• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

13 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'll take Rakell and Lehkonen. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Kreider - Zib - Laf

Panarin-Strome-Rakell

Lehkonen - Goodrow - Kakko

Reaves - Rooney - Hunt

Not sure if it's a cup winning team, but it's a lot better than what we've iced the last few weeks.

That's probably our 1st, one of the 2nds, and Matthew Robertson all in. Should be doable.

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I wonder how much of this trade market is slowed down while waiting for the Giroux chips to drop, which won't drop until they let him play game number 1000 on thursday

Ok, now it makes sense...I'm wondering what the hell they're waiting for to pull the trigger.  Thanks BBB!

Drury is either gonna work some crazy magic and have us end up with Kane

or it's gonna be just some good depth trades, and nobody that's considered the top guys on the market (so no Hertl, no Giroux, neither guy from Montreal or even the big guys in Winnipeg). My latest take is Cogliano for a mid round pick, based on absolutely nothing. Cogliano, or maybe a Zach Sanford.

35 minutes ago, G1000 said:

That's probably our 1st, one of the 2nds, and Matthew Robertson all in. Should be doable.

I wouldn’t deal a 1st for either of those guys. That’s yucky. I would deal a 1st for a Rakell/Lindholm package, though.

The problem I have with Lehkonen is the Rangers really can’t afford his impending pay bump. He will probably get close to $3M.

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I wouldn’t deal a 1st for either of those guys. That’s yucky. I would deal a 1st for a Rakell/Lindholm package, though.

The problem I have with Lehkonen is the Rangers really can’t afford his impending pay bump. He will probably get close to $3M.

Our 1st won't be earlier than 21 or so - its value is more psychological as a 1st since the odds of a hit at 21 aren't meaningfully different than a hit at 40.

More to the point - someone is giving a 1st for Rakell. He's probably the best top 6 wing we can confidently say is on the market.

I'm also throwing this out there - there is almost no mathematical way the Rangers can use all their cap space at the deadline. They can take on $32m in space, and even in an extreme scenario where they make a ton of trades, they can "add" about 16m total.

Wondering if Drury can weaponize that extra $16m to facilitate trades of high end rentals out west. Or, basically, do everything possible to cockblock the Penguins.

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Our 1st won't be earlier than 21 or so - its value is more psychological as a 1st since the odds of a hit at 21 aren't meaningfully different than a hit at 40.

More to the point - someone is giving a 1st for Rakell. He's probably the best top 6 wing we can confidently say is on the market.

I don’t know about that. Rakell costing a 1st as a rental is driven more by a couple of seasons he had 5 years ago rather than what he is worth today. It’s paying for the name. If you are correct, I would pass. If I’m correct and Rakell/Lindholm could be had together around a 1st/Robertson/another prospect or pick, I would do it.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I don’t know about that. Rakell costing a 1st as a rental is driven more by a couple of seasons he had 5 years ago rather than what he is worth today. It’s paying for the name. If you are correct, I would pass. If I’m correct and Rakell/Lindholm could be had together around a 1st/Robertson/another prospect or pick, I would do it.

Eh. Rakell's been a perfectly okay 2nd line wing this year - 50-ish point pace. That's a 1st at the deadline barring the movement of a decent prospect alongside a 2nd. 

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell those two get packaged; Lindholm would instantly be the best defender on the market if he does in fact hit. 

Don’t know if this has been said already, but something to keep in mind for targets that are signed beyond this season is that the Rangers have approximately $10.5M in cap space for next year, and that already includes the $1M cap increase.

Things are super tight because they need to re-sign OR replace Ryan Strome (~5.5M on a team friendly deal), Kaapo Kakko (~2.5M on a bridge deal), Sammy Blais (~1.5M qualifying offer). If those approximations are correct, they have 1M left to sign 1 more forward (i.e, Rooney re-signed), a backup goalie, and a 7D (Hajek or replacement). Even league min options puts them over. This is without acquiring any new money headed into next year.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Don’t know if this has been said already, but something to keep in mind for targets that are signed beyond this season is that the Rangers have approximately $10.5M in cap space for next year, and that already includes the $1M cap increase.

