• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#5) Rangers vs. Edmonton Oilers // It's an Oily Game

Morphinity 2.0

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have zero issue with Quinn or the team. The refs were disgusting today and have been thus far this season. I expect and to a certain degree am ok with losing. The roster sucks but improvements by the right guys is all that should be hoped for.

The only thing I disagree with is when this gets turned around. Five years is likely not next year or even three

Refs were horrid in the third. It was a close clean game and they wrecked it, but they are human. The most egregious penalty was the one not called, yet everyone saw. Hayes gets yanked down from behind and seconds later Names gets his legs taken out. The ref furthest from the play penalizes Names and they score. Ticky tack calls against McQuaid on McDavid and the 2nd penalty on Staal. Blowing the whistle when McJesus fell on the puck exhausted. I have no problem if the players chalk this up to shitty calls. As long as they realize ya gotta score more than 1 goal against Edm at home to win.

Fatty, I'm likely in the minority, but I expect this team to make the playoffs next year and get better from there. But only if the influx of young talent occurs as I expect. First we trade 2 vets (or more, if we're lucky) to make room and cap space. We'll get some assets in return. Add Hajek, a guy who will impact our top 4. A bigger Howden and Chytil, with 1 year NHL experience. A very high pick. Then the Russian Invasion. Kravtsov, Shesty, Rykov... plus we have room for a Russian first line UFA with minimal hard miles for his age. A strategic signing of a sniper named Panarin. Meanwhile Lias uses this year to get faster and maybe Lindgren impresses next camp and/or someone else surprises.

A few vets emerge as players and we have the horses for a quick rebuild like the Bruins. Except, if the Rangers manage it better, we have a higher ceiling, more longevity and less cap issues..

I said at the end of last game that Quinn is fine. So, some are already calling for his head? Fine that?s your take but I disagree. Kids are learning on the fly. We made fewer gaffes today then yesterday. Hank has been good. Refs have not. I?m not into a NHL conspiracy against us but even so, our refs are only slightly better than MLS soccer.

Was the game entertaining? Yes. Carry on.

Refs were horrid in the third. It was a close clean game and they wrecked it, but they are human. The most egregious penalty was the one not called, yet everyone saw. Hayes gets yanked down from behind and seconds later Names gets his legs taken out. The ref furthest from the play penalizes Names and they score. Ticky tack calls against McQuaid on McDavid and the 2nd penalty on Staal. Blowing the whistle when McJesus fell on the puck exhausted. I have no problem if the players chalk this up to shitty calls. As long as they realize ya gotta score more than 1 goal against Edm at home to win.

Fatty, I'm likely in the minority, but I expect this team to make the playoffs next year and get better from there. But only if the influx of young talent occurs as I expect. First we trade 2 vets (or more, if we're lucky) to make room and cap space. We'll get some assets in return. Add Hajek, a guy who will impact our top 4. A bigger Howden and Chytil, with 1 year NHL experience. A very high pick. Then the Russian Invasion. Kravtsov, Shesty, Rykov... plus we have room for a Russian first line UFA with minimal hard miles for his age. A strategic signing of a sniper named Panarin. Meanwhile Lias uses this year to get faster and maybe Lindgren impresses next camp and/or someone else surprises.

A few vets emerge as players and we have the horses for a quick rebuild like the Bruins. Except, if the Rangers manage it better, we have a higher ceiling, more longevity and less cap issues..

I hope you’re right but I think its going to take time. Many of the guys you are relying next year aren’t even in the league right now. Having those expectations is unlikely and not fair. They will need time. There are plenty of teams that have young talent even better than that that have still not made the playoffs. Some of those guys might not be here next year either. They all develop at different paces done won’t at all.

Realistically this takes years. Even the leafs who couldn’t have had better fortune during their rebuild took 5 years to get to this point. That’s best case scenario.

I hope you’re right but I think its going to take time. Many of the guys you are relying next year aren’t even in the league right now. Having those expectations is unlikely and not fair. They will need time. There are plenty of teams that have young talent even better than that that have still not made the playoffs. Some of those guys might not be here next year either. They all develop at different paces done won’t at all.

All reasonable points and I'm not saying they will be ready to contend for a Cup next year. Nor will I expect a 19-20 y/o forward or a 21 y/o dmen to not make mistakes or go a bunch of games w/o a point.

However, Howden and Chytil are the real deal and the kind of Centers we needed. Lias will be competent and add young depth, if nothing else. We know what Panarin is. I've seen enough of Hajek to be salivating. Shesty has been brought along slowly and is killing it. Kravtsov was taken ahead of Wahlstrom, Bouchard and Dobson. We liked him more than Zadina and Tkachuk, he better compete for a spot in a year or two. At least one of Rykov, Lindgren, Keane and Day will become a good bottom pair dmen. Then there is the rest of the assets still to come.

Realistically this takes years. Even the leafs who couldn’t have had better fortune during their rebuild took 5 years to get to this point. That’s best case scenario.

Leafs was a total tear down and they still are lacking on D and possibly in goal. Yes ,they lucked out with Auston and I'm not counting on getting Hughes, But if Kravtsov can make a Marner like impact, and we add a top-line scoring winger we are on our way, given the other wingers on the roster. Our C's as a group look good even w/o an Auston Sydney McJesus. And beyond Pionk and ADA, we have 3 serious D prospects (Hajek, Miller, Lundkvist) and 4 good to decent prospects in Rykov, Lindgren, Keane and Day.

It's enough for think we can do what the Bruins did. And that's before other roster moves and another strong draft with multiple 1st's and 2nds.

