• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Official Fire Quinn Thread

Recall as CBJ's club president in 2015 JD had no problem canning a failing coach, Todd Richards, off an 0-7 start to bring in Tortarella 6 games into a season. Torts would finish 1 game over .500 but would not get to the playoffs and overcome that shit start. Question is does he think Gallant (or someone less obvious) would be that kind of jolt enough, or does he want to let Gorton's coach ride this mess out longer than that. Quinn is Gorton's choice. JD has no real allegiance to him. Remember Gorton circled back to Quinn after Quinn turned him down the first time. So were they to send him packing, makes Gorton look a bit foolish.

Either way, the braintrust has to be very displeased with the lack of compete. It's not like they're losing puck battles, they're barely in them. They dump and don't chase. They continually pass around the outside when opposing teams know they're gonna do it and let it happen, because sooner rather than later a pass is going awry.

Either you start making trades or ...you fire the coach. That is if things don't straighten out ASAP.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the schedule and given our general compete level, I'm starting to wonder if he makes it to Valentines Day. This schedule isn't getting easier, and it's entirely possible we're more than 10 points off the playoff pace by next Monday.

For a team this talented to be this random on a period-to-period basis is simply inexplicable.

I don't like any of the available coaches out there. I still think it's best to stay the course with what we've got. I'm not saying a ton of you guys aren't making great points....you are, but I'd like to see more, and give Quinn at least the chance to finish the season.

It's a shortened season anyway, and I really think the Rangers are going to turn this thing around and catch fire.

They looked pretty damn good against the Islanders in game #2. The Islanders got eliminated by the eventual Stanley Cup Champs...and they still have a pretty damn good team. We can do this! ....Just hang in there, guys...it's just around the corner!

I'm a big fan of "Dance with the chick you brought to the party"!!! :rofl:

In 2017-18, we opened 3-7-2 and it looked to everyone like AV would be fired if we lost the next game. The team pulled together and beat Vegas (with a rally if I remember correctly) and AV was saved, at least for the rest of the season. If we lose a couple more, I can see a game where everyone basically knows that it is win or the coach is gone. If it comes to that, it will be interesting to see how the team reacts.

Renney was fired after a 2-5-3 ten-game stretch. That was in an 82-game season. Prorate for 56 games, and what does that look like? Probably a lot like their current record, minus another listless loss or two.

Tom Renny was coaching a much much different team. There were high expectations for his teams at that point.

Tom Renny was coaching a much much different team. There were high expectations for his teams at that point.

I get that. No comparison will be an identical apples-to-apples one. But a skid is a skid is a skid. Fall far enough fast enough, and in this fashion, this many years in, and it's hard to buy the arguments of "they're still building." Building implies progress.

Pack coach is outstanidng IMO and absolutely deserves the job. Kakko has a howitzer for a shot and like Zibanejad is great at one timing it. The fact that he isn't on the PP on the right side and Zibanejad on the left side one timing it shows Quinn's massive incompetence. Panarin for all his skill sucks at one timing it but Quinn has him doing it. Also, putting Fox out over DeAngelo on the PP is moronic. One, he's not as good. Two, unless Quinn is a moron, he should know that they will try to trade DeAngelo and not keeping his value up is beyond stupid. Plus, he changes lines all the time. That's a sign of a coach that is about to get canned.

I get that. No comparison will be an identical apples-to-apples one. But a skid is a skid is a skid. Fall far enough fast enough, and in this fashion, this many years in, and it's hard to buy the arguments of "they're still building." Building implies progress.

Every year the leafs lose they say they're still building so... It's possible to push that idea pretty damn far lol.

I know what you're saying but JD has preached patience. He's stated from the beginning that there will be setbacks. If anyone's going to remain calm and ride out the storm, it's him. It just comes down to how JD and Gorton think DQ is handling things.

Every year the leafs lose they say they're still building so... It's possible to push that idea pretty damn far lol.

I know what you're saying but JD has preached patience. He's stated from the beginning that there will be setbacks. If anyone's going to remain calm and ride out the storm, it's him. It just comes down to how JD and Gorton think DQ is handling things.

I mean, yes, but based on this current pace, this would be more than a "set back" IMO — it would be a catastrophic failure. You're not just talking about a competitive team missing the playoffs, you're talking about a team that just invested hundreds of millions of dollars in Trouba, Kreider, and Panarin, that has the respective second- and first-overall picks playing on their roster, that just bought out the final year of Henrik Lundqvist's contract because the new era of Rangers' goaltending was here, missing by miles. That's not "ride out the storm" territory. It's nuke the monster before it kills everyone territory.

• Like 1

It's not even just about being patient. It's about having realistic expectations and at some point taking the kid gloves off and holding some responsibility. Last year we were awarded a playoff spot when we were right there. Those were words i belive DQ said, "Right there."

We've take a major step back. But not just a step back, but a step into what we looked like back early last year where we would win 2, lose 3, win 2 lose 4 type of yo-yo. We thought we turned a corner with that late February display that was mostly positive then sputtered into early March back to y-yo'ing. This is supposed to be turning the corner on that behavior, not looking like the same lost team one day and lights out another. I don't even want to hear those excuses anymore about covid, no fans, no training camp, etc. It's an even playing field for everyone. We look like the Ottawa Senators out there and they would KILL for our roster. KILL. I'm not going to go out and say we are a Ferrari of a team or anything but we certainly have a lot of looks of a high end sports car being driving by someone that just got their learners permit.

