• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, he needs playing time, in the AHL. He looks way too tense out there.

snake bitten 19-year old rookie on a short leash.

Sending him don't won't fix that issue. This is something he needs to play through, in the NHL. It is a rebuild, afterall. We have the luxury of giving him that needed playing time this season.

After his first goal, then I think it's off to the races. He looks like he belongs here.

I'm with you, Papa Bear! I think once he gets going, he's gonna go on a roll. No sense in sending him down; We're not winning anything this season.

snake bitten 19-year old rookie on a short leash.

Sending him don't won't fix that issue. This is something he needs to play through, in the NHL. It is a rebuild, afterall. We have the luxury of giving him that needed playing time this season.

Snake bitten would mean he?s had many chances, I haven?t seen that at all. He?s having trouble stickhandling, nevermind chances. Agree to disagree on this one

Snake bitten would mean he?s had many chances, I haven?t seen that at all. He?s having trouble stickhandling, nevermind chances. Agree to disagree on this one
Recently, yes.

Earlier this year he was all over the play in the O Zone and just couldn't score.

I'd send him down for an AHL weekend just to get him a goal or 2. They'll come in bunches and then we bring him back up.

Chytil needs playing time. When he's out there, he's fine. He's carry the puck, making plays, etc. He's usually with guys with little to no offense, which doesnt help

I agree with this. I'm not sure why Hayes is getting the free pass he always gets. He's offensive cancer. You never see anything develop when he has the puck. With Chytil, you see him finding lanes to the net or putting the puck where you'd want his linemates to be, which is towards the net. I want him to be given a scoring role. Yes GIVEN. Hayes hasn't earned his icetime as a scorer. Put Chytil in there. If Quinn isn't going to use him in a role that suits him, they might as well send him down and plug Nieves into that 4th line gig. Or let Andersson try to work his way up from the 4th line, which IMO is a role he can handle and contribute at, while learning and growing into something more. Have him PK and go from there.

My feeling is that it's probably the right decision to keep him with the big club, but he should be played in a top 6 role.

I don't profess to know more than Quinn & co, but in my opinion playing him on a line with McLeod + 1 makes very little sense. Play him with a couple of decent wingers on a line that generates some offense and with linemates he can bounce off.

My feeling is that it's probably the right decision to keep him with the big club, but he should be played in a top 6 role.

I don't profess to know more than Quinn & co, but in my opinion playing him on a line with McLeod + 1 makes very little sense. Play him with a couple of decent wingers on a line that generates some offense and with linemates he can bounce off.

Even Beleskey or Fogarty. McBlob is zero help for his development. The current team needs all the help they can get production wise, a 4th line with a little ability goes a long way.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What would the coaches thought process be when he plays a highly skilled player with plugs? Is he trying to teach him to "play the game the right way"? I know Brind'Amour has Svech playing on the fourth line with a couple of plugs and the kid looks lost at times. He makes these great passes and they go no where.

I think Chytil needs to play with guys at his level of skill, not that we have any, but at least better players.

What would the coaches thought process be when he plays a highly skilled player with plugs? Is he trying to teach him to "play the game the right way"? I know Brind'Amour has Svech playing on the fourth line with a couple of plugs and the kid looks lost at times. He makes these great passes and they go no where.

I think Chytil needs to play with guys at his level of skill, not that we have any, but at least better players.

My observation leads me to believe that Quinn is trying to win. He's not in rebuild mode, or focusing on developing youth. He's trying to win.

From that stand point, he has "Ineffective Chytil" and a "Lazy Russian" to choose between playing. With Chytil, he can throw him on the 4th line at center. With Buchnevich in the lineup, he'd be forced to move Letteiri up the line-up for Buchnevich on the 4th, then move Spooner or Namestnikov to the 4th to play C.

Hayes has been really good recently. Wish he would have buried some of those chances, though. But you can say that about everyone on this team.

I'd rather take Spooner off the PP for Chytil.

I wish he would shoot the puck more often though, Josh-man. I still think he's the damn black hole with it. He's got the talent, and I get that...but even Gretzky shot the puck a ton, and he was known a GREAT playmaker. Hayes just doesn't shoot enough for my liking. But you're right, the entire team has missed a lot of really high chance opportunities recently. I guess it goes with the territory of having a young team.

We do have some vets that should be hitting twine though! LOL

I don't think having a young team has much to do with it. It's about being pure goal scorers. Rangers don't have any and almost never do. Matthews, Laine, Ovechkin and the true goal scorers don't miss the opportunities the Rangers players do. I've been saying for years the team needs to go to finishing school.

I wish he would shoot the puck more often though, Josh-man. I still think he's the damn black hole with it. He's got the talent, and I get that...but even Gretzky shot the puck a ton, and he was known a GREAT playmaker. Hayes just doesn't shoot enough for my liking. But you're right, the entire team has missed a lot of really high chance opportunities recently. I guess it goes with the territory of having a young team.

We do have some vets that should be hitting twine though! LOL

Yes, reminds me of the frustration we had with Nylander.

I don't think having a young team has much to do with it. It's about being pure goal scorers. Rangers don't have any and almost never do. Matthews, Laine, Ovechkin and the true goal scorers don't miss the opportunities the Rangers players do. I've been saying for years the team needs to go to finishing school.

that's why I want Zibanejad on the wing. I think he could be that for this team. Less focus on playmaking and defense, just get open and shoot - like he does on the PP.

that's why I want Zibanejad on the wing. I think he could be that for this team. Less focus on playmaking and defense, just get open and shoot - like he does on the PP.

I'd love to see that, but if you pull him from center duties, you make Hayes the 1C. No frikken thanks. I don't even want him as the 2C. He's the perfect 3C and it's showing.

I only move Zib to wing if it guarantees Chytil, Howden or even Andersson are the top center. No more Hayes. Sick of him.

We don’t have a first line center in Zibanejad, now or in the future. And we don’t have a first line. So don’t get caught up numbering the lines.

Gives Chytil and Howden more icetime, too.

Give Hayes the tough defensive matchups.

Somewhat related, we have a defense problem. Here are the guys who can play good consistent D as forwards:

Fast

Howden

Hayes

Names

&

Zib - aside from maybe one game, Zib has been surprisingly noticeable on D and he obviously gets matched up against the opposing #1s. We really need Zib at C. Not only is he currently the biggest piece to our O, but we need his D at center.

He is our 1C until we have someone consistently better. Then he can move to #2C or RW or traded. Until then, your idea is before it's time.

Sidenote: Given we have only 5 forwards good on D (Vesey and Zuc are OK), line construction impacts how this team looks, game to game. A 4th line of Chytil, McLoud, Vinni is going to give up tons of chances every time they don't have the puck. Surprised they didn't lose the game for us. If we could magically add 2 real top liners we'd field a formidable balanced 4th line like Spooner/Chytil or Lias/Fast.

Imagine what all four lines would look like if we could add two stars at LW and RW.

Just to be clear. Not saying Zib plays shutdown D on the level of the other 4 guys, but he's been real good. His speed, quick hands/stick, hockey mind and experience has allowed him to become a complete player.

Vesey has gotten better than OK, especially on the forecheck. His backchecking (an effort thing) has improved and he makes fewer dumb passes/giveaways. Zucs OK, Kreids isn't terrible.

We don?t have a first line center in Zibanejad, now or in the future. And we don?t have a first line. So don?t get caught up numbering the lines.

Gives Chytil and Howden more icetime, too.

Give Hayes the tough defensive matchups.

He's not a first line winger, either, so argument is moot. You're not solving a problem by moving Z to wing.

Archived