• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don't understand why this is a problem, though. People's opinions can change when the data changes.

We're all obsessed with receipts here, and opportunistically ramming it down people's throats when we're "right". Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

What's wrong with me saying Kakko stinks today? He does. If he doesn't stink next year then I'll adjust. That's my right. If anyone wants to sit here for 3 years and say they see something in Kakko today that makes them think he'll be good in year 4, then they are supremely optimistic but that optimism isn't based on anything real. Not the eye test or the numbers (this year, his metrics were actually good last year). 

Similarly with Lafreniere, this kid showed absolutely nothing on the ice that would make anyone think he even belonged in the NHL until about halfway through this season. It was really more supreme optimism based on wishful thinking more than anything he did on the ice. We can talk about his ES goal totals and we all also know alot of them were shot into nets with no goalie. Good on him, Strome would have missed those. 

Regarding trading guys...it's a capped league and the Rangers are up against it. No one wants to trade Kakko, but the cap might demand a move. With Miller, you have to give to get. Was Philly gonna trade us Giroux for Dryden Hunt and Tarmo Reuannen?

Lundkvist stinks today. He may not tomorrow. I'm not allowed to say he stinks today?

Also, in case more clarification is needed, same players should go to the AHL is not enough on them, it's where players go to develop. So I'm not sure if part of your beef is with people saying that certain players don't belong in the nhl, it's because right now they don't and to your point when they are 19, 20, 21, there's absolutely nothing wrong with sending them to the AHL... And then players like Schneider step right in and look like they belong instead of looking like they're completely overwhelmed like our first and second overalls.

End of day, coming in here hot like you have been I just trashing people because they've said certain players stink, don't forget that the people saying these players stink also aren't wrong. Will they stink tomorrow is anybody's guess, but some players are starting to look better than others and you are starting to see glimpses of what's possible. It should be an exciting time for everybody, not a time to come in here and say "see I told you so" because of one highlight real goal against a terrible team and goalie.

You know it would have been great, if he followed up his four shots in 13 minutes with two goals performance against Detroit with something better than a two-shot performance in 15 minutes against Winnipeg.

Damn. You must have had a power breakfast this morning. Bacon omelette washed down with a protein shake?

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don't understand why this is a problem, though. People's opinions can change when the data changes.

We're all obsessed with receipts here, and opportunistically ramming it down people's throats when we're "right". Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

What's wrong with me saying Kakko stinks today? He does. If he doesn't stink next year then I'll adjust. That's my right. If anyone wants to sit here for 3 years and say they see something in Kakko today that makes them think he'll be good in year 4, then they are supremely optimistic but that optimism isn't based on anything real. Not the eye test or the numbers (this year, his metrics were actually good last year). 

Similarly with Lafreniere, this kid showed absolutely nothing on the ice that would make anyone think he even belonged in the NHL until about halfway through this season. It was really more supreme optimism based on wishful thinking more than anything he did on the ice. We can talk about his ES goal totals and we all also know alot of them were shot into nets with no goalie. Good on him, Strome would have missed those. 

Regarding trading guys...it's a capped league and the Rangers are up against it. No one wants to trade Kakko, but the cap might demand a move. With Miller, you have to give to get. Was Philly gonna trade us Giroux for Dryden Hunt and Tarmo Reuannen?

Lundkvist stinks today. He may not tomorrow. I'm not allowed to say he stinks today?

Also, in case more clarification is needed, same players should go to the AHL is not enough on them, it's where players go to develop. So I'm not sure if part of your beef is with people saying that certain players don't belong in the nhl, it's because right now they don't and to your point when they are 19, 20, 21, there's absolutely nothing wrong with sending them to the AHL... And then players like Schneider step right in and look like they belong instead of looking like they're completely overwhelmed like our first and second overalls.

End of day, coming in here hot like you have been I just trashing people because they've said certain players stink, don't forget that the people saying these players stink also aren't wrong. Will they stink tomorrow is anybody's guess, but some players are starting to look better than others and you are starting to see glimpses of what's possible. It should be an exciting time for everybody, not a time to come in here and say "see I told you so" because of one highlight real goal against a terrible team and goalie.

You know it would have been great, if he followed up his four shots in 13 minutes with two goals performance against Detroit with something better than a two-shot performance in 15 minutes against Winnipeg.

This is great stuff....but that Strome comment almost made me fall out of my chair, @Pete!!!  😃

Dude, he got us a couple last night!!  That's our boy!!! 

