• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2017-2018 SCF | Las Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs Washington Capitals (M1)

Who Wins the Cup?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Cup?

• Knights in 4
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Caps in 4
    • Caps in 5
    • Caps in 6
    • Caps in 7

In most cases it appears to be a cocktail of bitterness mixed with entitlement.

Pretty much. It's almost always followed by charges of "cheating" (the draft), and "being given" a good team. These are often the same folks who laughed at their roster coming out of the draft when the rest of the world was calling for them to be a lottery team.

The fact of the matter is, Vegas winning would be insane for hockey and the NHL. They've already set numerous records for a first-year expansion club. Winning a championship in year one would cement this moment in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before games 6 & 7 of the ECF I was convinced that whoever won would be chucked in to the Vegas grinder and spat out in 5. Now I?m not so sure.

This Caps team has found a gear I don?t think anybody predicted they had. They?re faster, younger and play harder than the previous teams that failed. And Ovi looks like a man on a mission.

I?m tempted to go Caps in 6 as well.

I?m wondering how wore down the Caps might be after both giving and receiving an awful lot of nasty hits and slapshot impacts.

I would not bet against Vegas, they seem to be so dialed-in offensively.

...but if Washington wins they will have done it the hard way, beating all kinds of teams and talents.

It?s a business and while that is obvious it doesn?t mean the leagues business interest is aligned with the fans interest. As a fan I want to see the best hockey possible. I want to see excellence when watching the best hockey league in the world. In the name of business the nhl has decided parity is the big money winner. Arguments can be made in favor of parity for sure but in my mind parity is just another way of saying mediocre. Vegas winning is the ultimate proof that the league by and large team by team is average. The fact that a bunch of unwanteds can take down the entire league without much resistance speaks volumes about the worth of other players and teams league wide.

I totally understand the high interest and that this is a great story for Vegas. For the nhl as a whole it makes every front office look like clowns and that yes a monkey can do their jobs. The owners look like they viewed the 500m split to be more important than winning if the cost of receiving that money was losing valuable assets.

The worst part of all this is that this story will lead to more expansion. While that is great for the league and their interests it does not align with mine. The talent will be watered down even more, the game will become even more vanilla. There are plenty of reasons for relocating a number of nhl franchises. That is what should happen for the integrity of the game. That should have been how Vegas was born. 500m said different. The integrity of the nhl cost 500m

Vegas winning is not my issue. Vegas existing as an expansion team is. The coyotes should be playing there.

And another thing. All the crap about the great atmosphere and the amazing interest in the city. No fucking shit. They went Wire to wire in first place and have lost 3 games in the playoffs. Let me see their atmosphere and interest when their franchise misses the playoffs for a decade. I’m sure the people in Vegas will stay loyal. It’s not like they have entertainment choices there.

I would root for the isles to beat them.

It?s a business and while that is obvious it doesn?t mean the leagues business interest is aligned with the fans interest. As a fan I want to see the best hockey possible. I want to see excellence when watching the best hockey league in the world. In the name of business the nhl has decided parity is the big money winner. Arguments can be made in favor of parity for sure but in my mind parity is just another way of saying mediocre. Vegas winning is the ultimate proof that the league by and large team by team is average. The fact that a bunch of unwanteds can take down the entire league without much resistance speaks volumes about the worth of other players and teams league wide.

I totally understand the high interest and that this is a great story for Vegas. For the nhl as a whole it makes every front office look like clowns and that yes a monkey can do their jobs. The owners look like they viewed the 500m split to be more important than winning if the cost of receiving that money was losing valuable assets.

The worst part of all this is that this story will lead to more expansion. While that is great for the league and their interests it does not align with mine. The talent will be watered down even more, the game will become even more vanilla. There are plenty of reasons for relocating a number of nhl franchises. That is what should happen for the integrity of the game. That should have been how Vegas was born. 500m said different. The integrity of the nhl cost 500m

Vegas winning is not my issue. Vegas existing as an expansion team is. The coyotes should be playing there.

I kind of see the point you're going for but I don't think it really applies.

I admittedly have only watched a handful of games but Vegas is a fast and fun team to watch. It's not like old expansion where teams are playing clutch and grab hockey like the Wild were doing for a decade.

Contrast that to the Capitals who basically trapped their way to the final in Game 6 vs Pitt and 7 vs TB.

Also to call them a team of unwanteds is pretty disingenuous. The expansion rules made sure teams had to to make tough choices and expose good players. I'd take a Neal, Perron, Theodore or Schmidt on my team. Even a Reilly Smith.

