• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Doubtful' Strome Returns to Rangers

Phil

43 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Cmon man....that's all Strome was before he married Panarin here.

So what? Who cares? Why are you assuming that there will be any chemistry at all between Panarin and Namestnikov? His career high is 48 points playing with Stamkos and Kucherov.

Stop hating Strome more than you like your own team. This "get rid of him at all costs" stuff is garbage. I'm all for moving on, but for an upgrade.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

*cough* Namestnikov *cough*

Would likely be a fine signing, but subtracting Copp and Strome and bringing in another third line center still leaves you wanting, because it means Chytil is now 2c.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

So what? Who cares? Why are you assuming that there will be any chemistry at all between Panarin and Namestnikov? His career high is 48 points playing with Stamkos and Kucherov.

Stop hating Strome more than you like your own team. This "get rid of him at all costs" stuff is garbage. I'm all for moving on, but for an upgrade.

Or someone comparable. That's not Namestnikov.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I like Strome. He will walk due to cap constraints and team needs outside of his 2c role. In short, the team can't afford him. An upgrade for less money would be great but I don't see it happening. A stop gap option who will keep us in the same boat we are in for less money is what we need until we have some breathing room.

I looked at the upcoming UFA class and chose a name who would come at a decent price with decent output and possibly some growth potential in a 2c role. If you find another name in that list who can fulfill the needs for a smaller cap hit than Strome then by all means, let's discuss it. I didn't find one.

7 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I like Strome. He will walk due to cap constraints and team needs outside of his 2c role. In short, the team can't afford him. An upgrade for less money would be great but I don't see it happening. A stop gap option who will keep us in the same boat we are in for less money is what we need until we have some breathing room.

I looked at the upcoming UFA class and chose a name who would come at a decent price with decent output and possibly some growth potential in a 2c role. If you find another name in that list who can fulfill the needs for a smaller cap hit than Strome then by all means, let's discuss it. I didn't find one.

Got it, and I agree with a lot of this. 

It's the catch 22 that his playoff performance is making him cheaper, but also less desirable... Unless, again, they add a right wing to that line who can get them some time and space. 

9 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

The UFA class for centers is terrible. Bergeron would have been an ideal choice, but he already said Boston or retire. Goroux isn’t much different at this stage and he had already nixxed any trade here so he wouldn’t come anyway. Kadri is going to get 8-9M long term. Malkin wouldn’t come. Trocheck is literally the last option in spitting distance of Strome. He’ll probably cost as much or more than Strome.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't see this amazing chemistry between him and Panarin. 

It comes down to what he would take to stay.  No way do you over pay that guy.

28 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Are there any young RFA's C's that could be had for Kakko++ maybe?

The guy I'd bet dollars to donuts they go after is Scheifele. 6.5 x 2 years left, I believe. Perfect stop gap.

33 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Are there any young RFA's C's that could be had for Kakko++ maybe?

PLD is a common name to read.

Not too many RFA guys who would be available unless it comes out of nowhere. Guys like Roope Hintz, Elias Pettersson, Josh Norris, Cirelli…if any of these guys are moved it’s a shock.

Edited by rmc51

10 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Excellent point. What do we want to do if Strome decides he wants to stay at all costs and takes a team friendly deal?  He's not making a strong case for a raise or a long commitment with his output in the playoffs.

He seems like a staple in the locker room. They continually march him out for post game media. He's a mouthpiece when questions are asked. 

Do we as fans want him back if he only costs 4.5- 5 at whatever term? Are the Rangers wasting time with him? 

Going off the playoffs alone, I think I'm fine with letting him walk and moving Panarin to the Zibanejad line with Kreider on the RW. 

BUT, I roll with the kid line as the 2nd line. Build a new 3rd line with all the saved money and keeping cap options open to resign the kids. 

10- 93-20

13- 72- 24

21- FA/trade- 91/64

Not 29- Not 29- Not 29.

There aren't many options that work cap wise or through free agency. Can you upgrade on Stromes regular season at a good price? Is that good enough? Is that better for the teams future? Should they stall another few years and bring Strome or Copp back?  Or is Copp an upgrade on Strome? Is Panarin going to get pissed? Do we care?