...even hit an empty netter!!!!   Wooooooooooooooooo! 

I think I need a Strome approval!!!  LOL

• VINNY! 3

5 hours ago, Capt said:

Seriously WTF are you talking about?  Not needing to explain?  Ok how about not needing to explain Patrick Nemeth?  Is it possible that Nemeth isn't in the Rangers long term plans?  How do you fit his contract under the cap?  He's on a fucking etc right now.  So yeah no need to explain with your logic.  I have no idea what Lundqvist turns into.  Miller and Trouba are just two examples of players whose value in the fans eyes have drastically changed over the past year.  

How much do watch Hartford.  Admittedly I don't watch at all.  I took your narrative that he "stinks up the AHL daily" as true.  Yet a quick search and I find this

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2022/3/8/22965921/rangers-nils-lundkvist-checking-in

So obviously it's just diarrhea of the keyboard which is what has become expected of you.  So again it seems like his status as future NHL defenseman has not changed at all.  His future here is unknown and the variables for him staying are endless.  You talk about cap yet can't fathom how a young player on an elc finds a way onto the Rangers roster?  Your argument is all over the place and is based on made up assumptions.

Anyway,  the article pretty much says he has no future with the Rangers. It suggests maybe he can switch sides, but earlier in the article they say Gallant likes to use D men with size on his 3rd pair. Which has been the norm.

Nemeths contract has zero impact on Lundkvists next contract, so I have no clue what your point is there. 

Please watch your tone. There's zero need to talk shit here. (Diarrhea of the mouth expected of me? ). You're taking a simple disagreement about a players future with the team to something personal. 

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Lafreniere leads the league in goals for players in their D+2 seasons since 4/17/22

He's really had a pretty good 2nd half of the season.  I would absolutely LOVE to see him ring up a solid playoff performance this year....we could use it!!!

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Like I said, he's got a ton of goals where there was no goalie in the net. I didn't say "empty net goal". If you watch every single goal he's scored this year, you can see it.

That's cool, but no one is saying that.

Pete do you have the dude on ignore because he's saying that, repeatedly about Lundkvist.  He has completely written him off

Edited by Capt

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Anyway,  the article pretty much says he has no future with the Rangers. It suggests maybe he can switch sides, but earlier in the article they say Gallant likes to use D men with size on his 3rd pair. Which has been the norm.

Nemeths contract has zero impact on Lundkvists next contract, so I have no clue what your point is there. 

Please watch your tone. There's zero need to talk shit here. (Diarrhea of the mouth expected of me? ). You're taking a simple disagreement about a players future with the team to something personal. 

Ah yeah I read the article it pretty much says everything I've saying to you.  You stated that he is stinking up the AHL which is not true.  It says he's showing he's ready for a larger stage.  Obviously he has players ahead of him nobody ever argued that he didn't.  Injuries happen, players get moved for cap or trade reasons, or he can switch sides and take Nemeth's spot which is why I bring him up.  I'm not claiming he's jumping Fox, Trouba, Schneider or Miller.  The others are becoming disposable in my view.  I'm a big fan of Lindgren but there is no way they can resign him in my view.  Why are you talking about Lundkvist's next contract?  He's on an elc and right now he has no basis for a raise.  His contract status actually makes it more likely he finds a way on the roster.   To me it's between Jones, Robertson, and Lundkvist for 1 to 2 spots.

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He's really had a pretty good 2nd half of the season.  I would absolutely LOVE to see him ring up a solid playoff performance this year....we could use it!!!

Well obviously playoff performances is going to alter or reinforce everyones opinion about every player here.  Safe to say there will be guy or two who will need to go in the fans view if they crap the bed come playoff time.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Like I said, he's got a ton of goals where there was no goalie in the net. I didn't say "empty net goal". If you watch every single goal he's scored this year, you can see it.

That's cool, but no one is saying that.

Who cares?  Adam Graves scored 52 goals in 93-94 all from about 2 feet from the net.   Now we have to worry about how he scores?  Does anyone give a shit that Kreider has scored 35 of his goals from rebounds and deflections?  They all count the same and when he bangs in one of those empty net goals in OT come playoff time nobody will care.  

