• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Regression Candidate: Sammy Blais

Pete

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I'm committed to them...so fuck it...These guys are my guys.  Lundqvist is a legit player in my eyes.  I'm all in, big fella!  ..and with the depth we have on defense, we're going to be in it for quite a while in my book!

...and the Reaves for 15 campaign begins, baby!!!!!   LOL

Hey @G1000...when Reaves pots number 15 you gotta buy a round for me!!! 

I'm afraid that if I buy you an entire round, you might try and fight Reavo yourself. Let's split the baby and say a nice scotch. Least I owe you for taking the Kakko thunder. 

Also, if Kakko gets nominated for and wins the Selke, we will eat all the gluten in a 30 foot radius of the bar in tribute.

Just now, G1000 said:

I'm afraid that if I buy you an entire round, you might try and fight Reavo yourself. Let's split the baby and say a nice scotch. Least I owe you for taking the Kakko thunder. 

Also, if Kakko gets nominated for and wins the Selke, we will eat all the gluten in a 30 foot radius of the bar in tribute.

You got yourself a deal, my good man!!!

I don't think I'll take on the Reaver just yet!  I'm lucky I can throw a party these days, no less a punch!!  LOL

My days of "dropping the gloves" is now reserved for after shoveling the driveway!!!! 

• LOL 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Phil said:

They disagree. So do I. So would most of us, I'd imagine.

That they're locking these players up long-term literally indicates their long-term thinking.

that's not long term thinking, it's the opposite.  it's "right now" thinking.  In the long term Zibby, Panarin, Kreider will be too old and not worth the cap hit

7 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

If not, we're fucked anyway.

In 4 years Panarin will be 33 and at the end of his contract/career, Kakko, Laf, Fox, Miller, Chytil, Kravtsov, Shesterkin will al be in or entering their prime in the middle/late-20's. Kreids, Mika, Trouba will all be in their 30's with just a few years left in the tank. If they're not competing by then I don't understand when they will.

First window opens now and will be for as long as Panarin is an elite player (probably next 3-5 years). After that I could see a little "re-tool" period of 1-3 years where they need to get rid of the back end of Panarin, Mika, Trouba and Kreids contracts, before they enter the "2nd window" with Kakko, Laf, Shesty, Fox etc. entering their late 20's/early 30's.

you think we're ready to compete now?  starting this season?  

Just now, CCCP said:

that's not long term thinking, it's the opposite.  it's "right now" thinking.  In the long term Zibby, Panarin, Kreider will be too old and not worth the cap hit

In my experience and judging by my understanding of linear time, this is unavoidable.  

What is avoidable, however, is not losing a number of potentially good-to-great years where they are in fact worth the cap hits.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Agree. 

Also completely disagree that they are three or four years away. That would make this a 7-year rebuild...not a chance. 

how long did it take Tampa to win? how about St Lsouis?  Rebuilds dont take 3 years, players you drafted need to mature and get experience.  this takes time.  

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

you think we're ready to compete now?  starting this season?  

I think the expectations from the front office, the team and most of the fans is to win every game at this point.

Now im not saying they should win, or even come close, to winning the stanley cup this season, but at some point the mentality has to change and this off season has been a clear sign that the time has come.

Look at Penguins roster for the home opener, that team sucks. Devils are not very good, neither are Blue Jackets or Flyers. I will be dissapointed if they dont make the playoffs this season so I consider the window open from now yes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CCCP said:

They literally have been signing guys long-term, and you're sitting here telling me they're "right now" thinking?

Zibanejad, EIGHT more years.
Panarin, FIVE more years.
Kreider, SIX more years.
Goodrow, SIX more years.
Trouba, FIVE more years.
Shesterkin, FOUR more years.

Is this real life?

Dave Chapelle What GIF

• LOL 1
  • Applause 2

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

In my experience and judging by my understanding of linear time, this is unavoidable.  

What is avoidable, however, is not losing a number of potentially good-to-great years where they are in fact worth the cap hits.

right, they're worth it now, im not disputing that.  IMO the makeup of this team isnt ready to go all the way.  Players like Miller, lundkvist, Lindgren(im not even sure what to think of him yet, im thinking playing top minutes is way over his head), Laf, Kakks, then Barron and Schneider all need NHL seasoning and playoff experience.  History tells us that no team with half the roster of 20 year olds are going to the finals.  

1 minute ago, Phil said:

They literally have been signing guys long-term, and you're sitting here telling me they're "right now" thinking?

Zibanejad, EIGHT more years.
Panarin, FIVE more years.
Kreider, SIX more years.
Goodrow, SIX more years.
Trouba, FIVE more years.
Shesterkin, FOUR more years.

Is this real life?

Dave Chapelle What GIF

you really not following what im saying at all

5 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think the expectations from the front office, the team and most of the fans is to win every game at this point.

Now im not saying they should win, or even come close, to winning the stanley cup this season, but at some point the mentality has to change and this off season has been a clear sign that the time has come.

Look at Penguins roster for the home opener, that team sucks. Devils are not very good, neither are Blue Jackets or Flyers. I will be dissapointed if they dont make the playoffs this season so I consider the window open from now yes.

so which is it--make the playoffs or compete for the cup?  it's two very different things

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

you really not following what im saying at all

Because what you're saying doesn't flow well enough to follow. Yes, there is a window opening in 4 years with Laf and Kakko and Fox and Miller and so on all in their primes, but there is also a window opening right now with all of those players as the mid-six guys and Zib/Panarin/Strome leading the offense. Ignoring that seems foolish. 

At some point, the mantle gets passed, but there's zero sense in not actually trying to win with the three "in their prime" elite pieces we've already got.

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Because what you're saying doesn't flow well enough to follow. Yes, there is a window opening in 4 years with Laf and Kakko and Fox and Miller and so on all in their primes, but there is also a window opening right now with all of those players as the mid-six guys and Zib/Panarin/Strome leading the offense. Ignoring that seems foolish. 

At some point, the mantle gets passed, but there's zero sense in not actually trying to win with the three "in their prime" elite pieces we've already got.

we had the same three "in their prime" last year and the year before.  how far did we get?  Our defense and overall defensive play isnt there yet.  

they'll compete to make the playoffs IMO, but not for the cup

6 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

When you make the playoff you compete for the cup.

I really think they should make the playoffs (and would be dissapointed if not), hence I think they should be "competing for the cup" ? 

i think the goal should be to make the playoffs and get some experience.  And i think serious chance at being a legit contender would be in 3-4 years.  by that time Zibby and other vets will be past their prime or towards the end of it (best case scenario).  

Just now, CCCP said:

we had the same three "in their prime" last year and the year before.  how far did we get?  Our defense and overall defensive play isnt there yet.  

they'll compete to make the playoffs IMO, but not for the cup

It's a good thing past performance guarantees future outcomes then, I guess.

53 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i think the goal should be to make the playoffs and get some experience.  And i think serious chance at being a legit contender would be in 3-4 years.  by that time Zibby and other vets will be past their prime or towards the end of it (best case scenario).  

Why do you think they will be good enough when the best players on the team starts to get worse? That doesnt make sense.

The idea is create a rolling continued window like Tampa had and continues to have. Realistically they've had a window with different personnel since they beat us in tje semi finals. We have the chance for that hopefully but it starts right now. 

• Like 2