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Excellent point. What do we want to do if Strome decides he wants to stay at all costs and takes a team friendly deal?  He's not making a strong case for a raise or a long commitment with his output in the playoffs.

He seems like a staple in the locker room. They continually march him out for post game media. He's a mouthpiece when questions are asked. 

Do we as fans want him back if he only costs 4.5- 5 at whatever term? Are the Rangers wasting time with him? 

Going off the playoffs alone, I think I'm fine with letting him walk and moving Panarin to the Zibanejad line with Kreider on the RW. 

BUT, I roll with the kid line as the 2nd line. Build a new 3rd line with all the saved money and keeping cap options open to resign the kids. 

10- 93-20

13- 72- 24

21- FA/trade- 91/64

Not 29- Not 29- Not 29.

There aren't many options that work cap wise or through free agency. Can you upgrade on Stromes regular season at a good price? Is that good enough? Is that better for the teams future? Should they stall another few years and bring Strome or Copp back?  Or is Copp an upgrade on Strome? Is Panarin going to get pissed? Do we care?

I dunno man. Putting that much stock in the kid line, which still hasn’t produced dick, is probably a ticket for missing the playoffs.

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

15 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I dunno man. Putting that much stock in the kid line, which still hasn’t produced dick, is probably a ticket for missing the playoffs.

People should be prepared to miss the playoffs next year regardless of anything, the cap is going to kill them. 

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

The guy I'd bet dollars to donuts they go after is Scheifele. 6.5 x 2 years left, I believe. Perfect stop gap.

Not with Kakko. I'm not trading a 22 year old for 2 seasons of Schiefele. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

PLD is a common name to read.

Not too many RFA guys who would be available unless it comes out of nowhere. Guys like Roope Hintz, Elias Pettersson, Josh Norris, Cirelli…if any of these guys are moved it’s a shock.

The same would be said about Kakko tho.

Kakko, Lundkvist, 1st could get a nice return. Even a cost controlled #2C.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

People should be prepared to miss the playoffs next year regardless of anything, the cap is going to kill them. 

Why? We made the playoffs easy, even without the deadline acquisitions.

Was one of the youngest teams in the league aswell, do you think taking Strome out of that team changes the outcome that much?

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Nah. We had a playoff spot locked up even with Hunt in our top 6. Re-sign Strome and you basically have the same team pre-deadline. Inject Kravtsov. Re-inject Blais. Maybe make a trade or two for the bottom 6.

It might not be as deep as it is currently with Vatrano and Copp, even with missing Goodrow, but it’s still a playoff team. And a team that can be bolstered at the deadline in similar fashion. Deadline trades would just cost a bit of retention tax.

• Believe 1

25 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Why? We made the playoffs easy, even without the deadline acquisitions.

Was one of the youngest teams in the league aswell, do you think taking Strome out of that team changes the outcome that much?

I don't think you're getting 50 goals from Kreider and historic goaltending from Igor. I don't think people realize how good a season Igor had, or how bad this team would have been if they got average goaltending.

And yes when you remove Strome from the mix and start expecting more from... Chytil... It's not going to be pretty. 

• Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Nah. We had a playoff spot locked up even with Hunt in our top 6. Re-sign Strome and you basically have the same team pre-deadline. Inject Kravtsov. Re-inject Blais. Maybe make a trade or two for the bottom 6.

It might not be as deep as it is currently with Vatrano and Copp, even with missing Goodrow, but it’s still a playoff team. And a team that can be bolstered at the deadline in similar fashion. Deadline trades would just cost a bit of retention tax.

See above, and VK is not coming back here. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think you're getting 50 goals from Kreider and historic goaltending from Igor. I don't think people realize how good a season Igor had, or how bad this team would have been if they got average goaltending.

And yes when you remove Strome from the mix and start expecting more from... Chytil... It's not going to be pretty. 

And Zib had his worst goalscoring season the last 4 years, Panarin had his worst season in a Rangers uniform. Fox was better last season. Miller and Laf look to have taken huge steps this post-season. These things equal out. Igor is elite, probably wont have as good a season as this, but he will still be really good.

Man your love for Strome is too much... We'll be fine without him, even manage to make the playoffs without the Great Stromer! Believe!