• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

31 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

That's where I disagree if they want to become serious cup contenders I think they need to have all the pieces clicking. Not having the luxury of time in the sense of there's no hurry for Kakko and Load to pick it up drastically while the prime years of Panarin, Zib and Kreider fly by, I don't think it's one or the other for this team to seriously compete. I think it all has to fall into place. I don't think anybody's definition of success for a 1 and 2OA is years of hoping they grow into ok 200 foot players while your prime guys fade before Lod and Kakko step up into production leaders.  We've seen the combination of Zib, Panarin and Kreider come up short a few times up front. 

I think you're speaking past me a bit here. Might throw @Pete in that group too.

We don't need them to be superstars right now, almost exclusively because we have the luxury of Panarin and Zib and (to a lesser, but surprisingly effective extent this season) Kreider. We do need them progressing toward being effective top 6 pieces this season, which isn't happening at near the pace we need it to in order to be cup competitive.

Yeah, it'd be great if Laf and Kakko suddenly became Kane and Stone, but we don't need that just yet - that'd be a luxury and the place we need them in like 24-25. We do, however, need them to be, say, Kevin Fiala and Nino Neiderreiter (just as off the cuff examples) on this team to be successful this year.

22 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Show me exactly where I said I'll be happy being bounced in round whatever. Show me. Exactly where I said that. You're literally making up an argument no one said. 

I think I'm done climbing a mountain to argue with an echo. I'll hang my hat on that. 

No no no. It's the "We made the playoffs " hat hook. Get it right. Jeez. 

You didn't say that. But that's where the team is right now. Can you agree that they are not a top contender? Can you agree that they need more production from other forwards to be considered a legit threat?

I think you would agree. So, I'm not exactly sure what your problem is besides trying to prove some weird point about Lafreniere being affordable while being unproductive..  As if in 3 years he will magically turn into a 1st liner.

Like I said though...  I'm not sure if that's your problem.  Don't wanna put the proverbial  "words in your mouth" . Just guessing kinda, because you aren't really making a point that I can agree with, since we see things quite a bit differently here. 

Edited by The Dude

50 games left and we shall see what unfolds....

He's got the right players with a solid winning attitude around him now to learn from.  We've got a really good, experienced coach to help guide and support him along the way.  He's learned the NHL game, and has developed a good sense of 2 way hockey.

He'll produce...we have time...plenty of it left this season.

Watch this kid take off in the second half of this season...It's gonna happen, and I'm gonna giggle everytime @Bugg posts something "Yukon" related!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No no no. It's the "We made the playoffs " hat hook. Get it right. Jeez. 

You didn't say that. But that's where the team is right now. Can you agree that they are not a top contender? Can you agree that they need more production from other forwards to be considered a legit threat?

I think you would agree. So, I'm not exactly sure what your problem is besides trying to prove some weird point about Lafreniere being affordable while being unproductive..  As if in 3 years he will magically turn into a 1st liner.

Like I said though...  I'm not sure if that's your problem.  Don't wanna put the proverbial  "words in your mouth" . Just guessing kinda, because you aren't really making a point that I can agree with, since we see things quite a bit differently here. 

what does any of that have to do with me making a cap related comment? I never mentioned one word about contender. I never said one word about him magically improving overnight in year three. I never mentioned playoffs. Hell, i wasnt even talking to you in the first place with the cap comment. I was just pointing out a mathematical cap dilemma we all would gladly have if he were producing. Unfortunately so far it doesn't look like it'll be a problem. Doesnt mean there isn't a potential cap problem. The silver lining is the organization probably hopes that by his third contract,both he and Kakko have progressed enough to be worthy of big long term contracts. No one is saying "thank god Alf or Kakko aren't producing."

You're literally changing the goalposts, field, and context just to try and call out a point about where we are with a salary cap thats likely to not go up any time soon. My problem is, you took a comment, removed the entire context of the comment, put words on the screen that I never said, and tried to shame the very point after adding in things i didnt type and removing the context. There is no point to discuss anything further with you. 

