• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

But Really, How Good Is Bread?

Valriera

1 hour ago, Pete said:

And he centered a 50 goal scorer. 

Can't believe that anyone would complain about our top 6. It's silly at this point. 

Our top six can go against anybody in the NHL. 

Yes it can.

And can actually do so in a two-way incarnation.

And they have options and flexibility if they need to form a shutdown line that can play 16-18 minutes a night 

One thing I’d like to see over the last few games is the viability of a line of:

Copp-Goodrow-Kakko

Just in spots as a line that can be deployed late in games that can neutralize an offensive push. 

41 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Zibanejad is great...bonafide #1...but i think he earned his contract in large part by piling up goals the previous two seasons, and given his more modest production this year, im worried hell be on the decline. Hes got 8 seasons to go...

In what world is 30 goals and 80 points "modest production"?

And he signed for $8.5m aav.  That's a great deal for the team.  It's $2.5m less than Tavares signed for.  It's cheaper than Benn and Seguin who are both sitting at under 50 points.  Zib could have gone out and got over $10m easy. 

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

And he signed for $8.5m aav.  That's a great deal for the team.  It's $2.5m less than Tavares signed for.  It's cheaper than Benn and Seguin who are both sitting at under 50 points.  Zib could have gone out and got over $10m easy. 

And that’s only on point production, he does so much more.  Ragging on Zib is almost as bad as ragging on Panarin…shit, wait

• LMFAO 1

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Zib definitely took a little less than he could have. It’s a beautiful thing. And Kreiders deal is a steal now too although no one thought he would do this.

17 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Zib definitely took a little less than he could have. It’s a beautiful thing. And Kreiders deal is a steal now too although no one thought he would do this.

And it's a very good thing that Kreider wasn't previously producing like many people on the board were ragging on him about because otherwise he would've been a $10M+ player and unaffordable for us lol So it's a good thing he had all those inconsistent seasons because he's getting paid now purely based on that rather than the potential he's actually (finally) displayed this season. 

1 hour ago, Jdog99 said:

Zibanejad is great...bonafide #1...but i think he earned his contract in large part by piling up goals the previous two seasons, and given his more modest production this year, im worried hell be on the decline. Hes got 8 seasons to go...

More modest? This has been his most productive season not counting the season that ended because of Covid. He’s been a pretty consistent 30 goal and near P/GP player for the last few years without any sign of decline aside from his struggles after dealing with Covid. That 40 goal season was probably an anomaly given his 19.7% shooting percentage versus a 13.1% career average. Also took 208 shots in 19-20 versus 210 this season in 21 fewer games. He hasn’t maintained that insane level of production but has been otherwise consistent.

• Like 1

Ill take this level of production for at least 6 seasons for sure. I just dont think were seeing the same firepower we saw in that 40+ goal shortened season and that hot goal streak last season. Maybe the difference is losing buch though.

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

I never understand the point of responses like this. So are we not supposed to discuss anything?  I don’t think anyone believes players read what any of us write so Im not posting my opinion for him to read. I’m posting my opinion because that’s the point of message boards in the first place. 

It's the context. Yea, some players we can say we'd like to see them do X, Y, Z....Like Miller using his size more. 

But when a guy throws up 100 point season and is one of the most successful free agent signings in New York sports recent history already....I just kinda think he should shoot when he feels like shooting. But that's just me.

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's the context. Yea, some players we can say we'd like to see them do X, Y, Z....Like Miller using his size more. 

But when a guy throws up 100 point season and is one of the most successful free agent signings in New York sports recent history already....I just kinda think he should shoot when he feels like shooting. But that's just me.

And you’re entitled to that opinion. It’s not even about him being successful here or not. No one would say he isn’t a great signing. He’s an elite player. Doesn’t mean no one is allowed to voice an opinion or small criticism though here and there. It’s a message board. I highly doubt he’s going down the wing thinking of you or I regardless. 

41 minutes ago, Keirik said:

And you’re entitled to that opinion. It’s not even about him being successful here or not. No one would say he isn’t a great signing. He’s an elite player. Doesn’t mean no one is allowed to voice an opinion or small criticism though here and there. It’s a message board. I highly doubt he’s going down the wing thinking of you or I regardless. 

I didn't say you're not allowed to say anything. I'm disagreeing that he needs to change anything about his game. 

You tell Panarin to shoot more and he starts listenining to feedback like that too much, he might start shooting when he should pass. Might throw off his game to be honest. I agree with the sentiment where you just let him play his game. Overpassing sometimes, but it’s the best part of his game. He kinda knows what he’s doing out there lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I didn't say you're not allowed to say anything. I'm disagreeing that he needs to change anything about his game. 

I just personally think his first year here was more dominant than he is this year. Doesn’t mean this isn’t a fantastic year, but his first year here was a bit more dominant on a lesser team. I’m sure playoff time he’s going to shoot a bit more when everything is amped up and space is squeezed. 

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Obviously a great player and point producer.  Does that production and impact on the game still apply come playoff time.  That will determine to me the answer to the question to "seriously how good is he?"  Regular season he is elite.  Postseason let's see.

They really need to see if they can pair him with an elite center. Mika is on par, but they're games dont seem to fully complement each other at 5x5. They need to find a better version of Strome. Copp could develop into that guy, or Chytil, imo, has the potential. But otherwise, need to be on the lookout for a true 1b that highly complements him.

7 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

They really need to see if they can pair him with an elite center. Mika is on par, but they're games dont seem to fully complement each other at 5x5. They need to find a better version of Strome. Copp could develop into that guy, or Chytil, imo, has the potential. But otherwise, need to be on the lookout for a true 1b that highly complements him.

And how would they fit such a player under the cap?

Thats why i'm suggesting copp or chytil *could develop into that role. Understood - they cant get someone already recognized as elite, already on or pending a top tier contract, but they need to be on the lookout for someone who projects a higher ceiling than strome has already solidified 

Edited by Jdog99

20 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Thats why i'm suggesting copp or chytil *could develop into that role. Understood - they cant get someone already recognized as elite, already on or pending a top tier contract, but they need to be on the lookout for someone who projects a higher ceiling than strome has already solidified 

I’d say he’s doing pretty well with Strome and they compliment each other pretty well.

But maybe I’m pulling that out of thin air

• Like 1

That's him.

Like most I've been pretty consistent that I don't think Chytil is the answer to any serious question when it comes to being a part of this team going forward.  The fact he's made of tissue paper being one of the main reasons along with never having shown any kind of consistent production.  I think the jury is still out as to whether or not he's even a center after all this time.

Edited by jsrangers

43 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

If Chytil is soft, I don't even know what word to use for Kakko. I like both enough, but I really don't see why it's such a hard call to move them out in order to retain Strome and Copp. Then we don't even have to talk about which of Strome and Copp to keep. Keep both.

Practically, I agree. I just don't see how they move on so early from Kakko. At this point I'd give him 1.8 and plop him on the fourth line for a couple of seasons to see if he can be of any use at all.