• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keeping Track of Coaching Availabilities

skunkman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look up his records in the OHL and AHL. Read anything about his coaching. Just Google him.

I did, and I'm still not sure why people are talking like hes the top get. His teams never won championships. He hadn't produced any top prospects from the OHL (though he did coach a few Ranger prospects/players in DeAngelo, Sproul, Gettinger, and Halverson). Hes had decent Toronto prospects to use to have a nice winning record in the A. Im not sold. Hes hands on and thats great, bit he hasn't developed anything that wasn't already a sure thing. Imo hes getting way more chatter than he should be.

Excuse me, I was talking about the stretch of 2014-2017! Most of our playoff failures did come from coaching, are you happy about that? I'm not!

players are responsible for a team’s performance on the ice. a gm assembles the squad, the coach has a system and can help with matchups, but the teams on the ice determine the result. we just didn’t perform well enough on the ice. do you want to blame the 3 ot losses in the stanley cup finals on the gm or the coach?

players are responsible for a team’s performance on the ice. a gm assembles the squad, the coach has a system and can help with matchups, but the teams on the ice determine the result. we just didn’t perform well enough on the ice. do you want to blame the 3 ot losses in the stanley cup finals on the gm or the coach?

Coach wins in a landslide here.

I agree with your point. This team has been short on talent for years, carried by an elite goalie that masked a lot of shortcomings. Now it's time to pay up and in a big way.

I did, and I'm still not sure why people are talking like hes the top get. His teams never won championships. He hadn't produced any top prospects from the OHL (though he did coach a few Ranger prospects/players in DeAngelo, Sproul, Gettinger, and Halverson). Hes had decent Toronto prospects to use to have a nice winning record in the A. Im not sold. Hes hands on and thats great, bit he hasn't developed anything that wasn't already a sure thing. Imo hes getting way more chatter than he should be.

Hey dude. I may have posted this harder to find article (from 3/27/15), when Phil mentioned Keefe in early winter. It is a worthwhile read and demonstrates his ability to overcome diversity and become a grounded adult and teacher of young men. At my age and having hired managers, I found it insightful (maybe combined with other things I know about him) with regard to why his personality may lead to stable success and an ability to relate, yet be tough on his players. He's been focused on developing young players, up-to-speed with analytics and all the tools available today and has put in his time, big time.

Here's a short piece, over 2 years old, discussing Keefe being charged with developing a bunch of the kids we are watching tonight.

I like him because he fits a very young team that needs fresh ideas. He is progressive, but wants to teach kids the game, not analytics. He holds them accountable and tries to provide an edge for his players. He/we can also steal a few ideas from a now good organization in Toronto. He's hungry, ready and built to last. That's my assessment, having not interviewed him myself. :)

I agree with your point. This team has been short on talent for years, carried by an elite goalie that masked a lot of shortcomings. Now it's time to pay up and in a big way.

i wouldn’t blame either the coach or the gm for an ot loss. one team is the first to have a shot find it’s way to the back of a net.

Fuck, I'm trying to get all you guys to think forward.

We all have our pain. I'm watching Stralman paired with McD, fuck Sather. Holy shit Taylor Hall just got the Taylor Halls back in the game.

Forget Torts, AV, Renney, Kennan and let's be interesting and think about the present and future.

babcock is generally regarded as an upper echelon coach. detroit won cups while he was coach, toronto hasn’t won any under him. is this because: 1 he was a better coach in detroit or 2 his team performed better in the playoffs in detroit

babcock is generally regarded as an upper echelon coach. detroit won cups while he was coach, toronto hasn’t won any under him. is this because: 1 he was a better coach in detroit or 2 his team performed better in the playoffs in detroit

ut oh. Fletch you trying to derail us? Umm, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk? Oops. Babcock is super, which is why Keefe is available. The Leafs could have added like the Bruins and Tampa did, but they have no pussies. They don't deserve to win this series, but we need them to.

fuckin Kadri. multi-game for that kinda blow to the head against the boards.

