• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if They Don't Lose Like We Expect?

jsm7302

Given Slats/Gorton's historical obsession with "getting something" for UFAs even when we are assured of making the playoffs, I think we will be a significant seller even if we are a few points into a playoff position.

When have we been sellers of UFA players while in a playoff spot ?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you're probably right, but it's August and it's just a hypothetical discussion

I get that. But even in a hypothetical scenario where this team somehow finds itself in playoff contention it's my opinion that not being sellers would be the wrong move and go against everything they've said and done since February. We should flip the likes of Zucarello and Hayes and probably a few others to have another draft with several 1st round picks.

I get that. But even in a hypothetical scenario where this team somehow finds itself in playoff contention it's my opinion that not being sellers would be the wrong move and go against everything they've said and done since February. We should flip the likes of Zucarello and Hayes and probably a few others to have another draft with several 1st round picks.

I think we will probably see Brassard- Zib + pick type trades, regardless.

If the Rangers turn into this seasons Avs, Devils or Knights, I could see them making a move that will benefit them this season, and into the future. (Panarin) But, the chances are slim.

I can understand Phil's paranoia based on past seasons, but making 1 move isnt ruining a rebuild.

I think they will be better than last season. Even if you?re just talking about ?watch-ability?. I?ve never been bored watching Rangers hockey like I was last season.

In terms of wins I wouldn?t be surprised but I am also not expecting it.

If they are middle of the pack you still trade guys to get more picks. I dont want to move up in the draft unless there is a bonafide future star available.

If the Rangers turn into this seasons Avs, Devils or Knights, I could see them making a move that will benefit them this season, and into the future. (Panarin) But, the chances are slim.

I can understand Phil's paranoia based on past seasons, but making 1 move isnt ruining a rebuild.

I totally agree, especially with the Brassard- Zib + pick type trades. The roster as it sits has zero elite, star player. Meaning no player that is in the top say 150 players in the league. IMO they will do whatever they have to get at least one that can be the poster boy. Most likely through a trade because it would be a hard sell to a ufa and Hayes will definitely be in that package deal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

When have we been sellers of UFA players while in a playoff spot ?

They were, what, a point out when they waived the white flag last February? They could easily have bought and made the final wildcard. Instead, they proactively sold. I'd say that counts.

I will say this: I think this team is going to surprise people. But even if they are in contention, I agree with Phil: I don't think the plan changes at all. They're committed to the rebuild.

The only way it changes is if they're 2005-06 surprising. As in picked to finish near the bottom of the league almost universally and strike gold with garbage, becoming the most unlikely powerhouse in the league.

I'd actually be in favor of that kind of move. I've written before, just a month ago or so, that trading for pending free agents who you intend to keep is smart business. Too few make it to market to rely on hope as a strategy. So, while optically it kind of sucks to give up pieces for a guy "you could have had for just money," a few months later, the fact is we'll never know if anyone could have actually had the player. They almost always re-sign before hand.

tl;dr: get talent when talent is available to be got.

They were, what, a point out when they waived the white flag last February? They could easily have bought and made the final wildcard. Instead, they proactively sold. I'd say that counts.

The difference is at the end of it they still would have been a team with an aging core, and likely worse the year following. If the same thing happened this year, you can no longer point to the core being aging and expecting to be worse next year. There would be more to lose this year by selling a playoff spot for picks. Most importantly of which is getting the young guys' feet wet.

The difference is at the end of it they still would have been a team with an aging core, and likely worse the year following. If the same thing happened this year, you can no longer point to the core being aging and expecting to be worse next year. There would be more to lose this year by selling a playoff spot for picks. Most importantly of which is getting the young guys' feet wet.

In year one? To what benefit?

"Congratulations on your first-round sweep, Lias and Filip ? hope you learned something valuable!"

In year one? To what benefit?

"Congratulations on your first-round sweep, Lias and Filip — hope you learned something valuable!"

First, they get to see how much faster, more physical, and tighter the space gets.

Second, I am still playing under the hypothetical assumption that this team is a good deal better than we expect them to be...4th-6th seed. I don't see that as a team you write off as a "sweep" and out. In that scenario, they are probably a 100-104 point team and A) producing offensively and B) not a disaster defensively.

If they are in that position, it is a big mistake to sell, just as it would be a big mistake to "go all in" and trade picks for vets or something. It is a perfect situation to stand pat and/or buy small (again, 3rd round pick for a vet kind of thing). Probably the only way this entire scenario would have to play out would require guys like Zucc and Hayes to be excellent, and you should be wanting to keep those guys for a few years if the team has taken that large a stride forward already with those guys leading the way.

The only way it changes is if they're 2005-06 surprising. As in picked to finish near the bottom of the league almost universally and strike gold with garbage, becoming the most unlikely powerhouse in the league.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Granted, that team had an up-and-coming Henrik and a Rangers-record-setting Jagr, but I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the on-ice product this year. I think we're going to win to the point of annoyance, and by annoyance I mean "there goes our Jack Hughes lottery pick" annoyance.

Regardless of how we do I think smart money would say we will be signing 2 of Panarin, Silverberg, Duchene and/or Seguin( it would be foolish for any of them not to go into free agency and see what they can get and we will have the money to do it)

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not so sure that we're that attractive of a destination for free agents anymore. I mean, if we surprise some people like I think we might, then all of a sudden we're a high-energy, competitive team on the upswing with a bright future. But as it stands now, we're a bit of a mess with no light at the end of the tunnel for at least two years.

Regardless of how we do I think smart money would say we will be signing 2 of Panarin, Silverberg, Duchene and/or Seguin( it would be foolish for any of them not to go into free agency and see what they can get and we will have the money to do it)

Getting two of four is a HUGE ask. I'll take the under.

I'm not so sure that we're that attractive of a destination for free agents anymore. I mean, if we surprise some people like I think we might, then all of a sudden we're a high-energy, competitive team on the upswing with a bright future. But as it stands now, we're a bit of a mess with no light at the end of the tunnel for at least two years.
New York is always attractive.

I'd love to get Silfverberg, just because of how he seems to be a playoff performer. Add in the weakness on the wing and it's just a good fit. Of course Panarin would be a nice get too.

I don't think they can attract two of these names though.

one of these things is not like the others

I'd entertain the idea of signing Duchene to a Hayes-like contract, 1 year, maybe around 6m. I dont think you can commit to him long-term.

Would LOVE Seguin, but it will take a huge overpayment to get him out of Dallas. And then I'm not sure he'd have the linemate like Benn to get those stats up.

Panarin - sure. But it will depend on the progress of our centers this season. If 3 of Zib, Chytil, Lias and Howden (Hayes?) don't take huge steps forward, I'm not sure we should be investing in another skilled winger for the long term. (In the top 6 Kravtsov, Panarin, Buchnevich, Chytil, Zibanejad - middle/bottom 6: Namestnikov, Spooner, Fast) SAWFT

Silverberg - would be an old school Rangers pick up. paying him 6m x 7 for third line duties. Helll no

Seguin could definitely be a possibility. UFA after this season (Although I think he'd probably end up staying in Dallas). What was missing throughout the last few years of good playoff runs was a true #1 talent. We had the perfect supporting cast and an elite goalie. We just didn't have that one top player to put us over the top. With the cap continuing to go up and what will likely be a lot of cap room, we can absolutely afford Seguin. But to lure him here, the young players are going to have to show a lot. But if he wants to be THE guy in a big city like New York, he'll definitely have that option

Archived