• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trading Panarin?

38 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Give Laf some credit.

He’s improved on his own.

If he got PP time, he’d have 30 points right now, and we’d be staring down the barrel of the point per game player we all wanted. 

Yes… Panarin has helped.

Hes also helped Panarin. 

I don't really agree with anything you're saying here other than him getting his skating better.

I don't want to speculate on how many points he might have if he was doing something he's not doing. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle and all that. 

What I will say is that he is making the most of the numerous opportunities Panarin is giving him. He certainly not shitting the bed here. 

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They said all the regular season nonsense about Yzerman too.

Great scorer. Can put up droves of points in regular season. Doesn’t do it when it matters. Regular season doesn’t mean anything.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

You still have to get there.

Eventually he figured it out.

Bingo. And Yzerman is the guy I pointed to directly when the talking point was "You can't change anything after 30, you are what you are, etc." 

48 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They said all the regular season nonsense about Yzerman too.

Great scorer. Can put up droves of points in regular season. Doesn’t do it when it matters. Regular season doesn’t mean anything.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

You still have to get there.

Eventually he figured it out.

I remember the Yzerman discussion because there were too many counterpoints to the argument that made it dissimilar. They significantly altered their top 6 by trading for a HOFer in his prime in Brendan Shanahan. Even if we ignore that, typically if you have to go back 30 years to find an example of something, it’s not going to be a good argument backed by good odds of happening.

47 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I remember the Yzerman discussion because there were too many counterpoints to the argument that made it dissimilar. They significantly altered their top 6 by trading for a HOFer in his prime in Brendan Shanahan. Even if we ignore that, typically if you have to go back 30 years to find an example of something, it’s not going to be a good argument backed by good odds of happening.

Ok

Ovechkin then

It’s also a team sport

Edited by RangersIn7

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

32 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Ok

Ovechkin then

It’s also a team sport

Auston Matthews. 

"These aren't good examples because they completely blow up my narrative". 

Look, any player who adjusts his game at any point in their career is a good example. We don't need all the stars to align and all the criteria to be carbon copy. He saw what he was doing wrong, he made a change. For some players it's not shooting enough, for some players it's not being defensively responsible, and the player that makes a change evolves and therefore the example applies. 

What Panarin is doing is nothing short of breath taking this year. It's a step up from even his first Covid shortened year which already was elite plus. Having said that, there is really nothing wrong with reserving a bit of judgement to see how he performs this postseason. Some likely still have a little Rick Nash nightmares on their mind where our cup window was a bit hindered by his inability to take over postseason games, namely 13/14 and 14/15.  I think we all realize that cup windows aren't always as long as we would like them to be, so when opportunities pass us by, we just hope the next one isn't a roster flip away. 

Sometimes I feel like we are so focused on trying to show how right we are that we forget that others aren't so wrong either.  Either way, Panarin is on his way to hopefully paving his way into Rangers lore. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • 'Merica! 1
  • Applause 1

10 hours ago, Pete said:

"These aren't good examples because they completely blow up my narrative". 

Look, any player who adjusts his game at any point in their career is a good example. We don't need all the stars to align and all the criteria to be carbon copy. He saw what he was doing wrong, he made a change. For some players it's not shooting enough, for some players it's not being defensively responsible, and the player that makes a change evolves and therefore the example applies. 

That and there are countless examples all over the sporting world.

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

What Panarin is doing is nothing short of breath taking this year. It's a step up from even his first Covid shortened year which already was elite plus. Having said that, there is really nothing wrong with reserving a bit of judgement to see how he performs this postseason. Some likely still have a little Rick Nash nightmares on their mind where our cup window was a bit hindered by his inability to take over postseason games, namely 13/14 and 14/15.  I think we all realize that cup windows aren't always as long as we would like them to be, so when opportunities pass us by, we just hope the next one isn't a roster flip away. 

Sometimes I feel like we are so focused on trying to show how right we are that we forget that others aren't so wrong either.  Either way, Panarin is on his way to hopefully paving his way into Rangers lore. 

They will absolutely need Panarin amongst others to be very good come this spring. No doubt of that.

Also, no issue with reserving full judgment until we see full results.

That said, what we are seeing now from him is arguably if not probably the best hockey if his already accomplished career.

That has to be very encouraging 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Wish our top paid player would carry the team when the rest of the crew sucks.

Happy Wednesday

Yea. Like the hat trick he put up vs Tampa.

• BREAD! 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are close to having to revisit this thread soon.

10/12 -> 11/18: 142 point pace, +5 #Hartemi

11/20 -> Today: 99 point pace, -9 #Shartemi

He's still pacing for 113 points on the season, but it's been steadily declining for the last 2 months. Right now I'd wager that he finishes under triple digits. Despite being 13th in the NHL with 34 ES points, he's a -4. He's never been a minus player in his career, and this is a bad indication that the flash has been distracting us like a light to a fly. Giving up more goals than he's generating isn't a winning strategy. I hope he plans to shave his head again before the playoffs.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

We are close to having to revisit this thread soon.

10/12 -> 11/18: 142 point pace, +5 #Hartemi

11/20 -> Today: 99 point pace, -9 #Shartemi

He's still pacing for 113 points on the season, but it's been steadily declining for the last 2 months. Right now I'd wager that he finishes under triple digits. Despite being 13th in the NHL with 34 ES points, he's a -4. He's never been a minus player in his career, and this is a bad indication that the flash has been distracting us like a light to a fly. Giving up more goals than he's generating isn't a winning strategy. I hope he plans to shave his head again before the playoffs.

Made me laugh.

He's definitely been shooting less and less dynamic than the outset BUT he's still been great. I'll say he finishes with 102 points.