Just now, Keirik said:

what does any of that have to do with me making a cap related comment? I never mentioned one word about contender. I never said one word about him magically improving overnight in year three. I never mentioned playoffs. Hell, i wasn't even talking to you in the first place with the cap comment. I was just pointing out a mathematical cap dilemma we all would gladly have if he were producing. Unfortunately so far it doesn't look like it'll be a problem. Doesnt mean there isn't a potential cap problem. The silver lining is the organization probably hopes that by his third contract,both he and Kakko have progressed enough to be worthy of big long term contracts. No one is saying "thank god Alf or Kakko aren't producing."

You're literally changing the goalposts, field, and context just to try and call out a point about where we are with a salary cap that's likely to not go up any time soon. My problem is, you took a comment, removed the entire context of the comment, put words on the screen that I never said, and tried to shame the very point after adding in things i didn't type and removing the context. There is no point to discuss anything further with you. 

Did I mention that I wish Quinn was back??   LOL

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

what does any of that have to do with me making a cap related comment? I never mentioned one word about contender. I never said one word about him magically improving overnight in year three. I never mentioned playoffs. Hell, i wasnt even talking to you in the first place with the cap comment. I was just pointing out a mathematical cap dilemma we all would gladly have if he were producing. Unfortunately so far it doesn't look like it'll be a problem. Doesnt mean there isn't a potential cap problem. The silver lining is the organization probably hopes that by his third contract,both he and Kakko have progressed enough to be worthy of big long term contracts. No one is saying "thank god Alf or Kakko aren't producing."

You're literally changing the goalposts, field, and context just to try and call out a point about where we are with a salary cap thats likely to not go up any time soon. My problem is, you took a comment, removed the entire context of the comment, put words on the screen that I never said, and tried to shame the very point after adding in things i didnt type and removing the context. There is no point to discuss anything further with you. 

I did nothing of the sort. 

Let's do the old agree to disagree that it's any sort of good at all in any situation that Lafreniere and Kakko are not producing now or anytime soon. 

It seems to me you have little to no problem with it, because you don't think they have to right now/this season,  because the Rangers have a good record right now.  You pointed to the standings. Which is you deeming how good they are, which should translate next to playoff contender.   Often times, you don't have to say things. It's clear what your thinking is. Especially if you feel you can point to the standings to quantify how little the Rangers need support from these players. Why point to the standings at all if that's not where you were going?

I disagree with that thinking. I want a long run and I don't see that happening with these players current production. It's that simple. No need to grandstand and make a big deal about it. 

Our timelines of where we think the Rangers need these players contributions is not the same.

Ok? Ok.

Let's go Rangers. Ya?

It’s worth entertaining the notion that while, yes, a 1OA should be able to make his teammates better, it is possible that both chytil and Gauthier are actually that bad. For instance Panarin is not helping either one of them either. 

Anyway, that’s laf’s spot this year so he needs to figure out how to contribute there, happy to see him making good on top 6 time 

I gotta admit it...I fucking bust out laughing tonight when he buried that first one!!  ...Then he sets up Goodrow, another guy I love for this team on a beauty of a pass.

Banner night...banner win, and I think my new favorite player is starting to turn the corner!!!

Hey @Bugg....where ya at, man???  .....we need a little Yukon love!!!

GIF by Margaux Resources Ltd.

• VINNY! 1

Laf had another nice game in bread’s spot last night. Looks a lot more engaged and is making some of those plays you’d expect out of someone with his pedigree. Mentioned the “playing with good players” thing again, there is likely a lot more to this than we don’t see. Not to make excuses for the kid, who has definitely been below expectations and out of shape, but he looks far more at

home with strome and goodrow than he ever has with chytil and whoever. 

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

Laf had another nice game in bread’s spot last night. Looks a lot more engaged and is making some of those plays you’d expect out of someone with his pedigree. Mentioned the “playing with good players” thing again, there is likely a lot more to this than we don’t see. Not to make excuses for the kid, who has definitely been below expectations and out of shape, but he looks far more at

home with strome and goodrow than he ever has with chytil and whoever. 

Chytil sucks. He really doesn't cut it. Laf was slotted into the top 6 going into the year. Hopefully he can stick there. Try Panarin with Chytil upon his return; can't make Chytil worse; that for sure.

• 2 weeks later...