• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sam Rosen ? May As Well Go "Full Rebuild"?

Ozzy

I disagree - and I like the guy. But some games especially this year I would swear he's calling the game by watching on his iphone with one eye closed. I don't think in any job if your performance continues to decline over time (as Sam's has imo) do you ever earn the right to leave on your terms, eventually you run out of rope and management makes a change. They have a few better options in house already and I think at this point Sam does negatively impact the experience of watching the game.
Except in entertainment. Look at Chico Resch.

Look at Dick Clark.

Look at Ralph Kiner.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except in entertainment. Look at Chico Resch.

Look at Dick Clark.

Look at Ralph Kiner.

yep - doesn't make it right to me. Chico was a clown show for years and then they brought him back to do radio. Pretty sure MSG makes the calls on the broadcasters or so the Devils fan base says anyway. Clark was just physically painful to watch, Kiner just put me to sleep.

Sam is the voice of the Rangers. I don't care if he get's every name and play wrong, his voice reminds me of being a kid. Rangers will not and should not force him out. He can leave whenever he wants.

Similar to John Sterling -- who calls a slow sport on RADIO and gets at least 3 major plays messed up per game -- I don't want them to ever retire.

This- guy is a legend. No way he gets taken off the air unless he decides he wants to himself.

No disdain intended here, just a simple fact of "there comes a time...", and I think it's come time to get a new voice of the Rangers. Sam's had his go of it now and I just think that next season may be a very good time to usher in a whole new look, feel, AND sound of this franchise.

Let's face it; We've dumped players, hopefully the coach sooner than later, and Sam has lost a bit of his magic up in the booth.

Legend? Sure, fine..no argument

Voice of the Rangers? Icon? yup....agreed

Time to move forward??

YES....Let's! I think we can find some magic out there. We're going to need it for the next 3 seasons.

The announcers have nothing to do with the team. Just because you're rebuilding the team doesn't need you rebuild the broadcast.

That's 100% right...but I'm bored with it. I'd like to see another announcer get a break and give it a go. Just my feeling on it, man. Just thinking the timing is right to do a complete "Re-surfacing" of this team.

I grew up listening to Sam and J.D. Miss J.D.

But just the other night he called out the wrong opposing team. I think the Rangers were playing Buffalo and he called them Minnesota. And now i've almost trained my ears to listen for goal post dings when Sam says the shot was wide, or blocked.

Still don't care. Guy's in the HOF for broadcasters. Rangers stink now anyway.

but if you're going to switch, bring up Albert. I think he must have a winning record calling games. Gotta love that.

Holy Shit! I miss JD!!!

That guy was the coolest dude I ever met;

I was hanging around with a bunch of the guys after a game one night back in the mid/late 80's and we use to hang around the old "Park & Lock" because we would run into Jan Erixon who used to exit on that side of MSG along with a few of the other players and we'd stock up on autographs...

Anyway, after about an hour JD comes out the door laughing and joking....and he's funny as hell! He hung around with us for about 20 minutes talking Rangers, Toronto, Chicago...fucking guy seemingly knew EVERYTHING about every team. He was absolutely one of best hockey guys, and nicest dude you could ever meet. After that night, every time we'd see him around the Play by Play we'd say hi and the guy always acknowledged us!

...shit man, I wished he would have been our GM here. He's a brilliant hockey guy in my opinion. Just the shit he told us way back when; like he was a fortune teller!

Loved JD as well. was sitting in my office one day and heard that he was in the hospital having surgery on his ankle. bet my co workers i could call him and get through and sure enough i called and he picked up. I asked him if he took a puck off the instep and he replied wish i did. introduced myself and we talked for 20 minutes.

great dude.

Loved JD as well. was sitting in my office one day and heard that he was in the hospital having surgery on his ankle. bet my co workers i could call him and get through and sure enough i called and he picked up. I asked him if he took a puck off the instep and he replied wish i did. introduced myself and we talked for 20 minutes.

great dude.

He definitely strikes me as the type guy who would answer the phone and chat with ya!

Kocur was also one of the cooler guys around...one night we caught him coming out with Probert after a Red Wings/Rangers game. Those guys were always tight, even after Joey got dealt here. Probert was fucking amazingly cool, and talked to us for a while outside. He made fun of us and called us a bunch of pussies compared to Joe Louis Arena fans!!! ....made me piss myself!

Miss that guy!

NOOOOO!!!! Never replace Sam. I don't care if he starts calling Henrik Brodeur by accident. He's the voice I grew up with, and as far as I'm concerned, he's got a lifelong contract until he decides to end it on his terms.

Plus, while I would LOVE Kenny Albert to be the replacement, we all know they've been grooming Giannone for it. That's who we're gonna get saddled with, so I'd hang on to Sam for dear life until we can't anymore.

NOOOOO!!!! Never replace Sam. I don't care if he starts calling Henrik Brodeur by accident. He's the voice I grew up with, and as far as I'm concerned, he's got a lifelong contract until he decides to end it on his terms.

Plus, while I would LOVE Kenny Albert to be the replacement, we all know they've been grooming Giannone for it. That's who we're gonna get saddled with, so I'd hang on to Sam for dear life until we can't anymore.

Ugh fuck no, Giannone is awful.

I really think the job is probably Giannone's when Sam leaves, which is awful. Not only is the natural cadence off, the voice is completely wrong for it too. He could be screaming bloody murder when they score a goal and it's still not louder or any more exciting than Joe Micheletti's regular speaking tone. JG is a nice guy (met him in person at Monmouth Park Racetrack one summer a few years back), but he's just not meant for the gig. I wouldn't even want him doing color commentary.

This. Fuck Giannone. That guy has been here too long, as well as Trautwig. They're waiting for Sams job or something else. I can't stand them,

Sam deserves the Messier treatment. Hes the Rangers Ralph Kiner. Here until he dies, even if he has absolutely no clue what hes saying.

Archived