• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would absolute LOVE to eat my words on Chytil!  He played a pretty good game against the Sabres last night....I'd like to see that against a division rival now.  He's got a lot to prove, but like I said...No time better to make it happen!!!

He's making plays these last number of games we just haven't seen him make with any kind of reliable consistency. More specifically, he's making his linemates better — arguably the number one complaint among those criticizing him (myself included).

• Keeps it 100 2

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed. I think the same can be said of Chytil, so the fact they're finding their footing together is kind of poetic. It's also going to be a major boon come playoff time if it holds. It'll give the Rangers three legitimate scoring duos from lines one through three.

I've seen this from Chytil in the past. The flashes of speed and strength. He just needs to have it be consistent. Looking up, but we'll see. I know as he develops it'll be there consistently. That's always the thing with him. You hope he figures that part out before he's playing on another team. Is it now? I certainly hope so.

With Laffy, it's a bit easier to start believing that he has arrived. He has that #1 OA status and whatever made him that is in there somewhere. We saw some good play most recently on the top line, but I didn't see anything that made me go "this...this is why he went #1". Last couple of games, the impact he has had...that's what I've been saying to myself. "Ok, this is why". Puck magnet.

11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I've seen this from Chytil in the past. The flashes of speed and strength. He just needs to have it be consistent. Looking up, but we'll see. I know as he develops it'll be there consistently. That's always the thing with him. You hope he figures that part out before he's playing on another team. Is it now? I certainly hope so.

With Laffy, it's a bit easier to start believing that he has arrived. He has that #1 OA status and whatever made him that is in there somewhere. We saw some good play most recently on the top line, but I didn't see anything that made me go "this...this is why he went #1". Last couple of games, the impact he has had...that's what I've been saying to myself. "Ok, this is why". Puck magnet.

The goal, specifically, was tremendous. Not the move, but the fact it was scored basically a shift after that utterly uninspiring chance he had where he just tossed it into Andersen's chest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

He's making plays these last number of games we just haven't seen him make with any kind of reliable consistency. More specifically, he's making his linemates better — arguably the number one complaint among those criticizing him (myself included).

I'm not sure if you're talking about Chytil here or Laf...but you could probably say the same about the both of them, and it be pretty accurate!!  LOL

Chytil's pass to Laf was a dandy!!!  ...and Yukon's pass to K' Andre was "pee in my pants" worthy!!  😉

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

The goal, specifically, was tremendous. Not the move, but the fact it was scored basically a shift after that utterly uninspiring chance he had where he just tossed it into Andersen's chest.

I think it's worth pointing out that he came in down the left wing and made that move...that was a sign of his comfort level on that side IMO. One fluid motion to receive the pass and move to the backhand.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I think it's worth pointing out that he came in down the left wing and made that move...that was a sign of his comfort level on that side IMO. One fluid motion to receive the pass and move to the backhand.

Yeah, Joe made a point about that on the broadcast. That's probably accurate. We talk/argue about this idea of guys just moving sides on the ice like it's nothing. I'm sure in some cases that's true, but I'd venture to guess that in most, it isn't. Timing and instincts are born from comfort and repetition.

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about Chytil here or Laf...but you could probably say the same about the both of them, and it be pretty accurate!!  LOL

Chytil's pass to Laf was a dandy!!!  ...and Yukon's pass to K' Andre was "pee in my pants" worthy!!  😉

Chytil.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Chytil.

Yeah, I kinda figured!  He's been actually....pretty good the last couple of games.  I'm hoping maybe that line of Chytil-Laf-Goodrow clicks down the stretch here.  That really would give us a few more options with lines, like you said before.

See ya in the AM with the GDT winner!  😉

• Cheers 1

9 points in his last 13 games. So the production has been there for a good stretch now. I think his overall game is getting better too, which obviously didn't take much. Still, good signs. And he's looking confident doing it, which is the most important thing.

Edited by Gravesy

Weekes made a good point on NHL Tonight:

He said something to the effect of, "Laffy is no longer watching and trying to play...He's PLAYING!".  I'm loving some Laf of late, and I was really hoping for this!  Perfect timing too; I wanna see some playoff magic from my Yukon!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Weekes made a good point on NHL Tonight:

He said something to the effect of, "Laffy is no longer watching and trying to play...He's PLAYING!".  I'm loving some Laf of late, and I was really hoping for this!  Perfect timing too; I wanna see some playoff magic from my Yukon!! 

