• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Effin' Trouba

Valriera

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed. Lindgren will win it, but Trouba or Rooney probably should.

Good call, Phil!!  Rooney has been very good for us this year.  He was good last year too!  I think he's the perfect 4th line center, and it probably makes sense to extend him a couple more years if we can get it done efficiently enough.

On the Trouba front though;  Yea, no complaints from me....and man, I hated that contract!  It's not looking so bad right now with his play and leadership on display!  Let's hope it keeps up!

Edited by Ozzy

Unpopular opinion but so far for me it’s Greg Mckegg, who has always been the first guy in off the taxi squad, has played significant games this season, always gives everything he has for a team that has him as a dispensable forward, and is ready to play every game he’s in. These taxi squad guys this year are important and he’s been just as important in that role as anyone in the league. 

36 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Unpopular opinion but so far for me it’s Greg Mckegg, who has always been the first guy in off the taxi squad, has played significant games this season, always gives everything he has for a team that has him as a dispensable forward, and is ready to play every game he’s in. These taxi squad guys this year are important and he’s been just as important in that role as anyone in the league. 

But he stinks.  

• LOL 2
  • LMFAO 3

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Tough call this year. Could say the same for Kreider ALL YEAR.

So shooting 6% above your career average gets you the award? Come on...

Just kidding hah! I'm loving Kreids' consistency this year and he's definitely in the discussion for the team MVP. But to me what Trouba's done this year to step up from previous seasons in terms of showing leadership on the ice, stepping up to fight for team mates, becoming an imposing physical presence with those thundering hits, cleaning up his defensive play and even increasing his offensive output, embodies the essence of this award for me. 

Edited by Karan
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Gallant gets some credit for Trouba’s season so far, but don’t underestimate what it meant adding guys like Goodrow and Reaves which I think had a larger impact.

Last year we pretty much had noone to go to war with Trouba in that bruising physicality department. Nothing against Ryan Lindgren and Brendan Smith, they are capable of throwing the body at times, but they aren’t scaring anyone or setting a tone. Maybe Trouba felt a little “1 vs the world, why bother” last year. This year he has a couple other alpha males around to help feel a bit more comfortable and confident in engaging physically. He was always capable, but it’s his mindset that has clearly been different this year.

In my mind, Trouba definitely in the top 3 for the Steven McDonald. Close call between him, Kreids, and Goodrow.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

There's probably something to that. Confidence begets confidence. Strength begets strength. Physical players best trait is often their ability to have everyone on their team feel a few inches taller. That's a lot easier to accomplish when you're not the only physical player on the roster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I think Gallant gets some credit for Trouba’s season so far, but don’t underestimate what it meant adding guys like Goodrow and Reaves which I think had a larger impact.

Last year we pretty much had noone to go to war with Trouba in that bruising physicality department. Nothing against Ryan Lindgren and Brendan Smith, they are capable of throwing the body at times, but they aren’t scaring anyone or setting a tone. Maybe Trouba felt a little “1 vs the world, why bother” last year. This year he has a couple other alpha males around to help feel a bit more comfortable and confident in engaging physically. He was always capable, but it’s his mindset that has clearly been different this year.

In my mind, Trouba definitely in the top 3 for the Steven McDonald. Close call between him, Kreids, and Goodrow.

I'll buy this, RMC.  I like having a "watchdog" in the front yard to make everyone think twice about jumping that fence.  Reaves brings a certain kind of "attitude" that seems to be infectious.  It gives a guy like Trouba, and even Kreider balls the size of Hippity-Hops, and makes everyone else, like you said engage more physically.  Goodrow seems to be a player that just does his thing, and that's play tough, solid, consistent hockey.  He's a good ingredient to this mix as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'll buy this, RMC.  I like having a "watchdog" in the front yard to make everyone think twice about jumping that fence.  Reaves brings a certain kind of "attitude" that seems to be infectious.  It gives a guy like Trouba, and even Kreider balls the size of Hippity-Hops, and makes everyone else, like you said engage more physically.  Goodrow seems to be a player that just does his thing, and that's play tough, solid, consistent hockey.  He's a good ingredient to this mix as well.

Can’t think of a forward I’d rather have on the ice with less than 2 min to go and protecting a one goal lead than Goodrow. 

• VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Can’t think of a forward I’d rather have on the ice with less than 2 min to go and protecting a one goal lead than Goodrow. 

Yup!  Playoff player...

Someone said it a while back up here, and I forget who.  They said there are players that get you "there" (Playoffs), and there are players that get you through it.  Goodrow, I feel is one of those guys that gets you through them. 

I think it may have been either Keith or Pete...maybe Josh...but it stuck with me, and I think they're dead on with that!  

I was a pretty big advocate of his first signing here, and now I'm seeing the reason pretty clearly what his role is.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Someone said it a while back up here, and I forget who.  They said there are players that get you "there" (Playoffs), and there are players that get you through it.  Goodrow, I feel is one of those guys that gets you through them. 

I raised it recently, but I'm just parroting the phrase Jeff Marek uses, and I'm pretty sure he's just repurposing someone else's phrasing.

That said, Goodrow is absolutely the guy who gets you through, but he's also kinda the guy getting you there this season. He's on pace for record offensive numbers.

• VINNY! 1

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

I raised it recently, but I'm just parroting the phrase Jeff Marek uses, and I'm pretty sure he's just repurposing someone else's phrasing.

That said, Goodrow is absolutely the guy who gets you through, but he's also kinda the guy getting you there this season. He's on pace for record offensive numbers.

I couldn't remember but yeah chief, this guy has been worth it.  I really like his game!  Just the fact that he can slot in anywhere and do what ever they ask him to is awesome!  A lot of us called for a player like this last year, and now we have one....the career year is just the cherry on top!