• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is it Time to Have the K'Andre Discussion?

Keirik

So I’m not going to pretend that I know the advanced stats out there. This is a pure eye test on my part. However, I feel as if you can separate his first 15 or so games in the NHL and the rest of the games since to see that he has really been average at best. Most days he seems incredibly bad. I think pairing him with Trouba has been a detriment to him but still. I don’t see Trouba going anywhere so we have to discuss this at some point. He seems athletic enough but slow at the same time in transition. He turns 22 in two months so while young, he’s not that young in terms of age. 

thoughts? 

Perfectly underwhelming since his first 20 or so games. I'm all ears to hear someone's thoughts on what aspect of his game has gotten better since. 

Imo he's not improved at all but what's even worse he's going in the wrong direction and at a pretty steady pace. 

I also think while in almost every situation you can point a finger and say well player Y is on the ice with player X so what do you expect. I would expect player Y to show signs of not playing like ass regardless. You can't always blame everybody else for your play. Be better. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I think I might be the only person who thinks he's fine.

He's in his second season, often taking on top lines, and paired with Trouba - who while solid, isn't an all-NHL Defender who can mask his problems completely.

Couple this with the fact that the rest of the team has struggled, and he's dealing with a fair bit more volume than other players would in his situation.

I'm not sure if people were expecting Shea Weber or Chris Pronger, but I've always set my expectations at Skjei, which to me is fine as long as he's not paid like Skjei.

• Phil changed the title to Is it Time to Have the K'Andre Discussion?

I'm not really concerned with Miller. He's an NHL dman. Probably ends up as a bottom pairing guy when the team is ready to actually do something. The amount of time they spend in their own zone this season is really troubling and it's part of the reason Miller is being exposed so often. 

The positive is he should remain cheap for a while.

It feels like people forget what a rebuild is. D take a LONG time to develop. I'll start worrying about him in a couple years. For now, hopefully his confidence isnt shattered beyond repair, because like pretty much ever young guy on the team, he probably should have went to the AHL first. 

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I'm not really concerned with Miller. He's an NHL dman. Probably ends up as a bottom pairing guy when the team is ready to actually do something. The amount of time they spend in their own zone this season is really troubling and it's part of the reason Miller is being exposed so often. 

The positive is he should remain cheap for a while.

It feels like people forget what a rebuild is. D take a LONG time to develop. I'll start worrying about him in a couple years. For now, hopefully his confidence isnt shattered beyond repair, because like pretty much ever young guy on the team, he probably should have went to the AHL first. 

If they are declaring themselves a playoff team, they should consider what's best for everyone involved... Is it better for him and the team to have him getting undressed every night or just letting him get his feet underneath him in the AHL.

1 hour ago, josh said:

Let some of the other kids, I think he needs to play through it at the NHL level. Have him sit a game or two. That's fine. Get rest. Get a different perspective on a game. Come back strong. 

This I agree with. Miller is rough right now, but the alternatives to replace him will be just as bad if not worse. They really should just get him away from Trouba because despite analytics saying they're good together, they're a horror show to watch.

22 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This I agree with. Miller is rough right now, but the alternatives to replace him will be just as bad if not worse. They really should just get him away from Trouba because despite analytics saying they're good together, they're a horror show to watch.

The good together analytics-like being in ice for every even strength goal against? 

Edited by Bugg

He's gotta sit or be pushed down to a lower pair. He really doesn't look good. Ive been saying it for days. Hajek should be playing over most everyone in the bottom 4.  I mean, Tinordi? Nemeth? You can't. 

With Miller, I think the coaches are asking for offense from him and I don't think he capable of it. If he could just concentrate on being a shut down defender, he'd look 100 times better. He doesn't even have to be physical. His skating looks like he's taken a step back. He's slow out there. 

I’m not particularly worried about him. However, he definitely needed time in the AHL. He’s clearly going through growing pains, which should probably have been expected. Defense is the hardest position for a young player to grow into and the longest position to grow into developmentally. He’s 65 games into what is normally a 200-250 game developmental curve. 
Galant sees the struggles too. His ice time has dropped considerably over the last 4-5 games.

All that said, I believe this kid is an NHL Dman and a top-4 one at that when all is said and done.

So much is made of all this team fancying themselves as a playoff team, etc., which maybe they are. But everyone needs to remain patient. In order to really be contenders, the main kids in the lineup need to make big contributions.

Those kids are still learning, growing, and developing. Forcing things and being hasty never goes well. 

Just let them play. 

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’m not particularly worried about him. However, he definitely needed time in the AHL. He’s clearly going through growing pains, which should probably have been expected. Defense is the hardest position for a young player to grow into and the longest position to grow into developmentally. He’s 65 games into what is normally a 200-250 game developmental curve. 
Galant sees the struggles too. His ice time has dropped considerably over the last 4-5 games.

All that said, I believe this kid is an NHL Dman and a top-4 one at that when all is said and done.

So much is made of all this team fancying themselves as a playoff team, etc., which maybe they are. But everyone needs to remain patient. In order to really be contenders, the main kids in the lineup need to make big contributions.

Those kids are still learning, growing, and developing. Forcing things and being hasty never goes well. 

Just let them play. 

I dont think anyone is giving up on him but we def. see the growing pains which is why the AHL suggestion has been made. I agree he is going to be a top 4 dman down the line.