• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Cody McLeod to 1-Year/$750K Extension

Phil

If you didn't see this coming by the interest in Reaves and Komarov, I don't know what to tell you.

Rooks would gain more by playing 20 in htfd than 6 in NY.

Yup, especially since it's the first pro year for everyone outside of Chytil and Andersson.

Right now we're looking at...

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Names - Chytil - Zucc

Vesey - Hayes - Spooner

A 4th line with Ronning and Andersson/Howden would never see the ice in close or trailing games of which there will be a lot.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's an assumption.

Also, sheltered doesnt mean less.

No sense throwing Chytil against Crosby and Ovechkin lines, though. Let Hayes get those assignments, Chytil gets a third line, and Ronning can get 10-12 minutes playing on the 4th line, while getting some PP time.

The statement above has nothing to do with McLeod.

That's an assumption.

Also, sheltered doesnt mean less.

No sense throwing Chytil against Crosby and Ovechkin lines, though. Let Hayes get those assignments, Chytil gets a third line, and Ronning can get 10-12 minutes playing on the 4th line, while getting some PP time.

This. We've heard Quinn likes rolling 4 lines, which to my mind means the minutes are not going to be drastically as different as we had with AV. Game circumstances can change that but overall they should be more balanced. "Sheltered" minutes is an overblown term used out of context continuously. We need to get the right mix to have depth so all 4 lines can roll without any deep concerns.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This. We've heard Quinn likes rolling 4 lines, which to my mind means the minutes are not going to be drastically as different as we had with AV. Game circumstances can change that but overall they should be more balanced. "Sheltered" minutes is an overblown term used out of context continuously. We need to get the right mix to have depth so all 4 lines can roll without any deep concerns.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Easy to roll four lines at bu when you have the most talented roster in college hockey. Much harder in the nhl when your at a disadvantage roster wise going into almost every game. I highly doubt Quinn is going to give a fourth line with McLeod on it equal ice time

It was in response to your comment about rookies that was quoted and bolded.

Yea, I mean that's pretty confusing.

Because I said the rooks are better off playing 20 a night in Hartford than 6 a night in NY. Then you said it was an assumption.

But then you went on to say that they could play Chytil could play on the third line, so he's not playing with McLeod anyway. They you said Ronning could get 10-12 playing on the 4th line...McLeod isn't going to hamper any of that since (A) Ronning isn't a real blue chipper and (b) Ronning's best developmental minutes will be spent on the PP, if he's truly on the 4th line in NY.

This signing is a non-issue.

Easy to roll four lines at bu when you have the most talented roster in college hockey. Much harder in the nhl when your at a disadvantage roster wise going into almost every game. I highly doubt Quinn is going to give a fourth line with McLeod on it equal ice time
Good call, I think those that think Quinn's "system" is going to compensate for kids with no experience and guys that have proven to be mediocre at best are gonna be disappointed. Maybe he does have some magical turd polish for those that have been a part of the problem the last couple of seasons.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Then why even give him a contract? Why not give him a PTO instead? It's a waste of money and time.

And it'll matter if Quinn skates him 12:00 a night on Andersson's wing. That's called arrested development.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

But they have money to waste, honestly. Maybe they thought he was going to get signed elsewhere and wanted to make sure they had the option.

He sucks. There's no denying that. But realistically, he's a fine option as an extra forward if the Rangers were trying to toughen up a little bit, which it seems they are.

You meantioned Glass elsewhere but the problem with Glass was not that he was terrible, it was that he was playing with 5 minutes left in a playoff game because AV loved him. Quinn doesn't have the same allegiances. You might see him lean on Hayes or Shattenkirk more but he has no history with any other NHL players (at least in the Rangers system).

But they have money to waste, honestly. Maybe they thought he was going to get signed elsewhere and wanted to make sure they had the option.

He sucks. There's no denying that. But realistically, he's a fine option as an extra forward if the Rangers were trying to toughen up a little bit, which it seems they are.

You meantioned Glass elsewhere but the problem with Glass was not that he was terrible, it was that he was playing with 5 minutes left in a playoff game because AV loved him. Quinn doesn't have the same alliances. You might see him lean on Hayes or Shattenkirk more but he has no history with any other NHL players (at least in the Rangers system).

Fair enough. We don't know what Quinn's tendencies will be, so you've got me there. I just think they probably tapped him after losing out on Martin.

You meantioned Glass elsewhere but the problem with Glass was not that he was terrible, it was that he was playing with 5 minutes left in a playoff game because AV loved him. Quinn doesn't have the same allegiances. You might see him lean on Hayes or Shattenkirk more but he has no history with any other NHL players (at least in the Rangers system).

My only problem is that in the spring, when we start signing these undrafted players that he is a contract that counts against the books.

My only problem is that in the spring, when we start signing these undrafted players that he is a contract that counts against the books.
I don't worry about that. The Rangers did that to compensate for their lack of picks.

Unless it's a Hayes-type (first rounder that didn't sign), I wouldn't expect them to be in the running. And those usually happen in August iirc.

Brooks devotes his Slap Shots this Sunday to McCleod. He argues that even if the Rangers have a need for an enforcer, McCleod just isn't the right guy. He was tried and failed already. I don't recall one shift where McCleod got physical and pressed an opponent into an extended sequence in its own end. Even enforcers who can't play much can do that sometimes. Even Glass did that. Signings that reflect bad judgment worry me, because bad judgment does not end with the small signings...

Brooks devotes his Slap Shots this Sunday to McCleod. He argues that even if the Rangers have a need for an enforcer, McCleod just isn't the right guy. He was tried and failed already. I don't recall one shift where McCleod got physical and pressed an opponent into an extended sequence in its own end. Even enforcers who can't play much can do that sometimes. Even Glass did that. Signings that reflect bad judgment worry me, because bad judgment does not end with the small signings...

I agree, is there a reason to not believe he will spend most of his time on Hartford? Also, he may have been our last choice as an enforcer. Every alternative was signed to a bad contract by a better team.

We do have to go after at least one of the college free agents. We can offer playing time or an easier path to making the NHL. So I would like to see one signed. I believe the 15th is the earliest.

I agree, is there a reason to not believe he will spend most of his time on Hartford? Also, he may have been our last choice as an enforcer. Every alternative was signed to a bad contract by a better team.

We do have to go after at least one of the college free agents. We can offer playing time or an easier path to making the NHL. So I would like to see one signed. I believe the 15th is the earliest.

Hartnell and Winnik are both UFAs.

right, but Hartnell was never that type of player. he'd stand up for himself but he was never the guy who's looking for a fight. I could be wrong tho

I mean, he fought plenty. What I'm saying is McLeod isn't going to have a world of opponents anyway. So I'd rather have given that money to someone who can play hockey in the space between.

Archived