• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 NHL Trade Deadline: Presented by 'Mad Money with Jim Cramer'

Phil

Yeah, they'd be more conservative if they only need the single point.

To the contrary, they play conservatively in the third period to preserve ties, knowing that they can go for the win in OT while still getting a point, whereas, if they take risks in a tie game in regulation, they may end up with no points. Statistically, there are far more regulation ties now than pre-2005 (introduction of loser point) and 1983 (introduction of overtime). That's due to conservative play.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the contrary, they play conservatively in the third period to preserve ties, knowing that they can go for the win in OT while still getting a point, whereas, if they take risks in a tie game in regulation, they may end up with no points. Statistically, there are far more regulation ties now than pre-2005 (introduction of loser point) and 1983 (introduction of overtime). That's due to conservative play.

Bingo!!!

Thanks Sod! I couldn't find the stats. :)

I hate 3v3 or the shootout as well. As you say it is gimmicky and to me, not natural hockey(when was the last time you saw 3v3 in a real game?). It becomes a skills competition.

Go 4v4 with two 5 minute sudden death periods for OT. Nobody scores, it’s a tie. And STOP giving a point for regulation ties. Two points awarded for each game, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The extra point disfigures the standings. A game should be a standard value in the standings how ever it ends. OT or the shootout should not make a game worth an extra point. If they want to award an extra point, make a 60 minute regulation with worth 3 points.

Honestly, I'd rather go back to OT just being in the playoffs, and if it's a tie after 60, fuck it...it's a tie. One point apiece.

I'm not a big fan of the gimmicky 3v3 or shootout shit either.

I don’t mind the 3v3, hate shootouts. I agree though, go back to the ties.

Think about it...Last night would've felt so much different if it just ended 2-2. It felt like a loss to the Rangers, who played a great second, and stuck with a tough team in the 3rd to EARN a tie and a point. After the OT it felt like a loss, and even though we still get a point, it's still feeling like we "lost"...because we did!

I just think it's a different feel if both teams get a point, and we go our separate ways.

OT playoffs are better because they're 5v5. The regular season 3v3 is useless, in my opinion because other than deciding a game, it's not like you get any experience for anything like a playoff OT.

Yeah, a few years ago I started turning off games at the end of OT before the shootout (perhaps occasionally I'll stick around for one if the team has made a big comeback, etc). To me that's where the game ends. Haven't watched a shootout live in quite a while. Sure I'll check the "final score" 10-15 minutes thereafter but I loathe the shootouts at this point.

On what? It's going to have to be banked to sign Zibanejad and what ever kids are coming up on their 2nd contracts. Time to lock up Fox and Buch. That space is gone right there.

The kids, Fox and Buch will be RFA status, so that's somewhat "cost controlled"...I'd think Buch is also headed for arbitration this season.

I also don't think those kids are breaking the bank when the time comes....

Let's see what Zibby does next season, because he didn't exactly UP his value much this year.

The contracts we need to unload are Trouba's and Kreider's. That would be a massive bonus. I believe that their NMC's become MODIFIED NMC's after a number of years, I just don't know what season that is.

Phil, Josh or RG may know that one.

TSN TradeCenter is reporting that Sam Bennett is headed to the Panthers, nothing about what Calgary will get back yet.

Here it is Sharpy:

Calgary Flames: 2022 second-round pick, Emil Heineman

Florida Panthers: Sam Bennett, 2022 sixth-round pick

Here it is Sharpy:

Calgary Flames: 2022 second-round pick, Emil Heineman

Florida Panthers: Sam Bennett, 2022 sixth-round pick

Damn. If only the Rangers needed a middle 6 center. Bennett will turn it around where ever he lands and should continue being a playoff performer. If we don't make it, I think I'm rooting for Florida or Toronto in the playoffs.

Damn. If only the Rangers needed a middle 6 center. Bennett will turn it around where ever he lands and should continue being a playoff performer. If we don't make it, I think I'm rooting for Florida or Toronto in the playoffs.

Florida in the east. Colorado in the west.

The kids, Fox and Buch will be RFA status, so that's somewhat "cost controlled"...I'd think Buch is also headed for arbitration this season.

I also don't think those kids are breaking the bank when the time comes....

Let's see what Zibby does next season, because he didn't exactly UP his value much this year.

The contracts we need to unload are Trouba's and Kreider's. That would be a massive bonus. I believe that their NMC's become MODIFIED NMC's after a number of years, I just don't know what season that is.

Phil, Josh or RG may know that one.

So... like I said. Same team. Cap space is going to go to what's here. The names we will spend it on are worthy of it. As long as Buch doesn't crack the 5 million mark, I'm happy.