And another thing. All the crap about the great atmosphere and the amazing interest in the city. No fucking shit. They went Wire to wire in first place and have lost 3 games in the playoffs. Let me see their atmosphere and interest when their franchise misses the playoffs for a decade. I?m sure the people in Vegas will stay loyal. It?s not like they have entertainment choices there.

I would root for the isles to beat them.

I mean even the Blackhawks couldn't fill the rink and some games weren't even televised when they missed the playoffs for a decade.

Somebody asked for the argument against Vegas so I gave one. I’m really not very consumed by it because teams tanking for a decade to build talent isn’t a great look either. For sure my “rooting” which is very loose wording is because it just seems wrong that a “fan base” gets the ultimate thrill when there are fan base waiting 50 years or longer for the same.

Vegas winning isn’t the issue to me. Vegas winning does however make you second guess every supposed hockey Mind currently working a front office job. On a ranger note it makes me really question paying big money for ufas when obviously there is capable players obtainable currently wasting away in every Nhl organization. Vegas proves that cup or not at this point.

To a degree. However Vegas got to essentially pick players without having to give up and players or think about what's in their pipeline.

Also McPhee is a pretty good and well established GM. It's not like the front office and coach are rooks.

The only lesson to be learned really is that any team that plays hard and is committed to one goal can be successful.

Vegas winning is sort of like a team like the Kansas City Royals winning a championship. Basically nobody would care other than their extremely small base.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nobody cares who wins any championship except for their own fans. Yes, I?m sure Florida has more Ranger fans than Vegas fans, but it?s not consuming their state or major cities like it would here. Rooting for a certain team that?s left in the playoffs doesn?t mean you really care unless you?re rooting against a rival maybe. I?m sure Sharks and Ducks fans didn?t want to see the Kings win, but they were probably over it soon after.

Both are great stories - Ovi vs the cinderella team in its first year, just pick which story you like better.

I'm rooting for Ovechkin to finally get his Cup.

I give credit for the Caps for gritting things out, but they've had to fight tooth and nail to get through lesser teams in the East.

Vegas made one of the best teams in the league (Winnipeg) look impotent. They've demolished some great teams in the West. And I think they are heads and shoulders above the Caps.

I think Vegas is going to take this in 5 games, and they are going to continue their steamroll to the Cup. Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great series.

Both are great stories - Ovi vs the cinderella team in its first year, just pick which story you like better.

I give credit for the Caps for gritting things out, but they've had to fight tooth and nail to get through lesser teams in the East.

Vegas made one of the best teams in the league (Winnipeg) look impotent. They've demolished some great teams in the West. And I think they are heads and shoulders above the Caps.

I think Vegas is going to take this in 5 games, and they are going to continue their steamroll to the Cup. Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great series.

I wouldn't call Pittsburgh and Tampa "lesser"...

I'm excited as fuck for this series. Many storylines.

- Ovi's first cup appearance

- Vegas' inaugural season

- These two goalies

- The Vegas goalie thing at the beginning of the season (Subban, Legace)

- The Caps goalie thing at the beginning of the playoffs (Grubauer vs. Holtby)

- 4th to 1st liner Tom Wilson

I think:

1) You are rooting for Ovi to get his first cup.

2) You are rooting against Ovi to get his first cup.

3) You love the Vegas story and you want them to win the cup.

4) You hate the Vegas story and you want them to lose the cup.

Pick two. I'm 2 and 3. Fuck Ovi. Love Vegas. hahahhaa

This has been a season of great headlines. Look at what we end with.

I wouldn't call Pittsburgh and Tampa "lesser"...

Pittsburgh had Malkin and Kessel banged up, but they were definitely the best competition.

Stamkos and Kucherov became non-factors as the series went on, and the other lines didn't compensate. I guess you can give credit to Washington for shutting them down. Didn't see much from Miller/Girardi/Callahan except for shotblocking. McDonagh banged up as well.

In the West you have physical teams with talent - in the East it's usually physical OR talent.

Nashville, Winnipeg, etc are heads and shoulders above Pittsburgh, Tampa, and the rest of the East IMHO.

Somebody asked for the argument against Vegas so I gave one. I?m really not very consumed by it because teams tanking for a decade to build talent isn?t a great look either. For sure my ?rooting? which is very loose wording is because it just seems wrong that a ?fan base? gets the ultimate thrill when there are fan base waiting 50 years or longer for the same.

Vegas winning isn?t the issue to me. Vegas winning does however make you second guess every supposed hockey Mind currently working a front office job. On a ranger note it makes me really question paying big money for ufas when obviously there is capable players obtainable currently wasting away in every Nhl organization. Vegas proves that cup or not at this point.

Wow. The power of positive thinking.

Considering how each team is built and how they play, this series will go the distance. Knights in seven

Archived