Unfortunately the NHL refs suck for everyone. That's not a NYR thing, it's an NHL thing. The SJS/DeBoer offside review took almost 7 minutes; would tend to show it was "inconclusive'. Did it require a feature film length review? And a loss why the offside thing doesn't have a limit, i.e., defending team touches the puck in the zone, 15 seconds, only on breakaway-type scores. And generally NHL claims they have made headshots a priority but they still often go uncalled altogether.

It doesn't look like there's any quality control. Even adding a 2nd ref hasn't helped. I understand a game that features a constant parade to the penalty box usually is not entertaining. But the general quality of the officials does not ever get better going on decades.

Unfortunately the NHL refs suck for everyone. That's not a NYR thing, it's an NHL thing. The SJS/DeBoer offside review took almost 7 minutes; would tend to show it was "inconclusive'. Did it require a feature film length review? And a loss why the offside thing doesn't have a limit, i.e., defending team touches the puck in the zone, 15 seconds, only on breakaway-type scores. And generally NHL claims they have made headshots a priority but they still often go uncalled altogether.

It doesn't look like there's any quality control. Even adding a 2nd ref hasn't helped. I understand a game that features a constant parade to the penalty box usually is not entertaining. But the general quality of the officials does not ever get better going on decades.

Bugg, gonna use this post to vent my pet peeve. WTF NHL on this offsides shit! Offsides exists in sports like hockey and soccer to prevent "goal hanging". Talk about losing the spirit and reason for the rule. How did we get to a place where we need figure out if a guys skate is a few inches off the ice, even when it is clearly behind the line? Who fuckin cares anyway. Often the depth perception from a camera angle makes it very difficult to determine. They should eliminate calling offsides (ON REVIEWS ONLY) on the basis of the height of the skate. Call those inconclusive if they must.

If we could just get back to if a player is over the line or not, the bullshit offsides delays would be eliminated. It would still allow the correction of a legit missed offsides call, which was the goal of making it reviewable anyway.

All reasonable points and I'm not saying they will be ready to contend for a Cup next year. Nor will I expect a 19-20 y/o forward or a 21 y/o dmen to not make mistakes or go a bunch of games w/o a point.

However, Howden and Chytil are the real deal and the kind of Centers we needed. Lias will be competent and add young depth, if nothing else. We know what Panarin is. I've seen enough of Hajek to be salivating. Shesty has been brought along slowly and is killing it. Kravtsov was taken ahead of Wahlstrom, Bouchard and Dobson. We liked him more than Zadina and Tkachuk, he better compete for a spot in a year or two. At least one of Rykov, Lindgren, Keane and Day will become a good bottom pair dmen. Then there is the rest of the assets still to come.

Leafs was a total tear down and they still are lacking on D and possibly in goal. Yes ,they lucked out with Auston and I'm not counting on getting Hughes, But if Kravtsov can make a Marner like impact, and we add a top-line scoring winger we are on our way, given the other wingers on the roster. Our C's as a group look good even w/o an Auston Sydney McJesus. And beyond Pionk and ADA, we have 3 serious D prospects (Hajek, Miller, Lundkvist) and 4 good to decent prospects in Rykov, Lindgren, Keane and Day.

It's enough for think we can do what the Bruins did. And that's before other roster moves and another strong draft with multiple 1st's and 2nds.

Bruins did it while retaining chara, Marchand, Bergeron, kreci, rask etc. not sure whom on the rangers compares to any of those guys from five six years ago. Hank and rask are comparable but rask was in his mid 20’s when they retooled hank is 37. The bruins also weren’t starting with a farm system that was empty. The bruins didn’t have 5 years with no first roundpicks. They did however have a year with 3 firsts just like the rangers. On every level the bruins equipped themselves far better to make a quick turn around. The conparables with the rangers just doesn’t exist to me

But... To Contradict what I said, here is Quinn doing his job criticizing our lack of offense in today's presser

[video=youtube;ucgEBcYg-Ls]

I love this interview. I missed the game, but how he talks about the players and how he himself needs to get guys more icetime, shows he's obviously a work in progress with a mish mosh roster that he is still trying to feel out.

Sounds like Giac is going to get his wish with Chytil maybe moving to a wing. Not sure where he fits on a wing unless they flip Spooner or Namestnikov to center. I really want him to get more icetime. Would he fit with Hayes? Possibly. I'd rather see him with Zib. Maybe break up that struggling 1st line and put Buch somewhere else?

This roster has a lot of flexibility. Nothing should be set in stone at this point. Hell, I'd bring up Andersson, waive Mcleod and bench Hayes. Where are all the Hayes fans? This is the guy people wanted to give a long term deal to? I'm sick of him again. He can't get traded soon enough.

I do as well, Dude man! I think this guy is definitely a big piece of the solution to this franchise going forward. His no bullshit approach is required for this juncture of the rebuild. It's been long overdue. I like his evaluation of his players and I also like to see that he not only complimented Chytil on his improvement from the SJ game to Saturday's game, but is willing to reward him by giving him more play time. Good for Chytil! he's deserving in my eyes.

Yeah the officiating ate a monkey's ass in the third, and yeah it's bullshit, but I think Quinn is dead on when he stated that this team lacks the tenacity it needs in the offensive zone and we've been saying this for YEARS...This fucking team needs to shoot the damn thing A LOT more! Not a little....A LOT!!!

Bravo! Nicely said, it truly is absurd. FFS the least they can do is centralize the review process to Toronto or wherever. Get these clowns off the ipads or whatever they're using. Might as well be looking at the replays on their phones. Set a time limit of 90 seconds ones Toronto has it and if there's no decision the call stands. I loath the entire process the way it sits today. To me there are some simple ways it can be improved immediately.

Archived