• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 NHL Entry Draft: Lafreniere SZN — 7:00 PM EST, NBCSN

Phil

Who cares that it was the Devils we felt we needed to jump? We will never know for sure, but it has been widely speculated that Schneider was the Devils pick. If you know that information and like Schneider you have to make the move. Schneider may have been our targeted pick at #22 all along.
I don't know. Why don't you ask the people saying it's "better because the Devils wanted him". A few folks in this thread have said that, which is what I responded to. Go take it up with them.

Cherry picking situations from the past that you think apply to the current situation is really meaningless. Gorton and JD know what they are doing and were privy to a lot more information than any of us will ever be.
Cool, I'll make sure to keep this receipt next time you disagree with a decision they made.

Maybe mods should just shut the board down, by that logic?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should really be end of story. Maybe it was a little high, but it wasn't a reach by any means.

It's not that they took him out of place. He was always going in the first round. It's that they traded up to get him, giving up a second third-rounder. I get that that's not great draft strategy, but the negative impact is likely to be minuscule.

Right. And to anyone saying "He'd have been there in the second." We don't know that. Both the Devils and Avalanche reached on their defensemen. Either could've been compensating because they lost their man in Schneider.

This is an especially weak draft for defensemen. The Rangers saw their man and got him. I'm okay with that especially given how well they've scouted defensemen of late. There's still a significant crop of talented forwards left. Acquire a 2nd or another 3rd and you can get one of them.

Who said that? We don't even have a second. That's not the point.

I think the issue is that a team loaded at D already, traded to move up, to take another D, when there was a ton of much needed forward talent there. Organizationally, you could argue forward talent (not "depth") is a need over defense.

Like I said, I'm sure we'll al be happy with the player, outside of the circumstance.

It's not that they took him out of place. He was always going in the first round. It's that they traded up to get him, giving up a second third-rounder. I get that that's not great draft strategy, but the negative impact is likely to be minuscule.

Agreed. GM's find ways to get intel what other teams are intending to pick and they might've gotten wind of a team between 19-21 (not necessarily even the Devils, which people seem fixated on for some reason) planning to take him and clearly they had positive scouting reports on this player and made a decisive move to acquire him. Good move in my opinion, rather than staying passive and waiting to see what falls into their lap.

Agreed. GM's find ways to get intel what other teams are intending to pick and they might've gotten wind of a team between 19-21 (not necessarily even the Devils, which people seem fixated on for some reason) planning to take him and clearly they had positive scouting reports on this player and made a decisive move to acquire him. Good move in my opinion, rather than staying passive and waiting to see what falls into their lap.

That's still not an issue. As Rangers fans, sure, it's fun to "steal a pick" from the Devils, but based purely on talent level and scouting projections, Schneider wasn't a reach. Trading up to get him, might have been, but it's still mild.

That's still not an issue. As Rangers fans, sure, it's fun to "steal a pick" from the Devils, but based purely on talent level and scouting projections, Schneider wasn't a reach. Trading up to get him, might have been, but it's still mild.

Agree. Like, if they traded up to take a goalie because the goalie was ranked as the BPA in that spot...I'd still have an issue with it because of organizational depth at G.

That said, D are always easy to move, so an asset is an asset.

I don't know. Why don't you ask the people saying it's "better because the Devils wanted him". A few folks in this thread have said that, which is what I responded to. Go take it up with them.

Cool, I'll make sure to keep this receipt next time you disagree with a decision they made.

Maybe mods should just shut the board down, by that logic?

You missed the point. As armchair QBs we can all disagree with decisions. Your logic of saying moving up at some point previously and it didn’t work out is absolutely meaningless in terms of this discussion.

The Rangers ranked Schneider very highly. After the Devils missed out on D guys at #7 it was fairly obvious they would be interested in the last of the four D guys that were considered first rounders. It would have been irresponsible by Gorton and JD not to make an attempt to move up and get their guy. I think we all saw that in the Reaction from JD.

The point of saying other teams then passed on other players that some of us armchair QBs thought should be taken because they happened to play C is that there were no sure fire players available at that point in the draft. A recipe for disaster is taking players you don’t rank as highly because they happen to play a position of need. Whoever we took probably won’t be in the discussion for 2 or 3 years.

btw for what it is worth, I had Devils fans texting me saying we stole their guy. Again, stealing any other team’s guy is meaningless unless you have him ranked very highly. It is what fans do.

Agree. Like, if they traded up to take a goalie because the goalie was ranked as the BPA in that spot...I'd still have an issue with it because of organizational depth at G.

That said, D are always easy to move, so an asset is an asset.

Yeah, I mean, trading up in general is usually not in your best interest. Drafts are like lotteries, so the more tickets you have, the better your chances of hitting.

ALWAYS go BPA.. if they had him with a really high grade, and knew NJ would grab him, I have no issue with it.. I see the need at C and or F, but staying true to the board they have is a strategy I won;t quibble with.. Kid may suck, but their process doesn't
  • Like 1

Let's be honest. Most fans only know Bob McKenzie's draft rankings - which are based on the average of only 10 team's rankings.

This idea that they "reached" for Schneider is just not knowing how the draft works.

• Like 1

You missed the point. As armchair QBs we can all disagree with decisions. Your logic of saying moving up at some point previously and it didn’t work out is absolutely meaningless in terms of this discussion.

The Rangers ranked Schneider very highly. After the Devils missed out on D guys at #7 it was fairly obvious they would be interested in the last of the four D guys that were considered first rounders. It would have been irresponsible by Gorton and JD not to make an attempt to move up and get their guy. I think we all saw that in the Reaction from JD.

