• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Regression Candidate: Sammy Blais

Pete

Sammy Blais, LW/RW, New York Rangers

Strapped for cap space, the New York Rangers were forced to trade Pavel Buchnevich for cents on the dollar. The centrepiece of the return was Blues power forward Sammy Blais. Blais is well regarded in many industry circles due to his robust physical attributes and ability to drive the net. He can be an effective player for the Rangers but he scored at an 18-goal, 34 points-per-82 games pace last season which seems tough to replicate.

Right off the bat, one of the biggest potential differences is role and linemate quality.

In St. Louis, Blais didn’t play a ton of minutes but he had spurts where he was able to move up the lineup to get looks with the likes of Ryan O’Reilly, Brayden Schenn and Robert Thomas. Blais, in fact, scored half his goals when he shared the ice with O’Reilly. Those kinds of opportunities may not be available in New York where the Rangers boast a deep top-nine. So far, he’s gotten a look next to Kevin Rooney and Ryan Reaves — a pretty significant downgrade in terms of offensive help.

In addition to that, Blais also benefitted from a sky-high 25.8 percent shooting clip which is nearly double his career average. Blais has promise and should add some jam to the Rangers’ lineup, but it’s unlikely he’ll produce at the kind of middle-six rate he managed last season.

https://theathletic.com/2862268/2021/10/06/the-nhls-top-10-regression-candidates-for-2021-22?source=user-shared-article

##

This is a guy I hope can somehow make it off the 4th line and I feel might see time with Panarin as a real puck hunting type. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like this tried when Kreider slumps:

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Strome Blais

Kreider Chytil Goodrow

As top 9.

• Like 1

Same. Goes back to the Blues Cup run with him playing a huge role on the top line as the puck retriever. He feels, to me, like he has a little more offense than Goodrow, so if you're gonna get someone up in the lineup to be that X factor, it's him.

I've been really impressed with his game in camp. Even if he isn't putting up points, that's not what we brought him in for anyway. At a $1.5mil cap hit, I don't care if he puts up half the pace he did last season.

That said, I agree with Pete here. He could be a good compliment to Panarin/Strome similar to Fast or Manbea...Blackwell.

It will be interesting to see how Gallant does this.

With all the talent we have on the wings, Blais can't really play top 6 minutes full time. It would lead to Kreider playing 3rd line and Kravtsov out of the lineup.

Finding a balance where he can slot up in some games, but mainly play on the 4th line will be the key here. There have been games where our skilled players have been taken completely out of the game (especially against Islanders). That's the games where having a guy like Blais in the top 6 will be really useful, but mainly I want to see him, Roons and Reaves/Hunt give us one of the best 4th lines in the league.

8 minutes ago, G1000 said:

The thing about Blais is that when he's not scoring, he should have impact. Quite literally, too. 

I mean, he has. In every game we've seen him play so far. Sure, preseason, but this is who he is billed as. It's exactly how he's played with the Blues the last few years. We have every reason to believe that he'll be a physical presence in every game.

11 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

With all the talent we have on the wings, Blais can't really play top 6 minutes full time. It would lead to Kreider playing 3rd line and Kravtsov out of the lineup.

Finding a balance where he can slot up in some games, but mainly play on the 4th line will be the key here. There have been games where our skilled players have been taken completely out of the game (especially against Islanders). That's the games where having a guy like Blais in the top 6 will be really useful, but mainly I want to see him, Roons and Reaves/Hunt give us one of the best 4th lines in the league.

There will be injuries and positive covid tests. He's the most likely candidate to slide up.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There will be injuries and positive covid tests. He's the most likely candidate to slide up.

I agree, but I was mainly thinking about with a full and healthy roster.

I would try Krav on Panarin-Strome's wing before Blais if Kakko gets injured.

Laf-Zib-CK

Panarin-Strome-Krav

Goodrow-Chytil-Blais

Hunt-Roons-Reaves

38 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Kreider on that 3rd line, Zuuuuc man.  I think he'd fit better with Chytil and Goodrow there.  I don't really even care about that whole "paying a 3rd liner $6.5 million".  I think he'd fit better there.  Besides, he'll get a lot of PP time as well, so he can rack up some points that way.

We gotta see how it plays out, but I see where you're going.  ?

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like this tried when Kreider slumps:

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Strome Blais

Kreider Chytil Goodrow

As top 9.

might not be Kreider. the delicate situation could be Laf. kid’s gonna have to step it up. 

14 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Yeah even if he never does that again this trade was still a win for the Rangers, but imagine if the kid pots some offense? Is 15g really out of the question?

He had 8 in 36 last year, so it's obviously possible. Especially if he gets ice time with bread and butter, that often results in a few "free" goals.

Just having a 4th liner that I know can produce and have enough skill to beat players one-on-one in the NHL is really exciting. No more McKegg, DiGi, Howden, Lias etc.

16 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It was preseason against the Devils. I think we may be jumping the gun a bit. He did solidify himself into the starting opening day lineup though

What gun? The argument is that he's not a fourth-line plug, but the kind of player with enough underlying skill he'll show from time-to-time (like last night) that moves up the lineup, even to the first line, aren't implausible.