• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Price Set for Nash and Grabner

Fatfrancesa

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no reason what so ever to net get atleast a first for each. I could see Tampa going for one of them, what about Boston? Penguins likes to be buyers, Vegas (as Winter said) has to go for it now.

two 1st, 2nd, a prospect and a roaster player would be my guess (for both). That would be a huge addition going into the draft and next season. Thats five 1st in two years and we still got Zucc, McD if we want to tear it all up. Could easily end up with a top 5 pick and 2-3 more 1st to go with it.

Perhaps some of those 1st rounders will be for 2019, though. I really think many teams are rating the 2018 draft class and perhaps that could make it an easier pill to swallow. The upside for the Rangers is then that the Stars' or Knights' or Bruins' 1st round pick in 2019 could be a lottery pick for all we know. I think it would be wise to spread out the picks a little bit, although the 2018 class is very attractive.

The big lure of the 2018 class is obviously Dahlin. But I can't see any team willing to trade away the 1st overall pick post-lottery, so the best shot at getting Dahlin is clearly to tank hard and go for 5th or 6th-last and a 6-8% chance.

Oh Lord, please Lord......just ONCE can we get a generational talent ala McDavid and Eichel. Yeah I know, we have been very fortunate getting Hank and stealing McD. For that bit of luck, we have been raped numerous times.

Question, wouldn't it best serve our Rangers to trade either to a team on the "bubble" in hopes they don't make the PO's and add that extra "percentage" should we also not make it? In hopes of landing Dahlin?

Another question ......even if we somehow DID get #1, is it a given to pick Dahlin? There are others maybe better suited for our team? Just asking.

Brooks was also on Sportsnet saying that the rangers want assets that near nhl ready.

Where did Brooks get that? Doesn't it seem like he has to one up every reporter and presents info that makes him seem more informed (he's such an insider and Ranger players and mgmt love talking to him) than Drury. I guess 1st round picks are near ready for the NHL.

i'd take Brannstrom and vegas 1st for one and i think Vegas would too. they have to go for it at this point?

Love it. Brannstrom or Suzuki. But they were the the 13th and 15th selections in this past draft. Unfortunately Brannstrom and a 1st is basically two firsts for Nash. I don't think McPhee does this. The return on Grabs will probably be less than Nash.

It makes sense to me. They don't want a five year rebuild.

Getting such assets serves two purposes. 1) They're closer to contributing and 2) They're much more projectable.

Sure it makes sense. You think someone in the decision making said this to Brooks?

It makes sense to me. They don't want a five year rebuild.

Getting such assets serves two purposes. 1) They're closer to contributing and 2) They're much more projectable.

And we have to be careful there. For instance Tampa has Howden, Foote and Raddysh that are much less ready than Joseph, Stevens and Volkov. Which 3 prospects would you choose? They are all ranked in their top 8 prospects and none of them are sure things.

Here are some of 2017's draft choices that interested me.

Heiskanen - D Dallas 3rd overall (I assume there is no way to get him for Nash straight-up)

Cale Makar - D Avs 4th overall (Love him, assume the same as Heiskanen)

Cody Glass - C Vegas 6th (likely not trading him)

Gabe Vilardi - C LA 11th

Nick Suzuki - C Vegas 13th

Cal Foote - D Tampa 14th

Brannstrom - D Vegas 15th

Valimaki - D Calgary 16th

Liljegren - D Toronto 17th (How's he doing? Would you prefer Dermott or Liljegren?)

Vaakanainen - D Boston 18th

Josh Norris - C SJ 19th (is he killing it at Mich?)

Robert Thomas - C St Louis 20th (This is important, St Louis has no 1st this year, they also selected Klim Kostin 31st)

And one for Phil

Eeli Tolvanen - Scoring winger Nashville 30th (Phil, Tolvanen and their 1st for Nash?)

Nashville is happy with Tolvanen's play this year in the KHL. What fall from grace Drew? I thought he was playing well, has 2 hat tricks, what's up?

I can't remember any draft in years past that has even come remotely close to the amount of talent in this one. I just hope we don't blow this up, and make bad decisions with our choices as to what to settle for. I don't remember any better chance for this team to rip it up and start fairly clean with a new sheet of paper.

Obviously we have to take what we can get, but I hope they opt for high 2018 picks rather than some team's "hopeful" prospect....unless it's one of those "can't miss" variety.

The issue here is this. Just like the past draft the rangers had this mindset. They passed on Mittelstadt and suzuki and took Andersson because he’s more nhl ready. While I like Andersson and he’s no slouch, the other two have much higher upside. Mittelstadt in particular is going to be a special offensive talent. It’s really to bad he’s not in our pipeline people here would be falling over themselves about his future and rightfully so.

