• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Price Set for Nash and Grabner

Fatfrancesa

Who the fuck is Russ Cohen?

He does Hockey Prospect Radio on Sirius XM, I think the show is on the weekend, I'll catch it driving around. He's really informative discussing prospects and kids who are not in the NHL. He was also the most tuned-in to the way expansion rules for Vegas were going to work.

I'm hoping he is just giving opinion based on a couple of GMs because I'm not having any of that...'this is the strongest draft in 10 years, waaaaa, we need to protect our picks, how about 2019' bullshit.

God damnit this is not going to be the year GMs pull back from trading a #1 for a star rental. I'm having none of that crap. Hope Gorton is scanning the field to assesss which GMs are going to refuse to deal their first and plan accordingly. Jim Nill said something about not wanting to trade his #1. Gorton needs to be talking to all of Dallas's competition to quell that kind of proclamation and move offers higher.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it’s pretty obvious that trading for a 2019 first would not be well received by fans. I wouldn’t love that either but the only way I’d accept that if I’m Gorton is that it cannot be protected. If they want to protect their 2028 pick then fine but I’m not waiting another year for a late first round pick. Also if it’s protected there is a chance that it turns into a 2020 pick if that team is in the lottery. 2019 does have a supposed generational center in Jack Hughes. So if not protected maybe that’s not a terrible thing

Russ Cohen on Sirius this morning said that he doesn’t believe Nash will get a first back for 2018. Not sure where he got that from. He said that a protected 2019 first rounder would be more likely. Not sure I agree with him but expectations for the returns on Nash and grabner should probably be tempered

Couple of things. We have to find the few teams that are serious. As much as I'm afraid of Yzerman, he's been pretty public about being all-in. Feels similar for Nashville. Outside of those two teams I do not trust other GMs to have the balls to bet on their team in a big way. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe the Pens?

The Ranger personnel pessimist in me says I better temper expectations. My dad would say, hope for the best, expect the worst.

Right now I really wish Yzerman was our GM. Or Shanny our President. Maximizing our returns needs savy navigation.

Did anyone see the press conference? Sather is still far too involved. They almost did not seem exactly on the same page. This duo has been outsmarted before, including the off season that led to Sather pushing himself upstairs.

Even more disheartening was a Dolan interview at the end of last season (mostly about the Knicks) referring to Sather as the guy running the Rangers The interview is on You Tube, and frankly my jaw dropped. I've been worried that Gorton got the title so the Rangers didn't lose him. He certainly has even more responsibilities, but I'm afraid that Sather can always impede progress or intervene whenever he has a strong opinion.

So, I'm gonna proceed as if smart people are working tireslessly to unearth the right deals. The future is best served by acquiring a couple of great prospects and hopefully 2 more first rounders. We have Nash, Grabs and McD to achieve this and obviously a 3rd or 4th for Holden.

The goal of this isn't a five year rebuild, if the pick isn't in this draft the FO isn't likely to be interested.

I'd prefer to extract previously drafted and more projectable assets anyways.

Damn straight.

Though this draft is strong enough to pay sweet dividends. We need to trust our scouting this year. Combined with our own potentially high pick, a basket of picks could give us the flexibility to move around or up to get a true impact player.

Basically it is up to the acquirer. Give us your #1 pick or the equivalent prospect who has exceeded expectations.

Also, agree regarding Zuc and McD. The issue is that a GM who values this year and next will get 2 playoff runs from the player, so the incentive to act is higher, therefore the returns "should" be greater. However, if the interest or return is not of equal value, you are right. We are not forced to move anyone and that message should be clear when Gorton is on a one-to-one phone call.

+1

I think we'll get a first on Nash, and then some, for sure. But I think we're going to be disappointed in what the rebuild looks like at the deadline.

Maybe we should be trying to find a #1 for Grabs ASAP and pull the trigger on a straight Grabs for a 2018 #1 to the first team that is game. There may only be a couple of teams willing to trade their #1 and we have to get one for Grabs before Buff or whoever else acts. Also, rather not wait around for Buff to get more realistic about Kane's return.

Maybe we should be trying to find a #1 for Grabs ASAP and pull the trigger on a straight Grabs for a 2018 #1 to the first team that is game. There may only be a couple of teams willing to trade their #1 and we have to get one for Grabs before Buff or whoever else acts. Also, rather not wait around for Buff to get more realistic about Kane's return.

Nobody is going to do that this far before the deadline. Teams are going to wait and see what the rest of the sellers choose to do - i.e. if Kane's price comes down to a second, they aren't going to give a first for Grabner.

This is a bad market to be a seller in. I just don't think there are many teams who are going to be willing to get into a bidding war, and there are a bunch of assets available.

Nobody is going to do that this far before the deadline. Teams are going to wait and see what the rest of the sellers choose to do - i.e. if Kane's price comes down to a second, they aren't going to give a first for Grabner.

This is a bad market to be a seller in. I just don't think there are many teams who are going to be willing to get into a bidding war, and there are a bunch of assets available.

There is risk in not knowing what you want and fucking around. You run the risk of losing your target to someone else, if you wait. If the guy you like is performing well, better consider acting. It never hurts to integrate a player sooner to increase their chances of making an impact.

I think Grabs is a terrific mid season addition. He fits into so many spaces up and down the lineup, makes his own offense, fast, great defender and PKer. His linemates are not critical to his success and no team needs to move salary to make room for him.

If Gorton gets what he perceives as a fair deal, do it. If the value is a first round pick then if somebody offers one take it and move on.

Let just say the Rangers get 1's for Grab and Nash would it be for this year's draft or next year? Also, again, if they get 2 firsts plus there own for a total of 3 number 1's would it be enough to trade to get the number 1 overall ?

Let just say the Rangers get 1's for Grab and Nash would it be for this year's draft or next year? Also, again, if they get 2 firsts plus there own for a total of 3 number 1's would it be enough to trade to get the number 1 overall ?

Who knows, but I would like to think they are holding the line for this years draft. Objectively, someone has to be offering a 2018 #1 for Grabs. He fits anywhere quite easily, guarenteed to contribute defensively and on PK and does not need immediate linemate chemistry to produce offense.

Nobody who gets the #1 overall pick is trading it. Even for three #1's and roster players. Dahlin is certain to jump right into the NHL and be a factor.

However, Brady Tkachuk should go around 4th or 5th, he'd be an awesome target. Use one of our extra picks and later picks we accumulate, to move up for him.

There's so much hype around Dahlin I'm getting a little weary. Total guess on my part but I bet he's closer to Noah Hanifin than Karlsson.

Yuck. Not big on Noah, no way he is not twice the prospect. The Karlsson comparisons are unfortunate. Not quite as bad as McJesus being compared to Gretzsky, but McJ is already the best player in the game, so there's that.

Ignore the hype, he is good. No need to worry or even think about it. Whoever wins the lottery will draft him first. Even Chirelli wouldn't be stupid enough to trade him.

Archived