• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some very talented guys playing in Hartford. Hajek, Andersson, Schneider, Gettinger... It's a throwaway season, we should be seeing more of these players in NY.

Hajek can stay right where he is until the logjam is resolved. I've heard he is playing shutdown D, but has been defensive minded while his partner jumps in more. He should probably tap his offensive potential and really gain confidence/comfort for a few months, before getting a call up.

Lias is probably very closely monitored. If he is consistent and improves the areas the Rangers want worked on, he'll get called up. Ten games is not enough, we don't want to yo-yo him. Continuity is good here, no rush, make sure he's ready.

Gettinger needs at least year in Hartford right? Why call him up? Cole is 28, he wasn't impressive in camp/preseason.

If anybody consistently dominates they can be brought up at the deadline. Even if it is someone unexpected.

Hajek can stay right where he is until the logjam is resolved. I've heard he is playing shutdown D, but has been defensive minded while his partner jumps in more. He should probably tap his offensive potential and really gain confidence/comfort for a few months, before getting a call up.

If Hajek is ready, you let other players suffer the consequences of the logjam.

Waive Claesson, trade McQuaid, bench Staal. Logjam resolved.

If he's not ready, then fine, but to think that he shouldn't be brought up because there's no way this current blueline should be prohibitive of any young player.

If Hajek is ready, you let other players suffer the consequences of the logjam.

Waive Claesson, trade McQuaid, bench Staal. Logjam resolved.

If he's not ready, then fine, but to think that he shouldn't be brought up because there's no way this current blueline should be prohibitive of any young player.

Couldn't agree more.

We're 11 games in and I'm already sick of watching these veteran donkeys offering fuck all. If it's deemed best for his development then fair enough. But we currently have a logjam of shit, and it shouldn't be used as an excuse for holding young players back.

Colin Stephenson

‏ @ColinASteph

57m57 minutes ago

Don’t laugh - looks like they’re working on - line changes?

Colin Stephenson

‏ @ColinASteph

54m54 minutes ago

Ok, some clarity on the lines now. Second line stays together from yesterday - 20-13-23. Fourth line is 89-72-95. So, 95 is back in, 8 is out, and 89 is on the left.

(Buch was not rotating in with lines earlier in the practice.)

See the pressure Chytil is experiencing? He's creating but he needs to find his confidence finishing. Yet, Gorton does not want to send him down for understandable reasons. Let Hajek find some offensive momentum and more time on NA ice. He may already play D like a young McD, but he needs to take strides offensively.

Why waive Claesson? He's been fine, plays both sides, skates well, defends, good depth. He was good with Karlsson, has a cheap 2 year deal and is 25 y/o.

We haven't traded anybody yet. We are almost better off building value in the Staal, Shatty and McQuaid so we can trade em. All with retention. Guys are dropping like flies, needs will emerge.

Couldn't agree more.

We're 11 games in and I'm already sick of watching these veteran donkeys offering fuck all. If it's deemed best for his development then fair enough. But we currently have a logjam of shit, and it shouldn't be used as an excuse for holding young players back.

But the reality is they have held ADA back, Shatty and/or McQuaid is blocking him. Staal primarily is blocking Hajek, but at least Hajek is gaining great experience in our system.

No sense arguing with me, I've been sick of the roster construction on D since they choose G and Boyle over Stralman. Been vocal about addition by subtraction on the blueline. McQuaid has to get back on the ice, play a few good games and get traded. It is more important to get rid of these old or slow dmen and proceeding with some caution, then entertaining the fans.

But the reality is they have held ADA back, Shatty and/or McQuaid is blocking him. Staal primarily is blocking Hajek, but at least Hajek is gaining great experience in our system.

No sense arguing with me, I've been sick of the roster construction on D since they choose G and Boyle over Stralman. Been vocal about addition by subtraction on the blueline. McQuaid has to get back on the ice, play a few good games and get traded. It is more important to get rid of these old or slow dmen and proceeding with some caution, then entertaining the fans.

I think you need to read what we said again.

Merely making the point that the logjam itself isn't a good reason to hold a young player back.

If he's not ready, fine.

If it's better for his development to stay where he is, also fine.

I'm also not convinced the current setup is adding to the trade value of guys like Shatty and McQuaid.

Lias is probably very closely monitored. If he is consistent and improves the areas the Rangers want worked on, he'll get called up. Ten games is not enough, we don't want to yo-yo him. Continuity is good here, no rush, make sure he's ready.

Gettinger needs at least year in Hartford right? Why call him up? Cole is 28, he wasn't impressive in camp/preseason.

If anybody consistently dominates they can be brought up at the deadline. Even if it is someone unexpected.