Things are super tight because they need to re-sign OR replace Ryan Strome (~5.5M on a team friendly deal), Kaapo Kakko (~2.5M on a bridge deal), Sammy Blais (~1.5M qualifying offer). If those approximations are correct, they have 1M left to sign 1 more forward (i.e, Rooney re-signed), a backup goalie, and a 7D (Hajek or replacement). Even league min options puts them over. This is without acquiring any new money headed into next year.

At this point, I'm just resigned to the fact that they won't keep Strome. The 2C for next season is almost assuredly not on our roster. 

11 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Eh. Rakell's been a perfectly okay 2nd line wing this year - 50-ish point pace. That's a 1st at the deadline barring the movement of a decent prospect alongside a 2nd. 

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell those two get packaged; Lindholm would instantly be the best defender on the market if he does in fact hit. 

Fair enough. That’s a Josh Manson return, which is ok for Rakell. The Rangers have been excellent drafting in the 1st round in the 20s. I would assume keep that and use the other ammo, like decent prospects who won’t sniff our lineup regularly and ultimately need to be moved or their value starts to deteriorate (think guys like Zac Jones).

The Rangers could significantly up their offer for a Rakell/Lindholm package. I think the Ducks would be forced to consider 1st/Robertson/Kravtsov. Something in that range.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Fair enough. That’s a Josh Manson return, which is ok for Rakell. The Rangers have been excellent drafting in the 1st round in the 20s. I would assume keep that and use the other ammo, like decent prospects who won’t sniff our lineup regularly and ultimately need to be moved or their value starts to deteriorate (think guys like Zac Jones).

The Rangers could significantly up their offer for a Rakell/Lindholm package. I think the Ducks would be forced to consider 1st/Robertson/Kravtsov. Something in that range.

I'll turn this one on its head since Arthur Staple ran an article today where he got a few executives together for trade proposals.

Kravtsov, Lundkvist, 2022 first and second to the Ducks for Rickard Rakell and Hampus Lindholm — Jack G.

Exec’s take: “Lindholm should be one of the top players on the market if they are going to move him. He’s big, he can skate, shutdown player and a minutes-eating defender. Rakell would be one of the top forwards on the market if he is available, so combining the two probably isn’t realistic. It wouldn’t be a terrible offer if Kravtsov and Lundkvist’s value were what they were last year. Kravtsov is a complete unknown at this point — is he even coming over at all? Lundkvist still has good upside even though he’s undersized. I’ll be surprised if (Ducks GM Pat) Verbeek doesn’t sign at least one — Lindholm more likely — but if he is in a situation where he’s moving both, he’s going to do better than this.”

One of the recurring tropes is that Kravtsov is no longer seen as a top prospect, but as a total wildcard. If the stars fully align with him, great, but both hockey-wise and geopolitically he's a colossal risk for any team.

• VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

At this point, I'm just resigned to the fact that they won't keep Strome. The 2C for next season is almost assuredly not on our roster. 

The ideal scenario fiscally is probably to get our next 2C with cap retained. I don’t want JT Miller, but for the sake of argument, if he came in at 50% (2.6M) then that gives the required flexibility to take care of the rest of the roster with a small buffer. Maybe then you could go get a guy like Lehkonen and afford to re-sign him.

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I'll turn this one on its head since Arthur Staple ran an article today where he got a few executives together for trade proposals.

One of the recurring tropes is that Kravtsov is no longer seen as a top prospect, but as a total wildcard. If the stars fully align with him, great, but both hockey-wise and geopolitically he's a colossal risk for any team.

The Rangers have plenty of other assets. Doesn’t have to be Kravtsov. If his value is truly that deteriorated, they should hold onto him for now and look for a Puljujarvi type reconciliation.

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The ideal scenario fiscally is probably to get our next 2C with cap retained. I don’t want JT Miller, but for the sake of argument, if he came in at 50% (2.6M) then that gives the required flexibility to take care of the rest of the roster with a small buffer. Maybe then you could go get a guy like Lehkonen and afford to re-sign him.

Probably, but I truly think our 2c next season is probably a struggling young-ish RFA - maybe on a capped-out or roster-blocked team that we've not really put thought into just yet. Jack Roslovic, Alex Turcotte, Barret Hayton, maybe Dylan Strome. I can see a deal with Calgary, but I'm not really sure you want any of their reasonably available centers without retention. 

Either that, or we're going to go after Vincent Trocheck in FA.

58 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Nothing to add here, just wanted to endorse the use of the word “yucky”