• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Likely to Recall Vitali Kravtsov in Near Future

Phil

Totally agree. We lucked out on Strome thankfully. He fills that second line center role as well as anyone. I just hope the young talent up front starts to really kick it up a notch and we can start competing next year, at least for a playoff spot.

There's still a lot of housekeeping to do as well, JSM.

They have $9 million in dead cap come off the books after this season, as well as Brendan Smith's $4.35 million, which they're going to most likely use for our controlled RFA's. Probably going to make a few moves at the deadline to free up some more cap, and sort out a few player positions.

I'm looking forward to see what goes down on April 12. I have a sneaky suspicion we have something up our sleeve! ;)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's still a lot of housekeeping to do as well, JSM.

They have $9 million in dead cap come off the books after this season, as well as Brendan Smith's $4.35 million, which they're going to most likely use for our controlled RFA's. Probably going to make a few moves at the deadline to free up some more cap, and sort out a few player positions.

I'm looking forward to see what goes down on April 12. I have a sneaky suspicion we have something up our sleeve! ;)

I have a feeling Eichel will be here at some point whether it's the trade deadline or in the offseason. I also am worried that Gorton is going to heavily overpay. lol

The Rangers have a tremendous obstacle in regards to forward prospect development.

They have a large number of established high end forwards along with the number of top forward prospects that are "NHL ready". How many teams draft forwards 2OA and then 1OA in back to back seasons while already having top forwards like Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Strome, and Buchnevich on the roster? That's arguably five of the top six forward spots accounted for. Add Chytil to that mix and we see the challenge Quinn has faced in delegating ice time. There are three remaining slots for top 9 forwards with Laf, Kakko, and now Kravtsov. While the math of those remaining spots works, we've seen the struggle Laf and Kakko have had producing while playing with and behind those other forwards. Both are averaging around 14:00/game which is typical of third line minutes for players who don't kill penalties.

Now we want to add Kravtsov to the mix and the challenge increases. Even if you balance perfectly, you at best end up with one line with two very inexperienced players. If chemistry doesn't work perfectly, you're stuck either with a kid line, which is definitely going to be a third line and mean lower ice time, or one of your young forwards ends up on the fourth line.

Could a very experienced NHL head coach handle this mix better? Perhaps. Maybe they would sacrifice short term success by playing Kreider or Buchnevich less to get Laf and Kakko more involved offensively. But I can't think of another NHL team recently that rebuilt their roster in this way. I look at a team like Toronto, they Had Matthews, Marner, and Nylander come in to be the top three forwards. They were supported by the likes of Kadri, Van Riemsdyk, and old Patrick Marleau. After those young players broke through, then they added Tavares. A much different situation than the Rangers are in.

If you could go back in time knowing you're getting those lottery wins, maybe you don't sign Panarin or re-sign Kreider. But here we are.

I have a feeling Eichel will be here at some point whether it's the trade deadline or in the offseason. I also am worried that Gorton is going to heavily overpay. lol

Yeah, I agree, man!! I kinda hope we wait that one out and do something similar to the Nash trade.

Kaprizov was drafted in 2016 and is a rookie at 23.

Wahlstrom was drafted after Kravtsov and just entered the league.

Rangers fans really don't have patience LOL.

Disagree. The top 20 picks of that 18 draft have seen only two players not play at least some time in the NHL yet, Kravtsov being one of them. Of those top 20 picks, 9 of them have played over 50 games. Just saying, I think it he fanbase been patient. Nothing wrong with getting to see the kid for a while now.

• Like 1

Disagree. The top 20 picks of that 18 draft have seen only two players not play at least some time in the NHL yet, Kravtsov being one of them. Of those top 20 picks, 9 of them have played over 50 games. Just saying, I think it he fanbase been patient. Nothing wrong with getting to see the kid for a while now.

I think it's important to consider some level of context with that, though.

18 have played games (exceptions being Kravtsov and Jay O'Brien).

Prior to this season, only 10 had played games.

Of those 10, only 7 had received more than "the cup of coffee"

Of the first round picks yet to make their NHL debut:

4 were drafted from overseas, three of whom made the conscious decision to finish out their pro seasons in their home countries before coming to their NHL teams, two of whom are Rangers picks (Kravtsov and Lundkvist)

The remaining players are all in the AHL, with the exception of Jay O'Brien and Jacob Bernard-Docker, who are in the NCAA.

Real long way of saying that this is the "right" year to be seeing NHL contributions from Kravtsov - we've been appropriately patient, but should probably have our expectations calibrated some to think it'll be instant. He'll probably look a good deal like Zadina does for Detroit, or like Wahlstrom does for the Islanders.

I think it's important to consider some level of context with that, though.

18 have played games (exceptions being Kravtsov and Jay O'Brien).

Prior to this season, only 10 had played games.

Of those 10, only 7 had received more than "the cup of coffee"

Of the first round picks yet to make their NHL debut:

4 were drafted from overseas, three of whom made the conscious decision to finish out their pro seasons in their home countries before coming to their NHL teams, two of whom are Rangers picks (Kravtsov and Lundkvist)

The remaining players are all in the AHL, with the exception of Jay O'Brien and Jacob Bernard-Docker, who are in the NCAA.

Real long way of saying that this is the "right" year to be seeing NHL contributions from Kravtsov - we've been appropriately patient, but should probably have our expectations calibrated some to think it'll be instant. He'll probably look a good deal like Zadina does for Detroit, or like Wahlstrom does for the Islanders.

I think the important part of it is that ever since the Rangers drafted Kravtsov they did say he was high end talent but more of a project. And he was set to go in the 20s, not 10 where the Rangers took him. However, just the point is a lot of other players from the same draft have gotten at least a cup of coffee. I think the fan base and organization has been pretty patient. He's here though and it's time. At least to get an NHL look with important off season decisions to be made. I'm not arguing that he should be in his third nhl season. Just that we have shown patience so there is no reason he can't get that nhl look now.

I think the important part of it is that ever since the Rangers drafted Kravtsov they did say he was high end talent but more of a project. And he was set to go in the 20s, not 10 where the Rangers took him. However, just the point is a lot of other players from the same draft have gotten at least a cup of coffee. I think the fan base and organization has been pretty patient. He's here though and it's time. At least to get an NHL look with important off season decisions to be made. I'm not arguing that he should be in his third nhl season. Just that we have shown patience so there is no reason he can't get that nhl look now.

They did it with Chytil.

No chance Kravtsov comes in and plays worse hockey than current Chytil. And that's not a knock on Chytil, who is in his 4th pro hockey season.

Also, pandemic.

Had there been a normal offseason with training camp and a preseason Kravtsov would have been there. With uncertainty around if/when the season would start, they let him go to the KHL so he could play.

They did it with Chytil.

No chance Kravtsov comes in and plays worse hockey than current Chytil. And that's not a knock on Chytil, who is in his 4th pro hockey season.

I think Chytil needs to be knocked. He looks bad. Laffreinere scored only when Chytil wasn't centering his line on Sunday.