• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Doubtful' Strome Returns to Rangers

Phil

"I think it's doubtful that Strome comes back at this point. I can't imagine the Rangers raising their offer over the one he apparently rejected. And where Copp goes, I think it depends on the numbers. Simply because/if Copp is asking for less than Strome doesn't automatically mean that the number works."

— Brooks, on Up in the Blueseats

For awhile I thought it was a no brainer that they would reach a deal, but the longer the season goes on the less and less I feel like Strome will be back.

Wonder if Drury is going to make a big move for another center in the offseason and re-sign Copp for 3rd line center.

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

For awhile I thought it was a no brainer that they would reach a deal, but the longer the season goes on the less and less I feel like Strome will be back.

Wonder if Drury is going to make a big move for another center in the offseason and re-sign Copp for 3rd line center.

If that's the move, then whoever they're looking at at 2C is on an ELC or second contract not worth very much.

I think it's far more likely they walk away from both of them based on price, shop for a 2C, and run back the kid line as the third line for a full season. Let them really continue to develop together all year long.

Just now, Phil said:

If that's the move, then whoever they're looking at at 2C is on an ELC or second contract not worth very much.

I think it's far more likely they walk away from both of them based on price, shop for a 2C, and run back the kid line as the third line for a full season. Let them really continue to develop together all year long.

Not a bad way to go at this point.  Don’t ask me who fills that 2C spot though. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

Not a bad way to go at this point.  Don’t ask me who fills that 2C spot though. 

No idea. They'll have irons in a lot of fires. Scheifele, Dubois, etc.

3 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

PLD and Panarin were pretty damn good together iirc?

They were, and there are a ton of questions about his future (again), but I don't think there's much incentive at all for the Jets to trade him this summer. That's a next summer issue, if they can't agree to a long-term deal. He's in a really similar position to the one Trouba was in, so they'll run out the runway before they make the hard call.

Scheifele, though, feels destined to go.

• Phil changed the title to 'Doubtful' Strome Returns to Rangers

I mean, we have pieces for a top-9 and holes to fill. 

Kreider - Zibanejad - X

Panarin - X - X

Lafreniere - Chytil - Kakko

You have to imagine that Laf gets another shot at the RW with Z and Kreider. I don't think Chytil works for the 2C, but I don't think he's trade fodder as much as he was after this playoff showing. Kakko has a chance to be a 2RW or 3RW. We also have Goodrow still who I think can get another shot on Panarin's wing. Blais as well has potential there.

The main and biggest issue is that 2C. There aren't a lot of FAs out there (no Bergeron or Malkin). Trade is probably the best avenue. We still have plenty of prospects in the cupboard both up front and on D that are in play for an acquisition. PLD in an arbitration eligible RFA so I think he'll price himself out. Scheifele is tough financially but that's what a top-6 C costs. Do we kick the tires on Gourde again for Keith's sake?

Or, do we go all in on Kane and Toews and run a legacy Blackhawks line with Panarin and shoot our shot for a cup?

42 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Strome has 6 points in 8 playoff games. That’s a 61 point pace. What exactly were people expecting from him? He hasn’t elevated his game in the playoffs, but he hasn’t been worse either. He’s been Ryan Strome.

I no think more than anything it’s lack of physicality, defensive responsibility, and lack of acumen in the face off circle that really is what’s showing up as deficient right now. Particularly in big minutes vs other top-6 guys, in the biggest games of the year.

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I no think more than anything it’s lack of physicality, defensive responsibility, and lack of acumen in the face off circle that really is what’s showing up as deficient right now. Particularly in big minutes vs other top-6 guys, in the biggest games of the year.

I keep hearing the same shpeil that's either (A) unquantifiable "defensive responsibility" says who? or (2) something that's plagues the entire team in faceoffs.

Folks just have axes to grind.

10 hours ago, josh said:

I think we’re seeing the second line emerge in these playoffs. 

panarin - Zibanejad - Kreider

Kid line

Hurt Locker

RRR

I love the kid line, but I'm not sure I'm ready to lose that depth. Granted, we kinda screwed ourselves cap-wise and need the kids to put up in the regular season. 

3 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I love the kid line, but I'm not sure I'm ready to lose that depth. Granted, we kinda screwed ourselves cap-wise and need the kids to put up in the regular season. 

Re-signing Strome and/or Copp will be much more damaging to your depth. 

i signed Motte, still have Nemeth on the roster, and 2.5m in cap. That cap flexibility for the next 2 seasons is huge. And they can’t overpay either Strome nor Copp to long term deals (and we can’t deny that that’s what it would take to keep either) 

9 minutes ago, josh said:

Re-signing Strome and/or Copp will be much more damaging to your depth. 

i signed Motte, still have Nemeth on the roster, and 2.5m in cap. That cap flexibility for the next 2 seasons is huge. And they can’t overpay either Strome nor Copp to long term deals (and we can’t deny that that’s what it would take to keep either) 

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I don't want Strome back and am 50/50 on Copp.

Who's on the Hurt Locker and RRR?

Goodrow - ? - Blais

Reaves - Rooney - ?

I think if the kids go cold or the top line disappears, you have a big problem scoring. 

47 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I don't want Strome back and am 50/50 on Copp.

Who's on the Hurt Locker and RRR?

Goodrow - ? - Blais

Reaves - Rooney - ?

I think if the kids go cold or the top line disappears, you have a big problem scoring. 

Motte Goodrow Blais

reaves Rooney and the Russian

• TroCheckmark 1

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

A little light on offense, but I love the grindiness once the playoffs come around. 

“Offense” isn’t an issue. Secondary scoring, timely goals and consistency have been the issue. My suggested lineup isn’t worse in any of those aspects.

removing Panarin - Strome - whomever and having the third and 4th lines i mention, immediately makes them harder to play against 

the kids line has to improve. If we don’t think they can, then move on from them.  But you still don’t have enough to sign Strome/Copp and not fuck up your future cap 

Put it this way, I removed Copp, Strome and Vatrano. Think about how you felt about those guys prior to the acquisitions. 

prior to coming to NY that’s a semi-shitty 3rd line.