• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

what was the criticism?

Sorry, forgot about this.

In short; Quinn had a massive hard-on for muckers and grinders, and kept skill players on a short leash if they didn't play the "Quinn Way". He would bench guys like Jordan Greenway and others who were by far the most talented guys on the team, and then "punish" them by making them work their way up from the 4th line whilst playing 3rd line plugs in their place. Eichel is apparently on record as saying it was a total waste of time.

It was mentioned on the BSB podcast not too long ago. I don't follow college hockey so I can't say if any of that is true or not. But there are a few aspects of his coaching with the Rangers that ring a bell.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wtf does that even mean?

Is he mailing it in in practice or something?

Sounds like a keen way of saying "he's too good to be in there for the tank".

I think Zibby and Kreider may have some "late night" issues as well....they may need to sit out a few as well.

I thought he coasted a little too often. He sped up his game only on breakouts and his back checking looked disinterested. Everybody praising his "talent" maybe swelled his ego. (?)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

2 schools of thought.

1.) Play a skilled guy to maximize his skills

2.) Force a skilled guy to play a 2-way game

I say go out there and let the kid work on what he does best. It's not his fault Quinn plays Pionk 23 minutes a game

Just like kids. Set high expectations and firm boundaries when they are not met. Once there is a relatively consistent (rebuilt) unit, hopefully obligations to self and teammates will supersede the discipline of the coach - thus separating kids and adults, amateurs and pros. But they seem a ways off from that. I definitely support institutional accountability.

It?s preferable to the utter idiocy of playing him on the 4th line.

Everybody on the team has to earn their ice, but if you?re unhappy with someone sit them. Don?t play them in a role they?re clearly unsuited for as some form of weird punishment.

Yeah, Quinn still has his own learning curve that he needs to contend with.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This is a good thing. Chytl not playing a few games this year will not stunt his development. If he thinks it's acceptable to just coast on his skill alone and never face discipline that could be a growth "stunter".

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It was great to see the clip of Zib meting out accountability during the WSH game. That's what a captain does.

It was great to see the clip of Zib meting out accountability during the WSH game. That's what a captain does.

Lundqvist has been doing it for years!

People get SO bent out of shape when Henrik scolds a dman, especially A younger one

I'm all in with Quinn. Guy shows a 'no BS' approach and has an underwhelming bunch of talent performing pretty well all things considered. His report card isn't due until two years from now since that will be when there's been enough roster turnover and new picks/signings to give him something to mold to his scheme -- then we can evaluate his actions with a bit of roadway under his belt.

Archived