My biggest take here is that rangers are finally acting like their peers. They are making hockey decisions rather than rash financial ones compounded with the stigma of playing in nyc. They are rightfully assessing their roster and going into rebuild mode. Now they can’t have it both ways. Rebuilds require some pain and you can’t force it. Talent should be judged in that spectrum alone. You can’t defer to a lesser player because the lesser player might be on your team a year or two earlier. You hire and pay your scouts to find the talent. Trust them. Take the best players available whether in the draft or in trade deals. They need everything and when gathering talent if you have a surplus somewhere you can always trade from that strength. Just please please don’t make moves because of next year. It’s going to take more than a year to fix this

Here are some of 2017's draft choices that interested me.

Heiskanen - D Dallas 3rd overall (I assume there is no way to get him for Nash straight-up)

Cale Makar - D Avs 4th overall (Love him, assume the same as Heiskanen)

Cody Glass - C Vegas 6th (likely not trading him)

Gabe Vilardi - C LA 11th

Nick Suzuki - C Vegas 13th

Cal Foote - D Tampa 14th

Brannstrom - D Vegas 15th

Valimaki - D Calgary 16th

Liljegren - D Toronto 17th (How's he doing? Would you prefer Dermott or Liljegren?)

Vaakanainen - D Boston 18th

Josh Norris - C SJ 19th (is he killing it at Mich?)

Robert Thomas - C St Louis 20th (This is important, St Louis has no 1st this year, they also selected Klim Kostin 31st)

And one for Phil

Eeli Tolvanen - Scoring winger Nashville 30th (Phil, Tolvanen and their 1st for Nash?)

Nashville is happy with Tolvanen's play this year in the KHL. What fall from grace Drew? I thought he was playing well, has 2 hat tricks, what's up?

Fall from grace in terms of the draft. He went from being a top 10 pick to the 30th pretty much in the span of three weeks. Merkley has been on a steady descent since like November because of attitude concerns. He's probably the mosty dynamic defenseman not named Dahl?n or Boqvist.

I'd also take Liljegren over Dermott.

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

I attached a link to TSN latest report of the top 50. Tolvanen is ranked #2 overall, so I think he's doing ok. There are some Rangers there so that is good.

Also, if 2019 picks are what the Rangers acquire then so be it. This draft is stacked for sure but 2019 does have kid named Jack Hughes, brother of Quinn, who's a center and supposed "next one"

Somebody did ask if Dahlin would be the Rangers best pick if they chose #1. Yes, under no circumstances will he not be the first overall pick. Hasn't been a better prospect at defense coming out in a draft since Hedman and Dahlin rates higher. He is without any doubt the cream of this crop.

It is possible the best player in the 2017 draft turns out to be Casey Mittelstadt selected 8th (just after we selected Lias), by Buff. He's been beastly and you can see some Tavares in him. The Sabres may have really lucked out here.

It's tough to take that the Rangers passed on him because Andersson was deemed no the better prospect but more ready. The Rangers selected Andersson to play this year and he wasn't ready anyway. On a positive note at least they didn't compound that mistake and rush him anyway. Andersson will be fine but Mittelstadt has that talent you just don't trade for.

The issue here is this. Just like the past draft the rangers had this mindset. They passed on Mittelstadt and glass and took Andersson because he’s more nhl ready. While I like Andersson and he’s no slouch, the other two have much higher upside. Mittelstadt in particular is going to be a special offensive talent. It’s really to bad he’s not in our pipeline people here would be falling over themselves about his future and rightfully so.

Missed this post, but you are spot on. I was worried about his skating, then I saw him dominate and play like Tavares. I'm afraid we really missed out. Glass was selected just before our pick.

My biggest take here is that rangers are finally acting like their peers. They are making hockey decisions rather than rash financial ones compounded with the stigma of playing in nyc. They are rightfully assessing their roster and going into rebuild mode. Now they can’t have it both ways. Rebuilds require some pain and you can’t force it. Talent should be judged in that spectrum alone. You can’t defer to a lesser player because the lesser player might be on your team a year or two earlier. You hire and pay your scouts to find the talent. Trust them. Take the best players available whether in the draft or in trade deals. They need everything and when gathering talent if you have a surplus somewhere you can always trade from that strength. Just please please don’t make moves because of next year. It’s going to take more than a year to fix this

Amen and absolutely. I'd say err on the side of upside. There are safe picks and riskier picks with upside. Sometimes the safe pick has such a complete 200' game (ala Bergeron) that it is hard to pass up. But not when you have a shot at a real star. I say go for it.

Besides the safer versus riskier upside pick, you mentioned what the Rangers really need to avoid. Choosing the prospect that is more NHL ready over the better player in the long term. Sure, sometimes the guys further along might be turning into sure NHLers, making the younger guy more risky. Yet, here is where we need to gamble on upside. We need to find that top pair Dman and a top line forward/C.

Now when it comes to trading McD, I do want to see a proven kid star in return. But let's not let that scuttle this conversation.

Yeah, I get it, but all mentioned are further along than a the 30th overall pick.

Yeah, but don't we want that pick too? Especially since we can't mention Sergachev or Point. So stingy.

Howden, Foote and a 1st for Nash + a 4th

Dunny, why is Katchouk rated lower than most of the others we've mentioned?

Archived