• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

But Really, How Good Is Bread?

Valriera

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

Valriera was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

This guy does nothing except put up 90+ seasons everywhere he goes, with everyone he plays with. I look at the league leaders in stats last few years and you think about the tandems that these guys have to work with. McDavid  + Draisaitl. This year the entire panthers team is nuts. Matthews and Marner. Typically these guys at the top of the scoring list have a player or line that form a formidable crew. The biggest exception to me is Ovi, who is inarguably one of the very best players to ever play. 

But where does Bread fall? He has been right up there with the top 10 scorers in the league playing with Strome on the Rangers and basically nobody on CBJ. You watch games when he's in form, which is more often than not, and he makes everyone so much better, unlike McDavid who is more of an attention hog and one man machine than anything else. Andrew Copp is scoring at a 46g pace over a season on his wing. It's not a coincidence. 

Placing him is hard though. He doesn't have the game breaking talent that a lot of his peers in that group do, but he makes plays that nobody else can make seem easy on a routine basis, and he makes his whole line so much better just by playing. Can he skate through an entire defense like McD? No. Does he have the shot that ovi or matthews has? No. Is he just actually that great at passing the puck?

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 3

Panarin's greatest asset is that he's elusive. That' combined with elite vision and passing ability, is why he's just set the record for assists by a Rangers' forward and why he's challenging Leetch for the all-time assists record by a Ranger.

MSG did a great job, I thought, in the Isles-Rangers pre-game breaking down one of his shifts where they tracked him on the ice for like a solid two minutes, ending in a Fox or Kreider goal (can't remember). The goal itself wasn't even the most impressive thing that happened — it was the resulting, giant, snaking map left by Panarin, who by that point had literally traversed the entire OZ, touching/carrying the puck at multiple points throughout the shift.

When it's all said and done, he'll go down as arguably the greatest free agent signing in New York Rangers history and likely a top-ten all-time undrafted NHL player along with Oates, Ciccerelli, St. Louis, Stastny, and others.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2

This is going to sound stupid but he reminds me so much of Zuccarello but... better. Like way better. Some of the passes he makes blow my mind. He truly sees the game differently and he's just all over the ice, it's impossible to track him as a defender. The great players in this game really use the entirety of the ice in the offensive zone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morphinity said:

This is going to sound stupid but he reminds me so much of Zuccarello but... better. Like way better. Some of the passes he makes blow my mind. He truly sees the game differently and he's just all over the ice, it's impossible to track him as a defender. The great players in this game really use the entirety of the ice in the offensive zone.

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

• LOL 1

Almost "Gretsky-like"....Almost!!  But it reminds me of those mid 80's Gretzky passes....and elusiveness.

It's not stupid. They're similar. Panarin is just on another level, and Zucc is feistier (🦡).

Hes a special player, no doubt. Probably going to earn every cent of his monster contract. Zibanejad i worry about though. Great season, but never fully exploded like he has for parts of the last two seasons, and we haven't even gotten to year 1 of 8 yet.

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's not stupid. They're similar. Panarin is just on another level, and Zucc is feistier (🦡).

If Panarin had Zucc’s feistiness he’d be on another level. Tom Wilson would have gotten fugged up last year instead of the piggy back move…and resulting near death almost head slam into the ice

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Still going to need to shoot more come playoff time.  Different game. I’m confident he will though. He is an incredibly intelligent hockey player. 

He can do whatever he wants. No one should tell him how to play. 

Someone needs to call the line changes, right?

He starting playing better when he ignored the coach, according to the coach. 

And...he doesn't need to take advice from internet forums. He makes $11M a year to do it his way. He's better at his job than any of us are at ours. 

Just a little perspective. 

Edited by Pete

14 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

Hes a special player, no doubt. Probably going to earn every cent of his monster contract. Zibanejad i worry about though. Great season, but never fully exploded like he has for parts of the last two seasons, and we haven't even gotten to year 1 of 8 yet.

Zib is a point per game player that literally does everything from EV to PP to PK

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Zib is a point per game player that literally does everything from EV to PP to PK

2 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I thought Zib had a great season 

he did it all

2 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

And he centered a 50 goal scorer. 

Can't believe that anyone would complain about our top 6. It's silly at this point. 

Our top six can go against anybody in the NHL. 

Zibanejad is great...bonafide #1...but i think he earned his contract in large part by piling up goals the previous two seasons, and given his more modest production this year, im worried hell be on the decline. Hes got 8 seasons to go...

Edited by Jdog99

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Someone needs to call the line changes, right?

He starting playing better when he ignored the coach, according to the coach. 

And...he doesn't need to take advice from internet forums. He makes $11M a year to do it his way. He's better at his job than any of us are at ours. 

Just a little perspective. 

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

I never understand the point of responses like this. So are we not supposed to discuss anything?  I don’t think anyone believes players read what any of us write so Im not posting my opinion for him to read. I’m posting my opinion because that’s the point of message boards in the first place. 

Edited by Keirik