• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#51) Rangers vs Washington Capitals — Red Bread Redemption

Drew a Penalty

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You know more than I. I think we can expect any prominent Russian athlete to have their social media accounts scraped for anything related to Putin.

Put the shovels away because you could "scrape" his profile with a finger nail. His profile photo on IG is him with Putin. In 2017, he lead a social campaign called PutinTeam — something he said was his idea, but had the fingerprints of a Krelmin-backed PR firm.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Put the shovels away because you could "scrape" his profile with a finger nail. His profile photo on IG is him with Putin. In 2017, he lead a social campaign called PutinTeam — something he said was his idea, but had the fingerprints of a Krelmin-backed PR firm.

I didn’t mean Ovechkin. I assume nobody knows anything about Igor…yet. Or Georgiev.

Well, shit, wasn’t even thinking about Kravtsov. Not in terms of digging through his social media, but I imagine he’s stuck over there for the time being even if he wanted to come back.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I didn’t mean Ovechkin. I assume nobody knows anything about Igor…yet. Or Georgiev.

Well, shit, wasn’t even thinking about Kravtsov. Not in terms of digging through his social media, but I imagine he’s stuck over there for the time being even if he wanted to come back.

Oh, right. I mean, if I ran any team, I'd pull all these players from media avails for theirs and their families' safety. The last thing we need here is someone criticizing Putin and then having their family targeted for it as a result.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh, right. I mean, if I ran any team, I'd pull all these players from media avails for theirs and their families' safety. The last thing we need here is someone criticizing Putin and then having their family targeted for it as a result.

Or not criticizing Putin and still having their families targeted here by Americans. It’s a no-win situation. It’d be nice if the media just focused on hockey related questions, but you know there’s going to be some assholes who want to stir the pot to sell clicks.

10 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Or not criticizing Putin and still having their families targeted here by Americans. It’s a no-win situation. It’d be nice if the media just focused on hockey related questions, but you know there’s going to be some assholes who want to stir the pot to sell clicks.

Sports are a cultural export invariably tied to politics at some point or another. They don't need to force it, but voices like Ovechkin and Panarin who - for lack of a better way of saying it - partake in conversation like this rather frequently, it's at least relevant to want to ask.

15 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I'm with you on the concerns for targeting and I'd agree it's mostly a no-win situation, but I don't share the same cynicism for "the media" you do. I don't believe for a second that every journalist, or even most, are asking these questions to sell clicks for exactly the reasons @G1000 just noted.

The reason I'd pull Russian players from media avail isn't to avoid the topic, but to safeguard theirs and their families lives while this war/conflict is just beginning. Once there were assurances in place that there is no threat to their families, the "stick to sports" argument goes up in smoke. Ovechkin, as the prime example, used his sports profile to campaign for Putin in 2017. Why was it was OK to intermix the two then, but not now? "Do you still support Vladimir Putin?" is a very important question that needs an answer eventually.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Gonna take a guess that the Bulgarian-born, Finnish-trained, and liberal-leaning Georgiev is not a Putin supporter. Just a guess. 

• Like 2
  • The Chyt! 2

Also on another note, and sticking to the caps … I never realized the caps traded Varlamov to the Avs for the rights to draft Filip Forsberg AND also got a 2nd round pick. That in and of itself is an amazing trade for Washington. But then 2 years later they dealt Forsberg to Nashville for Martin Erat and Michael Latta… both of whom did absolutely nothing for them. Ouch

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

Ovechkin's been removed from the Caps media availability today. That's probably for the better.

No kidding, hopefully, he won't be available in the after the game presser either.

It'll interesting to see how the fans will react at the MSG... Someone may just yank on their chains, I hope not, let them play without disruptions...