• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shattenkirk – Healthy Scratch Thursday?

Giacomin

But that 30 teams number is irrelevant.

It's the number of teams who would be contenders or buyers at the deadline that matters. Of those teams, how many have a bad PP, how many have a bad PP because they have no PP QB, how many of them can take on a contract. The number of teams who meet all 4 of those criteria is...really small.

Let's arbitrarily say there are 18 contenders right now:

East - Carolina, Toronto, Boston, Washington, Pitt, Philly, Florida, Columbus, Tampa

West - Winnipeg, Nashville, San Jose, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Calgary, Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota

How many of those teams don't have a point-producing defenseman on the PP? Calgary and Chicago?

Add in Pitt, and you can say Florida too, because despite the stats, Yandle isn't scaring anyone.

Let's not forget the Rangers can eat a portion of the contract. Shattenkirk at about 4 mill might be tolerable for a team needing a boost in offense from the blue line. Maybe not...

I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. He's not THIS bad. He wasn't THIS bad the entire time last year... He's gotta rebound and get back to being what he always was. ....An ok point producer.

I think Quinn is going to be a fair coach, who will be rotating guys in and out. I don't think anyone is going to be benched or sat. Not until after Thanksgiving.

I guess you have to chalk up Shattenkirks bad start to rust. But it's not like he hasn't been skating all summer. He looks terrible out there. In game rust is expected. But he's got no legs. He looks dead and clueless out there. Not that anyone else looks very good, but he's looking the worst. I expected better from him to start. Hopefully he gets it together.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Future, you speak the truth. He has little value. GM's will remember how poor he was in Wash, plus they win the Cup after he leaves. Was hoping he'd light it up and some team would make a decent offer for him.Seems unlikely now.

We'd have to retain salary in most deals. I'd take a 2019 2nd rounder right now and consider it a steal. Or just a legitimate prospect. Our only hope is he's an offensive RHD that won't require your 1st rounder to get him.

There are always injuries and teams want playoff depth.

Just very briefly looking Shattenkirk has averaged ~ 45 points per year over his NHL career, the Devils Butcher who makes next to nothing had 44 pts last season and his making pennies compared to Shattenkirk. I think it's safe to say the Devil's wouldn't even answer the phone at this point. In fact most of their fans are thrilled they dodged a bullet when he signed here.

We should probably start praying for injuries across the league.

They would with retention.

Anyone know how many contracts we're retaining money on? I don't think any of them...

Maybe, even so, that has represussions for the Rangers and the return would be minimal at best.

Next years deadline with a year less term is probably doable and if he shows better the return could improve to something actually useful.

Shattenkirk may still have some after effects from knee surgery. Think they will give him every chance within reason to show he can be an effective PP pointman and servicable D. Now he may very well be a lost cause, but doubt a coach who by all accounts likes him and has worked with him before is going to write him off 4 games in. The contract means he gets way, way more time.

Hayes, different story. Guy has mostly glided night in night out.

Shattenkirk was traded for the presidents trophy team first round pick and a c prospect two years ago when he was a looming ufa and easy to fit cap wise. He was Actually regarded as good then by his standards and there was barely a market for him then. Today he is less than worthless.

Except he has 6.65 million reasons for two more years after this one that makes him far less valuable and problematic to fit on a team.

Also he’s the same player that basically everyone in Washington shit on after being so utterly disappointed with what they got.

I agree though he’s always been awful

Edmonton, devils, st louis, Colorado could be making playoffs. you just never know how it is going to play out come February/march. All you need is one team to make a deal.

my point is that we played one week of hockey. im not writing anything off just yet.

Edmonton maybe....St. Louis I mentioned, they have Pietrangelo. Colorado has Barrie. NJ has Butcher and Vatanen.

You can keep the door open, sure, but there just aren't many teams who would be in the market that need the type of player Shatty is.

He's really not immovable. Only has a 10 team no-trade list. Sell him at 50% and I can't see why you wouldn't have a taker.

We wouldn't have a taker b/c he doesn't add anything that most of hte playoff teams don't already have.

Sure, in a vacuum, Shatty at 50% is appealing for some teams. But none of those teams are going to give up anything of value for that.

One thing is clear, Quinn is a communicator. The last 3 NY Post articles are loaded with his quotes and thoughts regarding his decisions. He answered a lot of my questions in the OP. I like this management approach. He communicates to the players and team directly, and remains consistent publicly. He met with each player who got reduced playing time, using video in at least one case, and explained why, w/o it being personal or adversarial. Each player has walked away satisfied, stating the decision justified.

Notice all he said to and about Shatty. It was smart, he didn't bury the guy. Mentioned he was coming back from injury, that is may take a little time before he gets back to his old self, etc. He got Shatty to admit what he needs to work on, that ADA was great and the other RHDs have outplayed him. It is a constructive approach and avoids unnecessary controversy.

He also spoke to a few other issues. On not being a tough guy and punitive, but reasoned. He's reasonable, admits there are times he takes into account that a player has some bank. He is not going to bench guys for making a mistake. Yet he does have a serious message to the team, no tolerance or excuse for lack of effort. He's showing he is flexible, even situational, about some things. Yet firm, clear and consistent about others.

Since he communicates these things well, the players can't mistake where he is coming from and what is expected.

He also spoke to a few other issues. On not being a tough guy and punitive, but reasoned. He's reasonable, admits there are times he takes into account that a player has some bank. He is not going to bench guys for making a mistake. Yet he does have a serious message to the team, no tolerance or excuse for lack of effort. He's showing he is flexible, even situational, about some things. Yet firm, clear and consistent about others.

Since he communicates these things well, the players can't mistake where he is coming from and what is expected.

So he’s the Dave (AmericanJesus)

Edmonton maybe....St. Louis I mentioned, they have Pietrangelo. Colorado has Barrie. NJ has Butcher and Vatanen.

You can keep the door open, sure, but there just aren't many teams who would be in the market that need the type of player Shatty is.

actually I would try to talk Edmonton into trading for Shitts. their D sucks, right?

It's not good, I'd do it for their 2019 2nd and retain 50% this year. He may need to sit in the pressbox a bunch more before he agrees to a trade there.

and I know just what to tell him. he's was a huge Rangers fan growing up, right? so we should tell him "the oilers helped us win the cup in '94, so now its our turn to help them win and you're needed there to do just that." Think he'll bite?

actually I would try to talk Edmonton into trading for Shitts. their D sucks, right?

Their D sucks, but that's not why you'd trade for him. You'd trade for him if you think he can make the PP better - which in EDMs case is true. So that's a potential team. But with EDM, you run into all of the other factors, like the fact that they suck as a whole and won't likely be buyers at the deadline...plus there's the chance that Shatty has EDM on his NMC.

This is the problem with trying to trade him. He's a defenseman who...can't defend. When WAS traded for him, they had no point man on the PP and were a contender. That's the only type of team he makes sense to, and there just aren't many of them right now, especially not enough to drive up the cost to the point where it would be worth it for the Rangers to retain.

But it is not a load of shit since those were things Shatty said. It appears Claesson is in for Pionk. Smith/Claesson is the bottom pair tonight.

It is a load if all these things are said and then Shatty doesn't sit. That doesn't seem to be the case, at this point.

Archived