• Keeps it 100 1

I think the easiest way to compare what Alf could be is to just look at Stutzle

ALF

74 gp. 17g 10a 27 points …..26 at even strength averaging  13:55 TOI

Stutlze 

74 gp  20g 33a 53 points  30 at even strength averaging 18:16 TOI 

Stutzle gets top pp minutes. Alf doesn’t.  If you take away his pp production, stutzle’’s line is

74 gp 14g 16a 30 points,  probably around 15-16 TOI which looks damn near Alf. He’s fine. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Capt said:

Who cares?  Adam Graves scored 52 goals in 93-94 all from about 2 feet from the net.   Now we have to worry about how he scores?  Does anyone give a shit that Kreider has scored 35 of his goals from rebounds and deflections?  They all count the same and when he bangs in one of those empty net goals in OT come playoff time nobody will care.  

What does distance have to do with the goalie falling down, facing the other way, playing the puck and giving it directly to Lafreniere to put in a wide open cage (that actually happened twice, once off his face).

Yea, sorry, they all count the same but how you score still matters.

1 hour ago, Capt said:

Pete do you have the dude on ignore because he's saying that, repeatedly about Lundkvist.  He has completely written him off

I just try not to read them because I don't see the point, he claims to have me on ignore but then reacts to my posts, whatever.  

Did he say he'll never play for the Rangers, or never in the NHL? Because the former is very likely. The latter, not so much.

4 hours ago, Capt said:

Ah yeah I read the article it pretty much says everything I've saying to you.  You stated that he is stinking up the AHL which is not true.  It says he's showing he's ready for a larger stage.  Obviously he has players ahead of him nobody ever argued that he didn't.  Injuries happen, players get moved for cap or trade reasons, or he can switch sides and take Nemeth's spot which is why I bring him up.  I'm not claiming he's jumping Fox, Trouba, Schneider or Miller.  The others are becoming disposable in my view.  I'm a big fan of Lindgren but there is no way they can resign him in my view.  Why are you talking about Lundkvist's next contract?  He's on an elc and right now he has no basis for a raise.  His contract status actually makes it more likely he finds a way on the roster.   To me it's between Jones, Robertson, and Lundkvist for 1 to 2 spots.

I don't know why my post was changed. I had stated that I was unaware of Lundkvists recent uptick tick in an apologetic way.  

You're not saying Lundkvist will leapfrog Fox, Trouba, Schneider or Miller, yet your not telling me where you think he fits in. I'm saying I don't see a spot for him. I like Jones too, but I'm not sure there's a spot for him either. 

Lindgren is signed for 2 more years. Why are you worried about resigning him? 

I'm talking about Lundqvists next contract in that, if he were to pan out, he's going to cost a pretty penny.  The Rangers aren't going to carry another right handed, mostly offensive minded, small D man and pay him accordingly. Not with Fox and Trouba already signed long term and Miller likely due for a deal like Lindgrens or better. Are you suggesting Lundkvist will be next level by next season? So good that they couldn't possibly keep him off the roster? That makes some sense with how you're going about this. I don't think he will be good enough to force their hand in that way. Frankly I think he's traded by the draft. Hence what I've been getting at. 

I think the spot you are talking about is Nemeths until they can unload him, then it's either Robertsons or another vets spot.

I don't see Gallant wanting much more offensive minded D- men, when he has Fox Trouba and to an extent Miller. 

Even if they did unload Lindgren,  you aren’t going to see Jones or Lundkvist paired with Fox. I don't see Miller as a good fit with Fox either.

It's already been established that Gallant likes size on his 3rd pair.  All of this leads me to think there is no spot for Lundkvist. If you think you see an eventual opening for him, I'd like to hear it. Tell me your scenario of how he fits. Because I don't see much chance of the top 4 changing any time soon, and the only possibility would be Lindgren,  whom Lundkvist doesn't replace.. 

4 hours ago, Capt said:

Thats not what I said. I've written his Ranger career off. I said he doesn't have a future HERE. There's a difference. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I just try not to read them because I don't see the point, he claims to have me on ignore but then reacts to my posts, whatever.  

Did he say he'll never play for the Rangers, or never in the NHL? Because the former is very likely. The latter, not so much.

I've had the pleasure of seeing you're responses to others and occasionally manually undo the ignore feature to see what you have to say on some issues.  

At times we agree. So of course I'm going to see what the guy that has similar views has to say. 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

I've had the pleasure of seeing you're responses to others and occasionally manually undo the ignore feature to see what you have to say on some issues.  

At times we agree. So of course I'm going to see what the guy that has similar views has to say. 

It's a more interesting conversation with someone who has different views.