• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

January 28, 2022 - Henrik Lundqvist Night

Morphinity 2.0

haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere so maybe it’s a taboo subject but can’t help but wonder if the decision to retire Hank’s jersey so quickly has to do with the medical issues. I hope he lives to be 100 but maybe the team is putting extra importance on doing this sooner rather than later. 

10 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere so maybe it’s a taboo subject but can’t help but wonder if the decision to retire Hank’s jersey so quickly has to do with the medical issues. I hope he lives to be 100 but maybe the team is putting extra importance on doing this sooner rather than later. 

Idk, probably not... But it's good they're doing it quickly. The fact they waited years for Messier, Richter, Leetch, Graves, Bathgate, Hadfield, Ratelle, and Howell is a joke. 

15 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

I doubt it. They're doing it because you give your audience what they want. The moment Hank announced his retirement, the first, second, third, and fourth thoughts in the minds of every Rangers fan was "when is his number getting retired!?"

45 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

pericarditis, which kept him from playing this season, is not a life threatening issue when identified. It's a toughening of the tissue around the heart, and they typically either remove it or just cut a window in it to give the heart room to continue operation. The issue is that if undetected, it dramatically increases the odds of a heart attack during exertion periods, which leads to death.

Source: my dad had this exact same condition and almost died when I was 14. He's over 70 now and still plays hockey. Henrik will be fine but his NHL days are certainly over. 

• Like 1