• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Regression Candidate: Sammy Blais

Pete

1 minute ago, Phil said:

What gun? The argument is that he's not a fourth-line plug, but the kind of player with enough underlying skill he'll show from time-to-time (like last night) that moves up the lineup, even to the first line, aren't implausible.

15 goals.  You’re not a double digit goal scorer u til you actually do it. 

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

15 goals.  You’re not a double digit goal scorer u til you actually do it. 

Maybe, yeah. It would be a significant jump, but it's not totally unrealistic. He had one in his first 11 games, then 2 in 32, 6 in 40, and 8 in 36 last year. Feels like he's making slow, steady progression.

Just now, Phil said:

Maybe, yeah. It would be a significant jump, but it's not totally unrealistic. He had one in his first 11 games, then 2 in 32, 6 in 40, and 8 in 36 last year. Feels like he's making slow, steady progression.

Yeah, he looks to be trending up but I just think we are getting ahead of ourselves if we start thinking projections. I’m not sure how we won the trade quite yet. Technically Buch was trending up as well. 

• Applause 1

Buch who???

...wait, we also got a second rounder with that one!!!  LOL

Yeah, I know it's only pre-season, but I like his game and I also like that the guy hits everything in sight.

Edited by Ozzy

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Is this guy what we hoped Gauthier would progress into?

Last season I wanted to see an impact player that could successfully" play up or down the lineup with grit, size, and skill.  Blais, so far this pre-season has shown lots of promise in all 3 of those areas.  I think he and Goodrow may just be what the doctor ordered.  You can probably put Hunt in that conversation as well.

I like what we've done over the off-season so far.  And Reaves was icing on the cake!!  I hope he's back soon!

Gauthier, to steal a line from @josh, "...has the tools, but not the toolbox"....or so it seems to me.

Edited by Ozzy

26 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Gauthier has also been incredibly snake-bitten too. He'd equal or majorly surpass the likes of Blais in offensive production if his hands were a bit better or he didn't hit the post all of the time. Plus I think he needs to play a bit bigger to make more of an impact in general.

He's incredibly snake bitten because he only has 1 play.

I think he's so snake bitten he's proven to be not good enough to play in the NHL on a highly competitive team. At some point you cross over that bridge from snake bitten to not being any good, he's there in my opinion. A JAG or AAAA guy whatever is less derogatory. 

4 hours ago, Valriera said:

no I don’t agree - Blais is everything you hope your pick turns into and Buchnevich is everything you hope you don’t have to pay 6m a season for

Why would you not want to pay a two way forward, who can log top 6 minutes and pot you almost a  PPG? The kid is just hitting his stride and only signed a 4 year deal.  He's everything you HOPE Kravtsov can be, but he's already it. 

I'll never understand the take on how people are glad he's gone or that he got overpaid. I'd rather pay a skill guy just under 6, than pay a grinder just under 4... 

Not knocking Blais. He's exactly what the Rangers need.  I honestly still think if given the long leash Blais has under the new coach, Lemieux would be a very similar player. Many will disagree I'm sure. But, it's one of those things we will never know. 

IMO a teams mentality can change when such players are given the leash to play on and over the edge. IT SEEMS the Rangers are now giving that green light. I don't think it was there in years past.

Maybe this green light wakes Trouba the fuck up. Definitely the most or second most disappointing player in pre season, along with his partner Miller. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why would you not want to pay a two way forward, who can log top 6 minutes and pot you almost a  PPG? The kid is just hitting his stride and only signed a 4 year deal.  He's everything you HOPE Kravtsov can be, but he's already it. 

I'll never understand the take on how people are glad he's gone or that he got overpaid. I'd rather pay a skill guy just under 6, than pay a grinder just under 4... 

Not knocking Blais. He's exactly what the Rangers need.  I honestly still think if given the long leash Blais has under the new coach, Lemieux would be a very similar player. Many will disagree I'm sure. But, it's one of those things we will never know. 

IMO a teams mentality can change when such players are given the leash to play on and over the edge. IT SEEMS the Rangers are now giving that green light. I don't think it was there in years past.

Maybe this green light wakes Trouba the fuck up. Definitely the most or second most disappointing player in pre season, along with his partner Miller. 

This is a major oversimplification of what has happened.

A) Trading Buch opened a spot in the top 6 for a younger, cheaper skill guy in Kakko.