First of all, Hank and Staal were not "run out of town." They sucked pretty bad and have for the last few years. Their careers are over at this point.

But this team was going to miss the playoffs this year, no matter what. Division is way too hard. I think that's a pretty honest assessment. It's not make or break, and in fact JD has said over and over again that throughout this process there are setbacks. Two steps forward, one step back kind of thing. "It's a process."

So far this season feels like the step back we were all hoping didn't exist, but inevitably always does.

I don't blame Gorton for hiring Quinn. I think Quinn has done a good job. This team had no business being as good as they were last year. But they lucked into two top-end prospects and they need to treat them as such. I'm sure they never planned on that, but the plan has changed. Lafreniere and Kakko are the next faces of the Rangers franchise. Not Panarin. Not Zibanejad. Not Fox. Shesterkin. Miller, etc. Kakko and Lafreniere are the two players opposing teams will have to game plan for. Mackinnon and Rantanen. Marner and Matthews. But the Rangers don't seem to recognize that because they think they're better than they are.

All those guys mentioned were basically handed the keys to their respective teams. They were on the ice when they needed a goal. On the ice when they needed a stop. On the PP. On with an extra skater. That's how those guys learned to play the game. Even if they failed, they were the best players on the team so they just continued to go out and learn.

The Rangers are SO LUCKY to have Lafreniere. I know Kreider just signed, but I'm sorry, he's a 3rd liner on this team now. Lafreniere should be on the 1st line with Zibanejad.

Rangers are LUCKY to have Kakko. He should be on the 2nd line. With Panarin.

Give. These. Kids. A. Chance. Let them make mistakes. That's part of the deal. I know the Rangers want to "win now" but the plan has changed with these two prospects.

Exactly. This isn't a real season to begin with, between the fewer games and the reorganization of divisions, whoever wins the cup will likely have an asterisk next to their name. Let the kids play as much as possible, let them learn and take their lumps against NHL level talent, they'll gain a lot more from it as opposed to playing limited minutes or playing in Hartford. Write the season off and get the kids experience, play around with line combos and see what works and what doesn't without the pressure of making the playoffs/winning a cup. If we're lucky to have a legit season next year, all this experience and experimenting will come into play and if things STILL don't look good, then take a look at moving Quinn out....

You can probably lump me in with Phil, as I'm pretty ambivalent as far as Quinn goes, but holy fuck, in a cap league, I'd probably want to leverage my financial muscle by hiring a proven, top tier coach, not gamble on a guy with no track record, just because he has strong character and principles and blah blah blah.

Pat Burns was an asshole

Scotty Bowman is an asshole

Marc Crawford is an asshole

Mike Babcock is an asshole

Mike Keenan is an asshole

John Tortorella is an asshole

It's OK to hire an asshole.

Coaches matter in this league, it's not quite football, but it's a long way from baseball. Just look at what guys like Julien and Trotz can accomplish with literally nothing. It fucking matters.

• Like 1

Recall as CBJ's club president in 2015 JD had no problem canning a failing coach, Todd Richards, off an 0-7 start to bring in Tortarella 6 games into a season. Torts would finish 1 game over .500 but would not get to the playoffs and overcome that shit start. Question is does he think Gallant (or someone less obvious) would be that kind of jolt enough, or does he want to let Gorton's coach ride this mess out longer than that. Quinn is Gorton's choice. JD has no real allegiance to him. Remember Gorton circled back to Quinn after Quinn turned him down the first time. So were they to send him packing, makes Gorton look a bit foolish.

Either way, the braintrust has to be very displeased with the lack of compete. It's not like they're losing puck battles, they're barely in them. They dump and don't chase. They continually pass around the outside when opposing teams know they're gonna do it and let it happen, because sooner rather than later a pass is going awry.

Either you start making trades or ...you fire the coach. That is if things don't straighten out ASAP.

Yes I read something yesterday around this and basically the major reason the record was so piss poor at that time was the goaltending was atrocious absolutely brutal. The article below touches on the goaltending but the other I was referring to hammered on it, can't find it right now. I'm starting to hope JD has the same short fuse here if Quinn continues to show he can only ice a flat team more often than not.

https://www.tsn.ca/blue-jackets-fire-richards-hire-tortorella-1.380172?tsn-amp

You can probably lump me in with Phil, as I'm pretty ambivalent as far as Quinn goes, but holy fuck, in a cap league, I'd probably want to leverage my financial muscle by hiring a proven, top tier coach, not gamble on a guy with no track record, just because he has strong character and principles and blah blah blah.

Pat Burns was an asshole

Coaches matter in this league, it's not quite football, but it's a long way from baseball. Just look at what guys like Julien and Trotz can accomplish with literally nothing. It fucking matters.

Aside from torts and Bowman, there's nobody on that list who could coach in the NHL today.

You forgot absolutely terrific fucking hair..

After watching another 30 minutes of absolute shit, I hope I've woefully misread the room on how JD and Gorton feel about DQ- he's an empty suit.

Pat Burns was an asshole

I don't think they have any problem paying a premium for a top-tier coach. They paid AV like $5 million a year. But I'd 100% be in the market for an established coach.

Pat Burns was an asshole

I’ll translate. Dunny wants Babcock. And I’d have no problem with it. After his last stint and a little mud slung on him, he’s a coach that accomplished everything with something new to prove.