• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#68) Wolf Pack at Tampa Bay Lightning // Awkward Family Reunion Pt. 1

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All things considered this could have been worse

I'm not one for tanking as it makes the team unwatchable, but I really do think it might be in our best interest given how insanely good the draft class is this season. Any of the projected top 5 picks this in this draft may have gone 1st overall in a weaker draft. We land a guy like Boqvist and our defense will look very different in just a year or two. If we get even luckier a guy like Zadina or Svechnikov will completely revamp this offense.

Sadly, knowing the Rangers we'll probably move down and end up reaching for someone again

our drafting has actually been real good the past 10 years considering the lack of picks and the fact that we were always in playoffs. The only guy we "reached" for was mcilrath which was a head scratcher at the time.

All things considered this could have been worse

I'm not one for tanking as it makes the team unwatchable, but I really do think it might be in our best interest given how insanely good the draft class is this season. Any of the projected top 5 picks this in this draft may have gone 1st overall in a weaker draft. We land a guy like Boqvist and our defense will look very different in just a year or two. If we get even luckier a guy like Zadina or Svechnikov will completely revamp this offense.

Sadly, knowing the Rangers we'll probably move down and end up reaching for someone again

I don't think the rangers will trade down for extra pick,if anything they will move up to get in the top five

our drafting has actually been real good the past 10 years considering the lack of picks and the fact that we were always in playoffs. The only guy we "reached" for was mcilrath which was a head scratcher at the time.

This is false. The Rangers have been absolutely mediocre when it comes to drafting. It's carryover from when they were actually good at it. They're bottom of the league when it comes to having picks develop into players.

This is false. The Rangers have been absolutely mediocre when it comes to drafting. It's carryover from when they were actually good at it. They're bottom of the league when it comes to having picks develop into players.

i mean its not like i said they were great at it. I meant when they had firsts they usually did ok. Kreider in 09 miller in 11 and Skjei in 2012. I think you misunderstood what i meant

i mean its not like i said they were great at it. I meant when they had firsts they usually did ok. Kreider in 09 miller in 11 and Skjei in 2012. I think you misunderstood what i meant

Weren't you just bashing Miller in another thread?

You said they've done well considering the lack of draft picks. The Rangers have had two firsts in the last five years. Why are we only judging them on their ability to draft in the first round where it's objectively the easiest to get guaranteed NHL talent? Even if we want to judge them on first rounders over the last ten years you get Del Zotto, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei, Andersson and Chytil. Maybe Chytil and Andersson will change things up, but they mostly swing and miss by trying to outsmart everyone else. In most other areas of the draft they've been awful. A Buchnevich every now and then doesn't make you good if the only other prospects you can produce are more Jesper Fasts and Boo Nieves.

You said they've done well considering the lack of draft picks. The Rangers have had two firsts in the last five years. Why are we only judging them on their ability to draft in the first round where it's objectively the easiest to get guaranteed NHL talent? Even if we want to judge them on first rounders over the last ten years you get Del Zotto, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei, Andersson and Chytil. Maybe Chytil and Andersson will change things up, but they mostly swing and miss by trying to outsmart everyone else. In most other areas of the draft they've been awful. A Buchnevich every now and then doesn't make you good if the only other prospects you can produce are more Jesper Fasts and Boo Nieves.

Think of the picks left on the table.

DZ...Eberle/Carlson on the table

Kreider...Not a bad pick.

McIlrath...Tarasenko/Schwartz/Fowler

Miller...Rikard Rackell (and Namestnikov LOL)

Skjei...Not a bad pick, late.

I mean if you put any of the forwards we left out there on this team today, we are a much better team. Especially Eberle (instead of DZ who netted us an early retiree) and Tarasenko.

I mean if you put any of the forwards we left out there on this team today, we are a much better team. Especially Eberle (instead of DZ who netted us an early retiree) and Tarasenko.

Sanguinetti isntead of Giroux. Actually that's a good pick. Sanguinetti is a fuckin Olympian!

That's pretty much how I see it. 2009 and 2012 weren't good drafts so it's actually surprising they came out with decent 1st round picks. 2008 was the holy grail of defensive drafts and they came out with Del Zotto.

The one I bolded makes me the most mad. This would be a very different team if the drafted Tarasenko. DZ I didn't have an issue with, my issue with him is how they rushed him into the league and then shit on him when he made mistakes. He needed a year or 2 in Hartford.

Del Zotto probably needed more development time, but the Rangers probably thought he could be more than he actually was. I imagine his numbers were inflated by playing with Tavares who was wrecking shop down in the OHL. I'm not too familiar, though. I wasn't following prospects much at 11.

Del Zotto probably needed more development time, but the Rangers probably thought he could be more than he actually was. I imagine his numbers were inflated by playing with Tavares who was wrecking shop down in the OHL. I'm not too familiar, though. I wasn't following prospects much at 11.

You're on the right path. It's even deeper than that. He was initially hyped out of Bantam because before Tavares he was tied to Stamkos in Minor Hockey.

You're on the right path. It's even deeper than that. He was initially hyped out of Bantam because before Tavares he was tied to Stamkos in Minor Hockey.

I think he was on his way to being a Tomas Kaberle type player, but there was no McCabe for him after Kotexleak shit the bed.

He was good at finding open guys on the PP. No one else really was. It wasn't brain surgery, but he was the only one doing it.

He also had off-ice issues, obvi.

Archived