• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Cody McLeod to 1-Year/$750K Extension

Phil

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McLeod is neither good enough or bad enough to affect the lottery. The issue I have with this is that he's not good at hockey. I was all for adding toughness, but I wanted a one-year deal for someone who can actaully play, like Hartnell.

Agreed. Why even bother with this guy? He's useless.

I don't know. Either Gorton actually thinks he's a good player/presence who is worth having in the lineup, which is scary from a talent evaluation perspective, or perhaps he had no other options. Much as I wanted Hartnell or Winnik, they may not have wanted New York given where they are in their careers. It's hard to say. Regardless, I don't understand this. Not with Beleskey under contract. He can actually play hockey.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Maybe Hartnell follows? Is there some kind of Nashville connection?

I mean why? There's definitely better available. It's not a cost thing. I hope he doesn't make the team and is taken behind the shed to be put down. I really disliked what I saw from him last year. Even his fighting ability was bad.

Maybe Hartnell follows? Is there some kind of Nashville connection?

I mean why? There's definitely better available. It's not a cost thing. I hope he doesn't make the team and is taken behind the shed to be put down. I really disliked what I saw from him last year. Even his fighting ability was bad.

I'd argue the sole use for this signing is the "Who's protecting these kids?" argument. The Leafs carried Matt Martin for that; the Jets had Thorburn, the Predators carried McLeod for a few years for this sort of thing. You'd prefer the Alex Killorns, Antoine Roussells, etc of the world, but hey.

Not really something you think about in today's NHL, I guess, but still pretty standard practice.

I'd argue the sole use for this signing is the "Who's protecting these kids?" argument. The Leafs carried Matt Martin for that; the Jets had Thorburn, the Predators carried McLeod for a few years for this sort of thing. You'd prefer the Alex Killorns, Antoine Roussells, etc of the world, but hey.

Not really something you think about in today's NHL, I guess, but still pretty standard practice.

B-b-b-but he can't even fight anymore

I'd rather any one of the remaining guys. Fuck I'd rather that piece of shit Rinaldo.

Why not Mashinter, Stewart, Winnik, anyone?

Martin was huge deterrent especially from the press box. McLeod isn't going to deter shit, are we back in the late 70's? Nobody is afraid of this guy.

Making less than 900K?

Harmless. Whatever. We're going to be bad, may as well get some punches in.

That's not entirely true, though. It's financially irrelevant, but he's horrific in all three zones at, you know, playing hockey. If he ends up playing a good portion of games and ends up running shotgun to someone like Andersson, that's going to negatively impact Andersson's growth.

McLeod is neither good enough or bad enough to affect the lottery. The issue I have with this is that he's not good at hockey. I was all for adding toughness, but I wanted a one-year deal for someone who can actaully play, like Hartnell.

This. McLeod is bad at hockey. An odd 5 minute stint in the penalty box does nothing for this team. Any night he gets a sweater means a kid is not playing.

This. McLeod is bad at hockey. An odd 5 minute stint in the penalty box does nothing for this team. Any night he gets a sweater means a kid is not playing.

Moreover, it means whoever he is playing with is probably also gonna have a rough night carrying him around the ice.

How many times have you said to "embrace the tank"?

Embracing the tank ≠ saddling developing players with shitty players.

I'm all for strategic loss, but I don't want it coming at the cost of young players finding their best game.

Embracing the tank ≠ saddling developing players with shitty players.

I'm all for strategic loss, but I don't want it coming at the cost of young players finding their best game.

Sure, I don't want him on a line with Andersson either. But if Andersson is gonna be on the 4th line, I'd rather have him play 20+ a night in Hartford.

Beleskey - Nieves - McLoed 4th line. Problem solved.

Archived