Great way to put it. 

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Great way to put it. 

I don't know if you watch those guys on NHL Tonight, Pete, but sometimes they have a decent take on players.  That one kinda hit home with me.  You know I've beaten the piss outta Chytil all season, but I've seen a change in his as well of late. 

Is it too late to think maybe he's turned the corner?   ....a little? 

I don't know if you watch those guys on NHL Tonight, Pete, but sometimes they have a decent take on players.  That one kinda hit home with me.  You know I've beaten the piss outta Chytil all season, but I've seen a change in his as well of late. 

Is it too late to think maybe he's turned the corner?   ....a little? 

We have to hope he did, otherwise he needs to sit when Kakko comes back. I don't see another way...I don't even know where Kakko is playing when he comes back. 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

We have to hope he did, otherwise he needs to sit when Kakko comes back. I don't see another way...I don't even know where Kakko is playing when he comes back. 

Kakko better come back with a fire under his ass, because I have no idea where he plays on his return either. He better be taking notes watching guys like Laf, Chytil, and Vatrano really figure it out over the past few games.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, that's certainly a challenge. Nobody in the top-9 deserves 4th line minutes. Kreider, Zibanejad, Vatrano, Panarin, Strome, Copp, Lafreniere, Chytil, Goodrow. I guess Goodie could move down to the 4th line in place of Brodzinski and play with Motte and Hunt, but Brod doesn't deserve to come out. Also not sure where Rooney fits when he's healthy.

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Quinn was ahead of his time

I mean I’m just saying the kid is about to be off his ELC. He hasn’t proven he’s worth the spot. There’s no way he should be handed a top 6-9 spot back right off the bat with the way the current lineup looks. I could give a shit about his development rest of season. I want to win lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I mean I’m just saying the kid is about to be off his ELC. He hasn’t proven he’s worth the spot. There’s no way he should be handed a top 6-9 spot back right off the bat with the way the current lineup looks. I could give a shit about his development rest of season. I want to win lol

I agree 100%. As C or C said, none of the guys in the top 9 currently deserves to lose his spot. Vatrano isn't a 4th liner, Copp and Goody CAN play 4th line, but they're both really solid all-round players that needs to play more than 4th line minutes. Chytil has looked good the last few games aswell.

That said, I prefer this problem over "who's gonna play 2RW between Hunt and McKegg".

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Yeah, that's certainly a challenge. Nobody in the top-9 deserves 4th line minutes. Kreider, Zibanejad, Vatrano, Panarin, Strome, Copp, Lafreniere, Chytil, Goodrow. I guess Goodie could move down to the 4th line in place of Brodzinski and play with Motte and Hunt, but Brod doesn't deserve to come out. Also not sure where Rooney fits when he's healthy.

A few death throes from Chytil doesn't change my mind about him. A third line of Laf-Goody-Kakko > Laf-Chytil-Goody, IMO. 

• VINNY! 4

I still think Kakko goes with Panarin and Strome when he returns.

CK - Zib - Vatrano

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

Laf - Chytil - Copp

Motte - Rooney - Goody

As for Chytil, keep in mind we've seen this before....now is when he usually gets hurt and he becomes a black hole again after the injury.

Edited by Long live the King
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Funny on that, huh?

I don’t think it’s a coincidence honestly.

We all have to remember that while moving from LW to RW might not seem a huge adjustment, it’s still an adjustment, particularly at that age and experience level. Plus, we all know he’s not really played over there before, or not much, which has been pointed out several times, as this kid has been the best player on his team since probably what, age 12?

Youre not asking that kid to move. You’re just going to park him at LW on your top line and let him go. 

I said this the other day, but early in the year, LaFreniere-Goodrow-Blais looked pretty good together. I think had that group gotten a chance to stay together, they had at least a fair chance and doing pretty well together. Really sucks that Blais got hurt.

Not trying to overvalue a guy who had a whopping 120 games of NHL experience at about 12 minutes a night under his belt, but I do think they’ve really missed him and that his injury seriously fucked up the depth and deployment options Gallant expected.