Schneider had a really solid preseason. Guy just needs a chance. I'm a sucker for the AHL lifers that never get a sniff. I loved Carey last year too. I'd much rather see Schneider in there over Mcleod and at this point Lettieri should be playing minutes in Hartford, because he's doing absolutely nothing when inserted into this line up.

Shit, get Gettinger up here too. Big winger for the 4th line that can play? I didn't know he was doing good.

I don't see one player that deserves to he a regular on D. If that's the case, I give Hajek a look try.

I think you need to read what we said again.

Merely making the point that the logjam itself isn't a good reason to hold a young player back.

If he's not ready, fine.

If it's better for his development to stay where he is, also fine.

I'm also not convinced the current setup is adding to the trade value of guys like Shatty and McQuaid.

I got you guys, just saying Hajek is still developing his O down in Hartford. He and Lias don't need the Chytil pressure just yet. Chytil spent a good chunk in Hartford, these two not as much. 10 games doesn't prove enough or build a dominant mentality. No reason not to give em 25-30 games.

Nope the current setup hasn't really improved their trade value. Maybe Staal a teenee, but not enough. That was the hope though. Now they have to figure out a way to get ADA into the lineup.

Schneider had a really solid preseason. Guy just needs a chance. I'm a sucker for the AHL lifers that never get a sniff. I loved Carey last year too. I'd much rather see Schneider in there over Mcleod and at this point Lettieri should be playing minutes in Hartford, because he's doing absolutely nothing when inserted into this line up.

Shit, get Gettinger up here too. Big winger for the 4th line that can play? I didn't know he was doing good.

I don't see one player that deserves to he a regular on D. If that's the case, I give Hajek a look try.

I think Gettinger still needs work. I’d rather see if he can improve skills rather than forcing him to become a fourth liner in the NHL

He’s been ok, from what I’ve seen. He was capitalizing on his chances, he cooled off after the first few games.

Schneider’s old. But might add the jump we were expecting from Letteiri.

I think we need to waive 1, send 2 down, and bring 1 or 2 fresh faces up.

I’m not a fan of trading guys at this point in the season, but I think they should move out a member of the old core, shake it up a bit. We saw guys playing “tight” last season because they were nervous about being traded. That shit can’t happen this year. Quinn needs control, and that’s not happening with the old blood still controlling the room.

Well someone on the broadcast thought McLoud had a good game with his bad penalties and another ridiculous fight. Cole for Cody button on. Can anyone tell me the purpose of these fights he starts. Not sticking up for teammate or from competitive tough checking that gets overheated. What is Quinn thinking with this? The only thing I really don't understand besides not getting ADA in more games.

Yeah, same here. I could maybe understand it if they were dressing a true rebuild roster full of kids, but that's not even the case.

God bless Cody McCleod. He's worked hard to get here and stay here and apparently at one time he was even somewhat effective.

But this? Nah. This is ridiculous. At least Glass could skate.

Well someone on the broadcast thought McLoud had a good game with his bad penalties and another ridiculous fight. Cole for Cody button on. Can anyone tell me the purpose of these fights he starts. Not sticking up for teammate or from competitive tough checking that gets overheated. What is Quinn thinking with this? The only thing I really don't understand besides not getting ADA in more games.

I think he was justified with ADA not being in the lineup. He looked considerably better this last game than in the other two he played. He did make some plays offensively in the Carolina game, but was a trainwreck in his own zone. He looked improved in his own zone against the Kings. I think the benching and re-inserting into the lineup is ultimately what he might have needed. Now he needs some games though, even if some mistakes are made. Have to let some of these guys work through it. He's clearly letting Chytil work through it on a long leash.

I think it was Brooks who reported that Quinn had challenged AdA to show more in practice before he got back on the ice. I have no problems with that. Even though I don't like the idea of deadwood veterans blocking young players with potential, it has to be clear nothing comes for free and the young guys have to apply themselves and win places.

It feels like it's up to him to keep his place now.

I think it was Brooks who reported that Quinn had challenged AdA to show more in practice before he got back on the ice. I have no problems with that. Even though I don't like the idea of deadwood veterans blocking young players with potential, it has to be clear nothing comes for free and the young guys have to apply themselves and win places.

It feels like it's up to him to keep his place now.

I wouldn't view it as old players "blocking". In my opinion, it's nothing more than a facade to motivate and energize the kids who need to earn a spot.

Either that or play him. Give him PP time. Give him a shift in OT.

From my perspective he hasn?t earned that. He was not good with the puck last night. Turned it over almost every time he touched it. Why would he play in OT? Confidence is king and he just needs to get that feeling back again. Send him down against lesser competiton and let him feel good about himself again.

Archived