• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

Yup. I'm done getting my nose rubbed in shit. I'm also tired of the world of pro-wrestling being curated by their selective, revisionist history. There's an entire generation of fans who exist today who know nothing but WWE because WWE rigged the game to ensure that was the case.

Maclin cut a promo on Nic Nemeth last week with a line like "no one is gonna remember Nic Nemeth, they're only going to ask whatever the hell happened to Dolph Ziggler?" Got a good pop, but I also kinda hated it because of how true it is.

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. I'm done getting my nose rubbed in shit. I'm also tired of the world of pro-wrestling being curated by their selective, revisionist history. There's an entire generation of fans who exist today who know nothing but WWE because WWE rigged the game to ensure that was the case.

Maclin cut a promo on Nic Nemeth last week with a line like "no one is gonna remember Nic Nemeth, they're only going to ask whatever the hell happened to Dolph Ziggler?" Got a good pop, but I also kinda hated it because of how true it is.

Yes, there's a lot of truth to it. Good for TNA to get him, though. He's a very good worker and it's a nice acquisition to lead them into the re-rebrand. lol

Kurt Angle has been talking about this for years, lamenting that so much of his career is just essentially unknown to WWE fans who, the moment he left, refused to accept that anything exists outside the "WWE universe." That phrase alone is reason for me to not want to watch. It's not just a misnomer, it's a thumb in the eye. Universe implies, by its nature, that something exists other than just you. WWE won't even properly count Ric Flair's world title reigns, let alone mention "the competition" — another joke, considering no one, not even AEW, is actually on their level (or ever will be).

Yup. Angle has gone on record saying he thinks most of his best matches were in TNA (and he's right). That's why it's such a shame that the WWE audience have been so conditioned to not even see them, let alone appreciate them.

AEW Attendances Approaching WCW 2000 Levels

One of the things is that like the last quarter, there were a lot of weak advances in the last quarter. But they had a lot of the shows where they got late buys, whether it was Bryan and Okada or Mistico or having the MJF and Kenny Omega match, or just good local promotion, sending guys in or lowering ticket prices, things like that. So I kind of got whatever the word is, kind of got lulled into this sense of, okay, the advances suck, but it’s not that bad. And it really wasn’t that bad the last quarter. Well, now, it’s that bad and it looks worse.

I mean, the Wednesday show. They’re under 2,000. 4,000 to me is fine for AEW, under 4,000 is not so great, under 3,000 is pretty bad. And under 2,000 is really bad, especially when you’re coming to the city once a year. They got Tulsa coming up, they’ve never been to Tulsa, and they’re under 2,000 there as well.

There’s always exceptions to every rule. But in more cases than not, they go down. And it’s like, okay, when you’re at four [thousand], and you’re going down, and not so great. When you’re 2,800 and you’re going down in a major city, where are you headed? I mean you’re getting now to WCW 2000.

People hate when I use that term, but they’re getting there and that’s a scary place to be. And I mean, there’s a lot of slight things that they could do, but they haven’t. I know that there’s Kosha Irby in and this is actually his job, his job is going to be to get this stuff up. And it’s way too early to put any blame on him. He just got there.

https://tjrwrestling.net/news/aew-attendances-approaching-wcw-2000-levels/

Yes!! Sounds like another really good lineup this year. The Kurt Angle one is probably mostly a rehash of the documentary Peacock did, but obviously it'll be darker. It's an incredible show. I think I binged the first four seasons in less than a week. I couldn't stop.

Edited by Sharpshooter