Can we talk HC candidates? Why hasn't Ruff been canned yet? Is he gonna be our young coaches mentor? Hopefully only if he wants him.

my point is ultimately talented teams win cups. a lot of coaches could have taken gretzky’s oilers or lemieux’s penguins or yzerman’s red wings to cups. when we have better players and players that perform better in the playoffs our coach is going to look a lot smarter, no matter who it is.

True for the most part. Could anyone coach Crosby to do that shit last night?

Whatever we do, I do hope we eliminate system coaches or guys married to systems.

Or someone who needs to change lines every period, overcoaching nonsense, dismissing chemistry.

Or the guy who pulls the star goalie after 1 goal. Remember that? Screw that asshole.

Or someone who can't build toward the playoffs and being successful there. Not just making it.

Edit: the last one requires good mgmt/drafting too.

my point is ultimately talented teams win cups. a lot of coaches could have taken gretzky’s oilers or lemieux’s penguins or yzerman’s red wings to cups. when we have better players and players that perform better in the playoffs our coach is going to look a lot smarter, no matter who it is.

3 examples of a completely different league. Also, no, not every coach can win with super talented teams. Crosby’s Pens proved that on 2 different occasions. Boudreau has had some seriously talented teams and never won. AV had more talented teams in Vancouver and never won.

3 examples of a completely different league. Also, no, not every coach can win with super talented teams. Crosby’s Pens proved that on 2 different occasions. Boudreau has had some seriously talented teams and never won. AV had more talented teams in Vancouver and never won.

Ha ha , Boudreau was the reason I said for the most part.

I too am not convinced that AV can win it all w/o an absolute powerhouse lineup.

Hey dude. I may have posted this harder to find article (from 3/27/15), when Phil mentioned Keefe in early winter. It is a worthwhile read and demonstrates his ability to overcome diversity and become a grounded adult and teacher of young men. At my age and having hired managers, I found it insightful (maybe combined with other things I know about him) with regard to why his personality may lead to stable success and an ability to relate, yet be tough on his players. He's been focused on developing young players, up-to-speed with analytics and all the tools available today and has put in his time, big time.

Here's a short piece, over 2 years old, discussing Keefe being charged with developing a bunch of the kids we are watching tonight.

I like him because he fits a very young team that needs fresh ideas. He is progressive, but wants to teach kids the game, not analytics. He holds them accountable and tries to provide an edge for his players. He/we can also steal a few ideas from a now good organization in Toronto. He's hungry, ready and built to last. That's my assessment, having not interviewed him myself. :)

Nice story.

With that being said, he hasn't won and hasnt produced a top prospect from the OHL. Has had sure things stroll through the A, has an excellent winning percentage, yet Has. Not. Won. Maybe he wins this year. That might change my opinion, especially since he doesn't have Nylander and Kapanan and Dermot.

Maybe as a stepping stone, its a good idea, but I'm not tying the wagon to him as a definite long term option. If it works out? Great. Maybe hes an option as an assistant?

On another note, Ruff still being here is weird. Its gotta be a Drury connection thing. Hes either being relocated within the organization at another position, or they want him to stay as an assistant. While i don't mind Ruff, if he stays as an assistant, and is forced onto the next coach, that doesn't bode well. It also is bothersome in that Drury is pulling favors for his buddies. Thats an old Sather type problem.

Nice story.

With that being said, he hasn't won and hasnt produced a top prospect from the OHL. Has had sure things stroll through the A, has an excellent winning percentage, yet Has. Not. Won. Maybe he wins this year. That might change my opinion, especially since he doesn't have Nylander and Kapanan and Dermot.

Maybe as a stepping stone, its a good idea, but I'm not tying the wagon to him as a definite long term option. If it works out? Great. Maybe hes an option as an assistant?

On another note, Ruff still being here is weird. Its gotta be a Drury connection thing. Hes either being relocated within the organization at another position, or they want him to stay as an assistant. While i don't mind Ruff, if he stays as an assistant, and is forced onto the next coach, that doesn't bode well. It also is bothersome in that Drury is pulling favors for his buddies. Thats an old Sather type problem.

You've literally fabricated this entire scenario.

Archived