• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

But Really, How Good Is Bread?

Valriera

26 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Sure he does, as you could flip Nemeth with him and really clear some space.

Kakko is approaching "fresh start" territory.

Copp is going to be pushing $5m per year.  You could resign Kakko, Motte, and Rooney for the same price.  You resign Copp and you're gonna have a 4th line of McKegg's and DiGiuseppe's again.

As far as the Strome debate.  We really need to wait for the playoffs to determine if he's a must to keep.  He and Panarin have been a great fit and they have produced plenty.  Yet in past years and until the last game against the Islanders they have been pretty invisible against heavy teams that play "playoff" style hockey.  So the only question to me is will they perform in the playoffs when checking is tighter and details are magnified.  Can't really find a complaint with their regular season play and to honest I have always been on the Strome isn't the two way center needed to win in a top 6 role but he has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.  He has produced on a team with a ridiculous record.  So let's see what happens.  Maybe nothing happens off any significance in the playoffs regarding his play.  In that case I think they need to try and keep him.  Only a complete no show would change that thought but I do think it's possible especially if they get a Carolina matchup in round 2 if they are lucky enough to get there.  In the end you need to win 4 rounds to get where we want to go, not win a round.

• JIMMY! 1

Don't have any issue with anyone evaluating Chytil as not having what it takes, but the bottom line is if u want to get high end talent at a bargain price, it has to be via taking a gamble on someone whose hasnt yet proven themselves.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Copp is going to be pushing $5m per year.  You could resign Kakko, Motte, and Rooney for the same price.  You resign Copp and you're gonna have a 4th line of McKegg's and DiGiuseppe's again.

And Kakko is the only one of that three that really matters. Motte is a nice player but not a necessity and redundant on this roster. Rooney won’t command much and if another team wants to swoop him away for more than 1m then so be it. Kakko has been a non factor all year but we want to retain him solely based on draft position and “potential.” I don’t want to lose Kakko but of that three, he’s the only one that holds a potential to care about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Practically, I agree. I just don't see how they move on so early from Kakko. At this point I'd give him 1.8 and plop him on the fourth line for a couple of seasons to see if he can be of any use at all. 

They can make it work with Kakko at 1.8 and Nemeth/Chytil out. Just don’t think he comes in that low. He’ll sign an offer sheet if that’s what we are offering

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

They can make it work with Kakko at 1.8 and Nemeth/Chytil out. Just don’t think he comes in that low. He’ll sign an offer sheet if that’s what we are offering

I think you’re overestimating this offer sheet idea. There’s a chance but he has 17 points last year and 16 points this year.  Unless he does some wild shit this playoff year, I’m not so sure many teams are lining up to scoop him away.

Realistically, the team I could see doing it would be Carolina since they have that trolling mentality a bit and we did benefit from the Fox situation so there’s a small gripe. I believe they could not offer more than the 4m or so threshold because if they offer more, they don’t have their own 1st round pick for 22 as compensation which they must have. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I think you’re overestimating this offer sheet idea. There’s a chance but he has 17 points last year and 16 points this year.  Unless he does some wild shit this playoff year, I’m not so sure many teams are lining up to scoop him away.

Realistically, the team I could see doing it would be Carolina since they have that trolling mentality a bit and we did benefit from the Fox situation so there’s a small gripe. I believe they could not offer more than the 4m or so threshold because if they offer more, they don’t have their own 1st round pick for 22 as compensation which they must have. 

by wild shit in the playoffs you thinking catching absolute fire with 3-4 points?

• Bullseye 1

12 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

If were not willing to take a moderate gamble on Kakko, whose skill, size and work ethic are perfectly apparent dispite not putting it all together yet...then what kind of players do u take a gamble on?

It's not a gamble on Kakko at this point, since we've seen three seasons of nothing but below average everything. It's wishful thinking. 

16 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Kakko has nothing to do with keeping Copp and Strome.

Disagree. He could actually be a fairly critical piece to move out if they were serious about keeping Copp, and likely would need to be purely from a positional perspective. They're not likely to carry Kakko as their 3RW (or worse) for very long.