The point of saying other teams then passed on other players that some of us armchair QBs thought should be taken because they happened to play C is that there were no sure fire players available at that point in the draft. A recipe for disaster is taking players you don’t rank as highly because they happen to play a position of need. Whoever we took probably won’t be in the discussion for 2 or 3 years.

btw for what it is worth, I had Devils fans texting me saying we stole their guy. Again, stealing any other team’s guy is meaningless unless you have him ranked very highly. It is what fans do.

You're having an argument with yourself. What I said is that the Rangers made this pick because he's a guy they wanted, you don't pick guys to keep them from other teams because when you do...Sanguenetti/Giroux.

Let's be honest. Most fans only know Bob McKenzie's draft rankings - which are based on the average of only 10 team's rankings.

This idea that they "reached" for Schneider is just not knowing how the draft works.

It's also driven, largely, by the consensus mock drafts that get concocted on Twitter. When teams pick someone who even slightly bucks their ideas, they get their collective back up about it.

That same group, for example, ripped Lindgren being in the Nash trade as an indictment of the team favoring "character" over talent.

Schneider sounds a lot to me like Michael Sauer. If he's even 75% of that player, that's a massive win. I firmly believe that the Sauer injury (combined with the McIlrath pick over Tarasenko...how many HUGE games did we desperately need that one goal from a stud, and how many big names did we chase in free agency and trades to try to find it) cost us a Cup. Sauer made every defenseman he played with better. And being able to skate, handle the puck and play with an edge was immensely valuable. Like I said last night, happy they moved up to get him (consensus best dman still available) and I'm still happy with the pick now that Lafreniere excitement has worn off.
  • Like 1

You're having an argument with yourself. What I said is that the Rangers made this pick because he's a guy they wanted, you don't pick guys to keep them from other teams because when you do...Sanguenetti/Giroux.

What you said was the Rangers should not have moved up because it didn’t work out a previous time when they moved up.

Glad we agree that he was BPA on the Rangers board and we liked him well enough to make the small jump. You can never have too many good players.

I have to admit, this is the first time in a VERY long time that I feel this pumped about this team, and where we're headed. I feel like the management has a great feel, and a true planned direction, and as Keirik always says "staying the course". I'm willing to accept the growing pains as a trade off to seek our destination.

I'm starting to see that this is not just building a team to win a Cup, but a rebuilding into a much more powerful franchise, packed with talent, for MANY years to come.

• Like 1

I have to admit, this is the first time in a VERY long time that I feel this pumped about this team, and where we're headed. I feel like the management has a great feel, and a true planned direction, and as Keirik always says "staying the course". I'm willing to accept the growing pains as a trade off to seek our destination.

I'm starting to see that this is not just building a team to win a Cup, but a rebuilding into a much more powerful franchise, packed with talent, for MANY years to come.

100%. They're not building for one run at the cup. They're building (hopefully) the next Washington Caps team. Or Boston Bruins. A team that has a shot at winning every year for 15 straight years. Because it's really fucking hard to pull it off. Giving yourself more than one shot is hugely important.

100%. They're not building for one run at the cup. They're building (hopefully) the next Washington Caps team. Or Boston Bruins. A team that has a shot at winning every year for 15 straight years. Because it's really fucking hard to pull it off. Giving yourself more than one shot is hugely important.

Yes. There's potential here to have a much bigger window for a championship (or championships) than during the Lundqvist Era. Another team other than Washington and Boston would be the Blackhawks.

I need to see these moves all work out and for them to get there and then stay there before I count my chickens. I think there's still some potential for some of them to backfire and/or not work out which could derail our rise to the top. Getting Alexis is certainly a great piece to luck into no doubt about that. But there's still a lot of holes to fill and some guys are still question marks and some contracts could turn into landmines over time which could come back to bite them. I still don't know what we have in Kakko, Chytil, Howden, left side D, Strome (bottom six in general) when it comes to building this perennial contender we all want.

I need to see these moves all work out and for them to get there and then stay there before I count my chickens. I think there's still some potential for some of them to backfire and/or not work out which could derail our rise to the top. Getting Alexis is certainly a great piece to luck into no doubt about that. But there's still a lot of holes to fill and some guys are still question marks and some contracts could turn into landmines over time which could come back to bite them. I still don't know what we have in Kakko, Chytil, Howden, left side D, Strome (bottom six in general) when it comes to building this perennial contender we all want.

Chances are that all of them won't work out, JS. That's really the point and a reality of it all. Injuries, contracts, flat caps and contract situations (among others) are all are leading contributors to the fact that not everything is going to be a golden road to the promised land. I think that's why it's extremely important to stock the shelves with as much talent as possible. (lottery tickets, as Phil put it best).

Some of these players are not going to work out, but if we keep our salary cap smart, develop talent well, and research our trades, and other moves well, the Rangers can maximize their potential going forward. I really feel like this franchise now finally has a good handle on where we need to go and how to get there.

It's going to be a wild ride, so fasten your seat belt, my man!!!! ...but we'll get there! :thumbs:

cant disagree with anything you said. but there is clearly a strategy that's being implemented and that's what makes it so fun to watch. i'm seeing many teams potentially helping themselves as well which tells me even if everything we do works out its still going to be damn hard to lift that 35 lbs of silver.

loved the strategy that lead to 94 but that was nothing more than stockpiling the edmonton dynasty. first time in my 53 years i've seen the rangers act like this and i'm on board. good karma here.