• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Andersson Facing Uncertain Future as Rangers Get Healthy

Phil

OK, call me when the cortex is lobed. Then we can decide if his corsi was fenwick close.
Who do we pick at 7 in that draft that changes the game this quickly into their career? Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier aren't world beaters, even with top line minutes. If Lias gets to 40 or around 40 like they did this season that's big for us and him.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who do we pick at 7 in that draft that changes the game this quickly into their career? Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier aren't world beaters, even with top line minutes. If Lias gets to 40 or around 40 like they did this season that's big for us and him.

Read back. I already said it was a shit draft.

He's not even going to sniff 40 points this year.

The hope has to be that, after the deadline - in 24 games or whatever - he ends up at a .5ppg pace and plays 16-17:00 per night.

I've been reserving judgement on him but I have not been impressed by much of what he's done. I think the most disappointing thing that I've noticed is the lack of effort in the backcheck/defensive end. When everyone was getting excited about him throwing his WJ's silver medal into the stands and calling it him not being satisfied with 2nd place maybe it was more him being a petulant child that doesn't want to put in the necessary work?

I've been reserving judgement on him but I have not been impressed by much of what he's done. I think the most disappointing thing that I've noticed is the lack of effort in the backcheck/defensive end. When everyone was getting excited about him throwing his WJ's silver medal into the stands and calling it him not being satisfied with 2nd place maybe it was more him being a petulant child that doesn't want to put in the necessary work?

I haven’t seen that at all. I’ve seen a guy that works hard, wins a few battles and bar some rookie mistakes does good work off the puck. I’ve also seen a player that doesn’t have the skill and dynamism to drive play on his own with average to poor line mates.

Let’s be honest, if lack of effort was an issue he wouldn’t be on the team. Quinn wouldn’t accept that for a second.

I haven?t seen that at all. I?ve seen a guy that works hard, wins a few battles and bar some rookie mistakes does good work off the puck. I?ve also seen a player that doesn?t have the skill and dynamism to drive play on his own with average to poor line mates.

Let?s be honest, if lack of effort was an issue he wouldn?t be on the team. Quinn wouldn?t accept that for a second.

He would when the other choice is Boo.

He would when the other choice is Boo.

He'd be sitting/in Hartford if he was showing a lack of effort. I don’t see why Quinn, who’s all about effort and hard work and will sit guys for looking at him funny, would accept Andersson of all people coasting.

Some of what might be perceived as lack of effort, I'm reading as slow. He seems to lack jump and acceleration. Maybe inexperience leads to hesitation and lack of anticipation. Not always , but enough that we notice. This is the danger of rushing prospects and expecting 19-20 y/o's to be close to their finished product.

Edit Not rushing on purpose, yes Lias is better than the rest of the 4th liners. But there is a benefit to developing players patiently like Tampa, Nash and Anaheim, for instance. But we don't have that luxury.

Some of what might be perceived as lack of effort, I'm reading as slow. He seems to lack jump and acceleration. Maybe inexperience leads to hesitation and lack of anticipation. Not always , but enough that we notice. This is the danger of rushing prospects and expecting 19-20 y/o's to be close to their finished product.

Edit Not rushing on purpose, yes Lias is better than the rest of the 4th liners. But there is a benefit to developing players patiently like Tampa, Nash and Anaheim, for instance. But we don't have that luxury.

This idea that a player has to be a star when they're 20 is such a joke and will ultimately lead to major disappointment in basically every drafted player. Only a select few players even make it to the NHL as a teen and most do not perform well when they do. It seems like there's quite a few people here that are ready to write Andersson off -- which is scary since we'll probably be drafting 1-2 more 1st rounders again this summer.

Rebuilds are slow and painful. Get used to it.

I say the rebuild is over by the end of next season

Depends what you mean by “over.”

Trading picks for expiring contracts? Signing big name free agents? It really all depends how good our own draft picks turn out to be. If Andersson,Chytil, Kratsov and Howden take over with Miller and Lundkvist in the back — and they’re all top-end talent, then yes. It’s over. Because you can bring in complimentary players to surround them.

However, if we’re still banking on buying star players then the rebuild is incomplete. The whole point of rebuilding is acquiring cap-friendly top end talent

He'd be sitting/in Hartford if he was showing a lack of effort. I don’t see why Quinn, who’s all about effort and hard work and will sit guys for looking at him funny, would accept Andersson of all people coasting.

He is sitting tonight and has been getting minimal ice time lately. I think there is something more here than just his hockey ability. We'll see...maturity can be learned/taught too so maybe it's just one of those things that will take time.

My question is this, and I'm not being facetious: how many players have we seen on our team (or on any other teams for that matter) look as unimpressive as Andersson at age 20 and then later on develop in to great players? Normally you at least see FLASHES of a good player (like Chytil shows every now and then). The fact that he looks slow in today's NHL is incredibly damning for his future prospects. The rhetoric of "it's too early" and "people need patience" sounds all too familiar to me; my guess is 5 years from now we'll have parted ways with Andersson and we'll officially be ready to declare it a bad pick (while simultaneously making excuses for the next Andersson on the roster).

Of course, I'm fully prepare to be roasted for this opinion, and as always, I hope my cynicism is proven wrong.

My question is this, and I'm not being facetious: how many players have we seen on our team (or on any other teams for that matter) look as unimpressive as Andersson at age 20 and then later on develop in to great players? Normally you at least see FLASHES of a good player (like Chytil shows every now and then). The fact that he looks slow in today's NHL is incredibly damning for his future prospects. The rhetoric of "it's too early" and "people need patience" sounds all too familiar to me; my guess is 5 years from now we'll have parted ways with Andersson and we'll officially be ready to declare it a bad pick (while simultaneously making excuses for the next Andersson on the roster).

Of course, I'm fully prepare to be roasted for this opinion, and as always, I hope my cynicism is proven wrong.

No roast here, the post is very well thought out and can certainly turn out to be exactly what happens. Haven't seen any signs he's NHL ready and certainly nothing to indicate he's a special talent. Can it happen, sure but imo highly unlikely,

The Malholtra comparison has been made before: a high draft pick who proved not ready early on but who developed into a solid bottom six player with a long career. It was said when he was drafted that he had high floor and low ceiling, but a Malholtra parallel is not what he was drafted for. With Nieves back and a bad give away by Andersson on Vegas's third goal today, I've got to believe that Hartford is in his near term future.

The Malholtra comparison has been made before: a high draft pick who proved not ready early on but who developed into a solid bottom six player with a long career. It was said when he was drafted that he had high floor and low ceiling, but a Malholtra parallel is not what he was drafted for. With Nieves back and a bad give away by Andersson on Vegas's third goal today, I've got to believe that Hartford is in his near term future.

The only reason to send him to hartford is if he's not getting enough time here. Who cares if he makes mistakes here, so long as he's learning. If Quinn can't find him a spot in the lineup then he should go down. Until then, keep making mistakes. It literally doesn't matter this year.

Archived