15 hours ago, Dunny said:

Sure he does, as you could flip Nemeth with him and really clear some space.

Kakko is approaching "fresh start" territory.

Agreed. Kakko is a $2 million minimum player next season. Most fan projections on a short-term two- to three-year bridge are between $2 million (but usually starting at Chytil's $2.3 million) and $3.5 million per.

Call it $2.5 million to be safe, then add that to Nemeth's $2.5 million and that's $5 million. Assuming a minimum salary of around $775,000 next season, replace both with ELCs or ELC equivalents and you're looking at a net gain of around $3.5 million by dumping them both for futures.

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Practically, I agree. I just don't see how they move on so early from Kakko. At this point I'd give him 1.8 and plop him on the fourth line for a couple of seasons to see if he can be of any use at all. 

It depends entirely on if his camp is actually willing to accept something that low. I'm not sure they would. Certainly not for multiple years.

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

It depends entirely on if his camp is actually willing to accept something that low. I'm not sure they would. Certainly not for multiple years.

He doesn't have a leg to stand on, literally, to try and negotiate more.

• LMFAO 1

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

I don't think I am. I know how rare it's been, but I think the situation is prime for it. RFAs of a draft position this high aren't usually RFAs on a cap strapped team. I think it's a lot more likely to happen than him signing a $1.5-2M low ball bridge.

If the Rangers are coming in around 2 and another team comes in at 4 (with only a 2nd round pick compensation), I think the Rangers paint themselves into a corner and have no choice but to match. It will seriously hurt their current window. I'm not sure why a team like the Devils, for example, wouldn't come in and do exactly that. Plenty of cap space.

• Like 1

The offer sheet threat was almost never a threat. I was banging that drum, arguably, louder than anyone for years. The one-year poison pill that Carolina concocted, I think, has revitalized it as a legitimate threat again.

46 minutes ago, Phil said:

Disagree. He could actually be a fairly critical piece to move out if they were serious about keeping Copp, and likely would need to be purely from a positional perspective. They're not likely to carry Kakko as their 3RW (or worse) for very long.

Agreed. Kakko is a $2 million minimum player next season. Most fan projections on a short-term two- to three-year bridge are between $2 million (but usually starting at Chytil's $2.3 million) and $3.5 million per.

Call it $2.5 million to be safe, then add that to Nemeth's $2.5 million and that's $5 million. Assuming a minimum salary of around $775,000 next season, replace both with ELCs or ELC equivalents and you're looking at a net gain of around $3.5 million by dumping them both for futures.

I disagree.  I think the Kakko hate is overblown.  Why are they not likely to carry him on the 3rd line?  They started using him on the pk, he's fine defensively.  

Copp has been great.  I think the money is better spent over multiple players. 

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

I disagree.  I think the Kakko hate is overblown.  Why are they not likely to carry him on the 3rd line?  They started using him on the pk, he's fine defensively.  

Copp has been great.  I think the money is better spent over multiple players. 

Who can't stay healthy and are less productive by orders of magnitude? I don't.

34 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He's 21 years old.  His production is fine for a 3rd line spot while you see if he develops.  15 goals and 30 points if there's no improvement.  People used to be worried about Zib being injury prone too.  I have no issue giving Kakko $2.5m x 2.

If that’s where Kakko comes in, and I think that’s pretty close, that effectively puts you out of the “keep both Strome and Copp” running.

38 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He's 21 years old.  His production is fine for a 3rd line spot while you see if he develops.  15 goals and 30 points if there's no improvement.  People used to be worried about Zib being injury prone too.  I have no issue giving Kakko $2.5m x 2.

That's fine. I am, too, but you can forget about keeping more than one of Strome/Copp/Vatrano the moment you do.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Sure does. Offer sheet.

No one is offer-sheeting him for the same reason we're having this discussion now.

KK got sheeted after a very solid run to the Finals. If Kakko has a solid run, this whole convo changes.