwards in our top 9. We barely have a skater over 30.

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

lol I agree on that. I was just answering the "We're not going to make the playoffs next year anyway [because we lose Strome]. That's just a ridicilous take.

Ofcourse we need to "continue to build". But a lot that is waiting for the kids to get older. 4 out of 6 D's are under 24, the others is 28 and a UFA that will be gone. We have more than three 20-22 y olds forwards in our top 9. We barely have a skater over 30.

2 of your 20 something forwards are due new contracts this summer and the other is due next season. 2 of the 3 have yet to be given practical top 6 minutes. They are not being used as actual contributors to the teams success. 

They are using young D men in top spots and are locked into contracts with just 2 of them (Fox andLindgren). Miller is going to command quite the raise from his entry level deal he's playing on and we are seeing that Schneider is pretty alright too.

Im pretty sure signing Strome or Copp puts them against the cap and gives them little room to give new deals to Lafreniere, Miller, Kakko and Chytil now and in a year. 

If you're into dealing Chytil and Kakko plus, there goes a chunk of the "youngest team". Do we want to keep it the youngest team? Or do we want to take another weak stab at this while getting rid of the youngest team. 

It's kind of a no win situation either way,  but there's potential upside if you go with the youth. Just depends how much people actually believe in the youth. I shit on them (kids) all year. So I shouldn't be one to talk.  Right now though, that's the direction I feel is best for the organization. 

27 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Maybe not, but if he’s traded it could be for someone who can be added to lineup regardless

His value is about a 2nd round pick at this point. I say this with Lias Anderson as a comparable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

PLD is a common name to read.

Not too many RFA guys who would be available unless it comes out of nowhere. Guys like Roope Hintz, Elias Pettersson, Josh Norris, Cirelli…if any of these guys are moved it’s a shock.

Problem with Dubois is the Jets have no invective to move him this soon. They have another year of control to keep working at a long-term extension. Unless the Rangers are offering someone like Lafrenière, Winnipeg isn't listening.

Scheifele is the guy, and Krav and/or Lundkvist are the pieces going the other way.

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

Problem with Dubois is the Jets have no invective to move him this soon. They have another year of control to keep working at a long-term extension. Unless the Rangers are offering someone like Lafrenière, Winnipeg isn't listening.

Scheifele is the guy, and Krav and/or Lundkvist are the pieces going the other way.

Yup. None of the teams for those players I listed have any incentive to even listen to an offer let alone actually pull the trigger.

I don't envy Winnipeg management with their roster situation- they've only got six forwards on the roster signed past this year.  If they get rid of Scheifele, it's for youth and a full rebuild, because there isn't a deal that makes them a better team.  If I were them I'd be signing the young players, poaching a choice veteran or two from free agency, and reloading.   I think Wheeler/Connor/Scheifele/Ehlers are too good to blow the team up, but what do I know?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm telling you, Scheifele for Krav and Lundkvist. They're both "rebuild" players and now players because both guys make their roster right away.

If they are getting multiple ready now cost controlled kids on ELC (or close to it in Krav’s case), I would want retention then.

But I’m trying to refrain from too much discussion and roster evaluation until the season is actually over lol

• Applause 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm telling you, Scheifele for Krav and Lundkvist. They're both "rebuild" players and now players because both guys make their roster right away.

Phil, you are going to have to add to that pot for a player of that caliber with a couple of cost controlled years. 2nd round pick and maybe even a depth player too.

45 minutes ago, fletch said:

I don't envy Winnipeg management with their roster situation- they've only got six forwards on the roster signed past this year.  If they get rid of Scheifele, it's for youth and a full rebuild, because there isn't a deal that makes them a better team.  If I were them I'd be signing the young players, poaching a choice veteran or two from free agency, and reloading.   I think Wheeler/Connor/Scheifele/Ehlers are too good to blow the team up, but what do I know?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

They also have Perfetti who's on the IR section and Barron who they sent down for AHL playoffs.  PLD and Svech were good contributors and several others who are RFA  They signed Kent Johnson #5oa pick from last year and pick 12th this year. 

30 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

If they are getting multiple ready now cost controlled kids on ELC (or close to it in Krav’s case), I would want retention then.

But I’m trying to refrain from too much discussion and roster evaluation until the season is actually over lol

Agreed. Let's put a pin in this one haha.

29 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Phil, you are going to have to add to that pot for a player of that caliber with a couple of cost controlled years. 2nd round pick and maybe even a depth player too.

Oh probably, but that's all salt and pepper to taste.

6 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

And Zib had his worst goalscoring season the last 4 years, Panarin had his worst season in a Rangers uniform. Fox was better last season. Miller and Laf look to have taken huge steps this post-season. These things equal out. Igor is elite, probably wont have as good a season as this, but he will still be really good.

Man your love for Strome is too much... We'll be fine without him, even manage to make the playoffs without the Great Stromer! Believe!

This has nothing to do with Strome. It's just reality that this team will likely be a bubble playoff team and does a pretty big chance they will be significantly worse unless they do something to address the horrendous defense.

What kind of crap is "Zib had his worse goal scoring season"? What a terrible argument. 31G and 81pts in 81 games... Panarin had his "worst" season with 96 points? By decimal places maybe, but a BS argument nonetheless. 

You can keep being blind to all this. We'll see how it plays out.  

You'd like to think that this is the start of a series of playoff appearances, building on this year's experience, leading to ever deeper runs.

One cause for concern is that these are the best production years for key members of our team Zib, Kreider, Panarin.

https://www.nhl.com/player/mika-zibanejad-8476459

https://www.nhl.com/player/chris-kreider-8475184

https://www.nhl.com/player/artemi-panarin-8478550

Potentially you have coinciding career years combined with Shesterkin's top ten save percentage for a season.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/best-save-percentage-in-one-season-by-nhl-goalies.html

Even though this feels like the start of a series of playoff appearances, this may be the Rangers best shot for a deep playoff run.  No guarantee that any of these players are going to match this production in subsequent years.

6 hours ago, fletch said:

Even though this feels like the start of a series of playoff appearances, this may be the Rangers best shot for a deep playoff run.  No guarantee that any of these players are going to match this production in subsequent years.

I’m going in hard with this! Especially after seeing that we’re able to send almighty CAR to the brink with another Game 7? Yeah, I’m in!! Crazy talk says this might be a Cinderella year. Get past CAR and everything is possible. I know what you’re thinking, “Dude, stop inhaling that doobie!” But it’s not like that. I think about the ragtag group Gallant almost won a Cup with in Vegas. Crazy stuff can happen. We have a legit shot at magic. 

Back on topic…I'm over the Strome show. The awesomeness he had with Panarin is over. He’s going to command waaaaay to much for us to keep him. Move on. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• 3 weeks later...