B) Not giving Buch $5.8 million per year (plus the cost of another role player) allowed them to turn one player into two (Blais $1.5 and Goodrow $3.6).  So Kakko with skill slides from the 3rd line to the top 6.  Goodrow takes Kakko's place on the 3rd line.  In Blais and Goodrow you're adding two players that bring a style element to the team that was sorely lacking last year, AND you still have money left over to resign your Lafs, Kakkos, and Foxes in the years to come.

C) Lemieux sucks

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 2

8 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

A) Trading Buch opened a spot in the top 6 for a younger, cheaper skill guy in Kakko.

B) Not giving Buch $5.8 million per year (plus the cost of another role player) allowed them to turn one player into two (Blais $1.5 and Goodrow $3.6).  So Kakko with skill slides from the 3rd line to the top 6.  Goodrow takes Kakko's place on the 3rd line.  In Blais and Goodrow you're adding two players that bring a style element to the team that was sorely lacking last year, AND you still have money left over to resign your Lafs, Kakkos, and Foxes in the years to come.

C) Lemieux sucks

they should've kept Buch and traded or dumped Kreider.  Buch is far more useful player than Kreider IMO, and cheaper

11 hours ago, Long live the King said:

C) Lemieux sucks

Talk about over simplified. You're dropping an almost ppg player who can pk, and has become a bit gritty and replacing him with a kid who hasn't done anything in the NHL in 2 seasons after being a top 2 pick... There's a bigger drop off in production there than you care to discuss. Who's to say Kakko or Kravstov can fill those shoes? Ever? 

They could have had Goodrow and Buch, and have zero questions about where production was going to come from. 

You keep saying you need to dump Buchnevich (ppg) to sign 2- unknowns, to big time contracts that they may never earn. 

Bllais most certainly brings something the Rangers didn't utilize in the last few years. Meanness. Kreider going after Subban and getting rave reviews from Gallant shows you that the mindset from the guy behind the bench allows the players to walk and cross that line. Pre Wilson, Quinn would never condone any player for going after Subban after a play like that.  No emotion was allowed to be shown on the ice. Retaliation, agitating, starting a fight for no reason,  arguing with refs, cheap shots being dealt out, slamming penalty box doors...  It wasn't looked upon in the same light it is now. 

Tiinordi would never even get a sniff, nevermind PRAISE from Quinn (if he were here at the time). Gallant loves that guy, and it's only because he can throw fists and start some shit.

I say all this because, I honestly think Lemieux would flourish under Gallant and if he can play the pest role, in a way where he doesn't get ostracized for doing stupid stuff, he should be around for years in the league. Much like how Blais and Goodrow are able to do such things and be considered gritty. 

Edited by The Dude

Lemieux is a shitty hockey player no matter who the coach is. On pace for a whopping 18 points over 82 games as a King. 

We need to stop referring to a ~55 point player who scored ~75 pace in a contract year as a "p/g player".

Buch is absolutely the type of player you walk away from. Career year in a contract year, cap is crunched, players ready to slot into his role, etc.

The only misstep was not getting a first back. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

You dump Buchnevich to afford the upcoming contracts of Norris winner Adam Fox, former 2nd overall pick Kaapo Kakko, and eventually 1st overall pick Alexis Lafrenierre who all need to be re-signed within the next one to two seasons. You also evaluate where your talent is at and who you think will develop. Kakko is primed for a breakout and already looks quicker and more of a scoring threat. Kravtsov has been injured but played well in limited minutes alongside superstar playmaker Kevin Rooney. Gauthier apparently has looked half decent, though I haven't noticed him.

Your trade options are the players either priced very highly or going to be priced highly, that can also be moved to a team willing to take them. Kreider and Trouba have high salaries and NMCs, so that knocks them off. All of our prospect depth is on the wings, so that doesn't make Strome a likely candidate. Zibanejad is our #1 C. The only logical option to avoid yet another cap crunch was Buchnevich, end of story.

And fuck Brendan Lemieux. Guy is a scrub.

Edited by Xander
  • Like 1

the only reason i dont see an issue with trading Buch is that i still think this team is 3-4 years away from having their window and by that time Buch most likely would've been at the end of his prime, if not passed it.  but ideally they should've gotten rid of Kreider instead of Buch

Edited by CCCP