• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

Right on G man!!!

The kid has all the offensive tools he's going to need and then some! I've been watching him in the Defensive zone and most often his backchecking and he's been getting very good at "read and recognition". He's not a Selke Candidate just yet, but yes...Lots of improvement!! Good catch Sir!! ;)

No diving, just driving! Maybe coach planned this. Put him with the 2 biggest defensive blackholes on the team and accelerate his growth by fire. :eek:

Honestly, I was scared D was going to be the big flaw in his game. Even hinder his potential as a Center, unless he had a Nash or Stone like 200' top winger. Preseason and the first few games didn't allay my fears. But wow, after a few games he's really showing something on D. And good catch too. His backchecking has stood out and he's been getting back to foil odd man rushes and be present in the D slot.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the most noticeable aspect in terms of change in his game is his strength. He clearly did some good work over the summer and looks like a different beast compared to last season. He looks bigger out there and is capable of using his body to protect the puck and win battles that you'd expect him to lose a few months ago.

Someone on here said he reminded them of a young Spezza. I agree with that.

No diving, just driving! Maybe coach planned this. Put him with the 2 biggest defensive blackholes on the team and accelerate his growth by fire. :eek:

Honestly, I was scared D was going to be the big flaw in his game. Even hinder his potential as a Center, unless he had a Nash or Stone like 200' top winger. Preseason and the first few games didn't allay my fears. But wow, after a few games he's really showing something on D. And good catch too. His backchecking has stood out and he's been getting back to foil odd man rushes and be present in the D slot.

Oh definitely...He's got that "quick stick" type of play where he's able to read and react to the off wing, cross ice pass. I'd like to see him kill a few more as well.

But yeah G, loving this kid...and especially my boy Howden...who is becoming a very good face off man himself!!!

I think the most noticeable aspect in terms of change in his game is his strength. He clearly did some good work over the summer and looks like a different beast compared to last season. He looks bigger out there and is capable of using his body to protect the puck and win battles that you'd expect him to lose a few months ago.

Someone on here said he reminded them of a young Spezza. I agree with that.

That was Phil, not a bad compare if you forget that he was considered the next Gretsky from 15-18 years old. I'm sticking with Peter Statsny of the Quebec Nordiques.

As for his D, dude will vouch that I thought he should be the rook to play wing because of D and to get top 6 minutes. But I think I was wrong, he screams Center and it seems like his best position. No matter what though, nothing trumps getting him more minutes and good linemates.

BTW, the kid is still a baby bodywise, wait till he fills out more.

Oh definitely...He's got that "quick stick" type of play where he's able to read and react to the off wing, cross ice pass. I'd like to see him kill a few more as well.

But yeah G, loving this kid...and especially my boy Howden...who is becoming a very good face off man himself!!!

I'm fighting you over Howden, I've already adopted him. He was my must have for McD, but I never thought he'd have this mature a game, yet. Between Howden, Hajek and Heatil, I'm just so happy! Howden has quickly become the favorite Ranger in my house. May he be blessed with good health.

Archived