• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keeping Track of Coaching Availabilities

skunkman

Flavor of the off season. Time will tell, there's some names out here that I think would be borderline comical. Going with a guy without a ton of experience and thrown into this market could be an absolute disaster. Gotta grab the popcorn sit back and see what happens.

Hardly. Phil and I were talking about him extensively here, many months ago. Eh, I think he can handle some strife based on his past experiences. Whoever coaches shouldn't be expected to be Al Arbour, at least not in his first year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol then you're either blind or ignorant. It was night and say when AV came in with the same players

Torts was completely incompetent with the Ranger offense

I think you've got a little revisionist history going.

Torts only had about 20 games with the roster AV inherited, and they scored at a better clip post deadline, IIRC.

There hasn't been a coach since the lockout who did more with less than that 2012 ECF team.

Hardly. Phil and I were talking about him extensively here, many months ago. Eh, I think he can handle some strife based on his past experiences. Whoever coaches shouldn't be expected to be Al Arbour, at least not in his first year.

Keefe? To call him inexperienced is disingenuous. He's doing this in Toronto, not Toledo. It may be the AHL, but he's already experienced the pressures of the big market. Leafs bloggers have been on about him for three years running, too.

I know you guys have been talking about him, he seems to be the popular choice based on a lot of other articles too. Rough market, a roster full of large holes and a rookie NHL coach is a tough task.

I mean, he is the popular choice. For good reason.

Here's the thing about experience... you can't gain it until someone gives you the opportunity.

I want a new face too! I loved Keenan for winning us the cup...and no one was more of an advocate of his style then me...ask anyone!

BUT

His shit won't fly here and we don't need a coach being the center of attention here. The game, and also the players are a shade different nowadays, and I wanna see a new guy get a chance to make his mark with this new generation of Rangers. I can't help feel very pumped up for the new regime, and I'm going to be #1 on the list of supporters for the kids we draft and the coach we hire going forward.

Rooting against this team to tank, and not even giving a shit about when we scored was really a shitty way to spend a season; Onward and upward with new faces, and a new spirit!

I think you've got a little revisionist history going.

Torts only had about 20 games with the roster AV inherited, and they scored at a better clip post deadline, IIRC.

There hasn't been a coach since the lockout who did more with less than that 2012 ECF team.

:worship:

Exactly. Admittedly, I am a Torts fanboy, but only because I respect the hell out of what he was able to accomplish here. He changed a loser culture with a no bullshit approach. His first day he screamed at media for stepping on the team logo in the lockerroom.

I know he rubbed some guys the wrong way (avery, hank, and others) but there's no denying his success here and the lasting change that was made. The "Black and Blueshirts" might be one of my favorite seasons of all time.

His firing seemed abrupt and shocked me honestly, but maybe it was time. Shitting on him post-partum seems wrong though.

Same with AV. There are a lot of things to say about AV but at the end of the day he had a winning record and that's what history remembers.

On to the next coach. The next style. The next chapter in history.

Speaking of onward and next chapter...

Anyone else with any feedback, recent info or opinions on Marco Sturm?

I'd think he'd be right up there with Keefe. He wants to get back to the NHL and the Rangers could learn something interviewing him. His unique experiences running an entire national program from GM and PD to coach reminds me of Herb Brooks. Obviously a friendlier more modern personality, who commands respect by listening, relating and working incessantly with the team and his love and commitment to the game. He also played about 15 years in the league and busted ass every shift.

All of our playoff success came from Glenny and AV! Now we had one bad season, AV is Gone! The Dolans have done the same thing with the Knicks, they are nothing and we will be as well before they are gone, especially if Sather leaves! Look at Sather's record of success in Edmonton AND he played with us, he was one of our tough players!

All of our playoff success came from Glenny and AV! Now we had one bad season, AV is Gone! The Dolans have done the same thing with the Knicks, they are nothing and we will be as well before they are gone, especially if Sather leaves! Look at Sather's record of success in Edmonton AND he played with us, he was one of our tough players!

Just not true, a really myopic representation of Ranger history

Eakins was the next big thing and got totally run out on a rail up there.

I'd bring him in for an interview.

i sometimes wonder if coaching in Edmonton is now approaching the same nightmare of coaching in Montreal. Seems like just too much external bullshit to put up with.

You got it Slobber. As bad as some coaches had it in Edm, no one got a more dysfunctional situation than Eakins. I remember listening to him on radio before and just after the dismissal? The whole thing was a clusterfuck. He was classy and insightful about the experience and remember thinking he will get another chance one day.

Bring him in.

EDit: I'm careful not to mention too much I hear on NHL radio these days, less I be damned (out of nowhere) by Mort of providing "my interpretation" instead of a freakin transcript.

:worship:

Exactly. Admittedly, I am a Torts fanboy, but only because I respect the hell out of what he was able to accomplish here. He changed a loser culture with a no bullshit approach. His first day he screamed at media for stepping on the team logo in the lockerroom.

I know he rubbed some guys the wrong way (Avery, hank, and others) but there's no denying his success here and the lasting change that was made. The "Black and Blueshirts" might be one of my favorite seasons of all time.

His firing seemed abrupt and shocked me honestly, but maybe it was time. Shitting on him post-partum seems wrong though.

Same with AV. There are a lot of things to say about AV but at the end of the day he had a winning record and that's what history remembers.

On to the next coach. The next style. The next chapter in history.

About Torts I have one name, Adam Henrique and for AV, John-Sebastian Pageau

Archived